Ok need help on DS and gearing. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wmwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 1,344
Ok need help on DS and gearing.

Ok its clear to me my next buy should be a F/B drive shafts and new gears so I have more power going up hills. Can you guys post links to what I need to get I have a 2010 2 door JK sport. With 35's and a 4" lift.

wmwhitey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wmwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 1,344
I have been searching for what gears I have now but cant find it?

wmwhitey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Do you have a manual or automatic? If it is a Auto you have 3.73 gear. Manual is another story, a manual came standard with 3.21 but you could buy a 3.73 upgrade. If manual, you could get it up to 70mph in 6th gear and post the tire size and rpms and the gear can be determined from that info.

For what gears to go to for 35's

5.13 for Auto
4.56 for Manual (may have to go to 4.88 though, 4.56 is hard gears to find in a quality set)

Why go to 4" lift? 3" is plenty for 35's and you have a lot less to deal with. No DS issues and other problems that can occur when going higher
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,379
Even a 2.5” lift is plenty for 35’s. Oh well, OP already has the 4” on.

You should go for 4.88’s. As for DS, Tom Woods, JE Reel etc

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
OP aughta tell us what tranny he's got--

If it's an auto and non-ruby--5.13s the best he can do !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
OP aughta tell us what tranny he's got--

If it's an auto and non-ruby--5.13s the best he can do !

JIMBO

Jimbo is right. I misread and thought the OP had a 2012.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Thanx Dan, I don't blame anybody for getting these two data banks mixed--


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Jimbo is right. I misread and thought the OP had a 2012.

-Dan
Usually a new 2012 owner will just ask the question, then we've gotta go thru family history/police reports/immigration status/insurance data--

It would be so simple if they just said-Hi, I have these questions about my xxxx/2012 jeep sport !

Not much chance ofit !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wmwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 1,344
It is manual tranny
wmwhitey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwhitey
It is manual tranny
I'd go 4.88 then. The manual tranny helps the DS thing a bit. If you are just cruising and light wheeling you can keep the stock ones and you will probably be fine. If you go harder it can break. The slip joint boot us usually the thing to rip with a manual and that is not as important and you don't really need it. If you rip the CV joint boot tho you have just enough miles left on it to go to enterprise, rent a car, and wait for a few days while the new driveshaft is being mailed to you
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wmwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
I'd go 4.88 then. The manual tranny helps the DS thing a bit. If you are just cruising and light wheeling you can keep the stock ones and you will probably be fine. If you go harder it can break. The slip joint boot us usually the thing to rip with a manual and that is not as important and you don't really need it. If you rip the CV joint boot tho you have just enough miles left on it to go to enterprise, rent a car, and wait for a few days while the new driveshaft is being mailed to you

Yea i have another thread on here about gears your post was about the same as a few others I am going with 4.88 gears and will buy f/b DS later and just keep as a back up.
wmwhitey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,969
Images: 3
If your not to woried about milage you can go as low as you want or can. My 5.38's are being set up right now so that should put me at over 3grand in 6'th at 70 mph with my 37's. I drove a week without using 6'th gear to see what I thouht about turning that many rpm and I found that my jeep loves runing over 3 grand. Heck the 3.8 runs smother at 3 grand then most chevys Iv had. Fule milage took a 1.5 mpg hit by not using 6'th but to be honest thats something that never crosed my mind when desideing what size gears to go with.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wmwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
If your not to woried about milage you can go as low as you want or can. My 5.38's are being set up right now so that should put me at over 3grand in 6'th at 70 mph with my 37's. I drove a week without using 6'th gear to see what I thouht about turning that many rpm and I found that my jeep loves runing over 3 grand. Heck the 3.8 runs smother at 3 grand then most chevys Iv had. Fule milage took a 1.5 mpg hit by not using 6'th but to be honest thats something that never crosed my mind when desideing what size gears to go with.

I also thought about running the gearing that you have and running at 3 grand but it will only put more wear on your engine and shorten the life span in the long run.
wmwhitey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,969
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwhitey

I also thought about running the gearing that you have and running at 3 grand but it will only put more wear on your engine and shorten the life span in the long run.
This is true but its not going to make that big of a difrence.

Besides I plan on keeping my jeep for a long time but the motor not quite so long.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwhitey View Post
It is manual tranny

So is Chaz Bono

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wmwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
So is Chaz Bono

-Dan
wmwhitey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwhitey View Post
I also thought about running the gearing that you have and running at 3 grand but it will only put more wear on your engine and shorten the life span in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
This is true but its not going to make that big of a difrence.

Besides I plan on keeping my jeep for a long time but the motor not quite so long.
Right, the question is really about preference. For me personally, I don't like cruising for long periods of time at over 3k RPMs and having nowhere to upshift to.

I did it for about a week just to try it by keeping it in 4th on the highway. IMO, it was too loud and the engine braking came on too strong whenever I let off the pedal. Plus, I'd rather go with a gearing that puts me in a comfortable cruising RPM in 6th at around 70 mph (somewhere in the 2300 to 2800 neighborhood), and then just be able to downshift to 5th if I want to spin over 3k for awhile for whatever reason.

Just my two cents.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wmwhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ewa Beach Hawaii
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Right, the question is really about preference. For me personally, I don't like cruising for long periods of time at over 3k RPMs and having nowhere to upshift to.

I did it for about a week just to try it by keeping it in 4th on the highway. IMO, it was too loud and the engine braking came on too strong whenever I let off the pedal. Plus, I'd rather go with a gearing that puts me in a comfortable cruising RPM in 6th at around 70 mph (somewhere in the 2300 to 2800 neighborhood), and then just be able to downshift to 5th if I want to spin over 3k for awhile for whatever reason.

Just my two cents.
I am rite there with you on that one for two years I was stationed at FT Bragg and my wife was stationed at the Pentagon I did a lot of highway driving. that was before the tires and lift so if we get stationed apart again I will need the gears.

wmwhitey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar Kits for 97-06 TJ Wranglers and 07-11 JK Wranglers Baseline 4x4 Outfitters Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 33 06-27-2012 09:07 AM
HELP! sad day for the jeep. Jeep_Heron TJ General Discussion Forum 15 04-07-2012 09:15 AM
1991 2.5 manual transmission help jeeper josh YJ Tech Forum 10 04-07-2012 02:24 AM
Question on alternate vehicle New2012JEEP JK General Discussion Forum 45 04-04-2012 12:57 PM
Help with tires Dapointa77 JK General Discussion Forum 3 04-04-2012 09:40 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC