OEM Sunrider or Trektop NX + Element doors - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 82
OEM Sunrider or Trektop NX + Element doors

Like everyone else, I can hardly wait until it's warm enough to take the top off but I only have a hardtop and want a soft top for the spring and summer for my 2011 2-door Black Rubicon.

I've researched all of the threads I could on the OE soft top and how the Supertop NX will be a very close match so once the NX version is available it will be a great alternative.

I can get the OEM Sunrider for $1500 (including tax) locally and the Supertop NX looks to be about $400 cheaper from pre-order sites.

Then there is the Trektop NX that will be about $900 cheaper and looks to be pretty trick for around $600.

I had budgeted for the OEM top this spring but I'm thinking that with the money saved on the Trektop, I could buy a set of element doors, complete with uppers and have a really nice setup... or so I'm thinking.

No one has the Trektop NX yet but does the combo of the Trektop NX and the element doors sound like a good combination and does anyone have any likes or dislikes about them that you can share?

Here are some pics of the Supertop and Trektop NX's from Bestop's site... Bestop Image Library - Powered by photokorn


Here are the element doors... http://www.bestop.com/dealers/images/index.php?action=showgal&cat=48&ppage=1


Appreciate any input.

wsettle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
The biggest differences between the Trektop and the super top will be the ease of removal and installation. And the ability to have the top with you at all times.. Your preference will dictate which would be better for you. Do you plan to run topless often, live in an area that you will want to close it up quickly? If you can leave it topless for long periods of time or plan on only running it safari style then the Trektop is an awesome choice. If you live where rain is a common thing, or you feel the need to button it up regularly then the Supertop will probably suit you better. The support structure of the frame makes it easy to remove/install, and it's always with you in emergencies...

__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 82
We have long spells of wet weather then long spells of dry weather in Arkansas and it's fairly predictable if I keep an eye on the Weather channel trends.

I had originally thought that I'd just run topless and carry a bestop trail cover for the occasional forcasting mess up but I know from having a Camaro convertible that I just can't handle the sun all the time so I'm thinking a safari style top would be great and I really like the idea of no windows all around. I could always carry the trail cover just in case.

Is there any reason I can't carry the Trektop all the time and are you saying that it is more difficult to put up than the Supertop?
wsettle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
You can carry it with you, if you have room for it, but it does take longer to install than just raising a framed top. Trail covers are fantastic, I love mine, but you can't drive with it on, if a sudden downpour occurs. As you mentioned the sun can be brutal. Consider also the option of a SpiderWeb sunshade.. They are mesh tops that can be left on under your softop and still permit airflow which is a problem with solid safari style tops, and you can see through them so you have a more open feeling, but it is much cooler than bare. Love mine! I was not fully aware until last summer one day when thunderstorms loomed and the top was down just how much hotter it is running safari style than with only the spiderweb. Here in the Ohio river valley we get hot hot hot and humid, and when it's 95* in the shade and the top is up all that hot nasty air is trapped right over head.... I didn't like it a bit.
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 82
Every time I see something I want for the Jeep, someone convinces me that I need to buy something else... does it ever end

It's really humid down here in the spring and summer as well so the sunshade sounds like a great idea Thanks for the info.
wsettle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oak Harbor WA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsettle View Post
Like everyone else, I can hardly wait until it's warm enough to take the top off but I only have a hardtop and want a soft top for the spring and summer for my 2011 2-door Black Rubicon.

I've researched all of the threads I could on the OE soft top and how the Supertop NX will be a very close match so once the NX version is available it will be a great alternative.

I can get the OEM Sunrider for $1500 (including tax) locally and the Supertop NX looks to be about $400 cheaper from pre-order sites.

Then there is the Trektop NX that will be about $900 cheaper and looks to be pretty trick for around $600.

I had budgeted for the OEM top this spring but I'm thinking that with the money saved on the Trektop, I could buy a set of element doors, complete with uppers and have a really nice setup... or so I'm thinking.

No one has the Trektop NX yet but does the combo of the Trektop NX and the element doors sound like a good combination and does anyone have any likes or dislikes about them that you can share?

Here are some pics of the Supertop and Trektop NX's from Bestop's site... Bestop Image Library - Powered by photokorn


Here are the element doors... http://www.bestop.com/dealers/images/index.php?action=showgal&cat=48&ppage=1


Appreciate any input.
Try looking of Craigslist. Here in the Seattle area, they are listed around $500- $700. These are new OEM tops in their boxes from individuals that don't want them. No way would I buy one from the dealer. Do some shopping around.
Whoville Islander is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 82
There are more people in Kansas City than the entire state of Arkansas. It's brutal trying to find a local deal around here but that's a good thought. But I guess if I found one a few hundred miles away, it would be worth it. Thanks.

A couple of years ago I wanted to by a XR650R. I looked for months and nothing closer than 400 miles away. Finally had to drive to Kansas to find one. That's the way it goes in the smaller cities.
wsettle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
ncossey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsettle
There are more people in Kansas City than the entire state of Arkansas. It's brutal trying to find a local deal around here but that's a good thought. But I guess if I found one a few hundred miles away, it would be worth it. Thanks.

A couple of years ago I wanted to by a XR650R. I looked for months and nothing closer than 400 miles away. Finally had to drive to Kansas to find one. That's the way it goes in the smaller cities.
Good luck finding any jk parts on craigslist in arkansas. Trust me, Ive been attempting it for quite a while now.
__________________
There are very few vehicles that can be defined as "made for offroad". Unfortunately, the Wrangler can definitely be defined as "made for offroad" by its inability to handle well on road
ncossey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsettle View Post
Every time I see something I want for the Jeep, someone convinces me that I need to buy something else... does it ever end

It's really humid down here in the spring and summer as well so the sunshade sounds like a great idea Thanks for the info.
They're cheap. If you are inclined, they are even cheaper to make.... And not hard. Have a look at their website. I made one for about half what they cost. I also own one of theirs. They really are a nice addition to a topless Jeep And now you know why they say "Just Empty Every Pocket"
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 82
I've seen you comment on "every convertible I've ever had leaks".

What do you think about the Trektop NX where ALL the windows zip out?

Sounds like a great opportunity to leak like a sieve which I don't want.

Would the OEM top be better from an leakage standpoint?

wsettle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep JK Bestop Highrock Element Half Doors With Upper Doors (Windows)! - $600 Blackbeard1718 Classifieds Archive 5 07-31-2010 07:16 PM
Trektop and Element doors=giggity! :) thaduke2003 JK General Discussion Forum 13 07-10-2010 05:16 PM
Finally put on the Element Doors bflank JK General Discussion Forum 6 07-09-2010 11:00 PM
Tube Doors That Dont Rattle Quantum JK General Discussion Forum 13 02-12-2010 08:35 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC