Old Man Emu Shock question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 736
Old Man Emu Shock question

I wanted to get a few opinions on which OME shocks to order. After reading up, i've decided on the Nitrocharger Sport shocks but they are offered in 0-3" and 4-6".

I have a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift coming and i've heard of people getting 3.5-4 out of it so I'm on the fence about which length to order. I see that Metal Cloak offers these shocks with their 2.5 AND their 3.5" kits but I'm not sure which ones they include. Going to give them a call today to find out (and maybe order a pair of their UCAs).

Anyone running the OMEs with the RK coils?

ilikeguns is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 736
Okay.. did some more digging and found this quote form Matson from Metal Cloak.

"The OME shocks are the long travel variants of the NitroChargers (Front: 60066L - Rear: 60067L)"

So it looks like they are including a shock that is for 4-6" lift with a 2.5" kit? I am curious about the amount of up travel I would get out of these shocks.

ilikeguns is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,757
Longer shocks will get you the most travel out of your 2.5" kit.

You more concerned with the length and not what's listed for lift heights on the shock.

You're good to go.
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Longer shocks will get you the most travel out of your 2.5" kit.

You more concerned with the length and not what's listed for lift heights on the shock.

You're good to go.
Yeah, my concern was that for the 2.5" lift height that the shock would be mostly compressed and not allow sufficient up travel. I'm probably over-thinking it but I don't want to drop $380 without being damn well sure...
ilikeguns is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,757
4-6" shock is recommended for that lift. Most people get 3-4" of actual lift anyways.
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
4-6" shock is recommended for that lift. Most people get 3-4" of actual lift anyways.
sounds good! thanks man
ilikeguns is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,757
Going to be a sweet setup !!
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW WA
Posts: 1,172
NO DON"T DO IT!!!

You'll end up buying extended brake lines, sway bar discos, fancy spherical control arms and on and on to make it stretch even further.

Every loading dock and roadside ditch becomes and "lets try it" object.

Next you'll want a front locker, then a rear...it's an uncurable sickness, worse than a zombie bite.

OME Long Travel shocks are bad news man, I'm warning you...

TrueNorth is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
NO DON"T DO IT!!!

You'll end up buying extended brake lines, sway bar discos, fancy spherical control arms and on and on to make it stretch even further.

Every loading dock and roadside ditch becomes and "lets try it" object.

Next you'll want a front locker, then a rear...it's an uncurable sickness, worse than a zombie bite.

OME Long Travel shocks are bad news man, I'm warning you...

sorry man.. you are WAY too late. I've already priced out the MC upper control arms, brake lines, MC adjustable bump stops, adams front DS and a few other goodies. Lockers are on the list along with a PR44 but some serious changes to my cash flow need to happen before that comes to be.

so from one addict to another.. how do you like them?
ilikeguns is online now   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
kurtz265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 710
Bro- im going to have to make an appearance Saturday for the install. You gonna have all your stuff delivered by then?
kurtz265 is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,596
Saturday, will be an awesome mod day.

Kurtz, I'm going to be ordering the Teraflex hinge and possibly the accessory mount, do you remember if they were still behind on the orders when you got yours?
__________________
-Lou
'12 JK Rubicon
Matador is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
OffRoadCam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Saturday, will be an awesome mod day.

Kurtz, I'm going to be ordering the Teraflex hinge and possibly the accessory mount, do you remember if they were still behind on the orders when you got yours?
Uh oh brown Santa is gonna be busy lol. I'll probably be ordering 2.5" lift Saturday as well
OffRoadCam09 is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
DJL2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The center of the universe, NC
Posts: 860
Go with the LT shocks...I wish I had...honestly, at around 3.5 inches of lift, the OME LT will be pretty close to stock in terms of the up travel they offer by virtue of the fact that they offer so much more overall travel. The increase in collapsed length of the shock is similar to the height of the lift - which is why the up travel remains similar. The down travel will increase significantly. That, then, is good reason for new bump stops as well as extended break lines and possibly coil retainers.

Of course, it looks like you already decided that.
DJL2 is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
kurtz265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Saturday, will be an awesome mod day.

Kurtz, I'm going to be ordering the Teraflex hinge and possibly the accessory mount, do you remember if they were still behind on the orders when you got yours?
Im about positive they were caught up- the accessory mount is definitely nice.
kurtz265 is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtz265 View Post
Bro- im going to have to make an appearance Saturday for the install. You gonna have all your stuff delivered by then?
saturday will not be an install day for me. Shocks are on backorder and I haven't ordered the UCAs, brake lines and bump stops yet. Lift will be here tomorrow though... We still are gonna get together at matadors though.. there is always stuff to do...
ilikeguns is online now   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: BC
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
saturday will not be an install day for me. Shocks are on backorder and I haven't ordered the UCAs, brake lines and bump stops yet. Lift will be here tomorrow though... We still are gonna get together at matadors though.. there is always stuff to do...
ilikeguns, Did you end up receiving your OME shocks? I ordered the OME JK lift kit but the front shocks hadn't arrived, was told that they're backordered. Wondering how long it'll be.
Trexuphigh is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexuphigh View Post

ilikeguns, Did you end up receiving your OME shocks? I ordered the OME JK lift kit but the front shocks hadn't arrived, was told that they're backordered. Wondering how long it'll be.
I have not.. Yet.. Going to hopefully order next week. Got hit with a few unplanned expenses. When did you order and how much did you pay? (if you don't mind me asking)
ilikeguns is online now   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: BC
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
I have not.. Yet.. Going to hopefully order next week. Got hit with a few unplanned expenses. When did you order and how much did you pay? (if you don't mind me asking)
I'm in BC so our prices are higher, but I got it for $1020, for the 2" sport kit, however I've seen this kit for about $800 online. I bought mine through my installer. I also got the BDS exhaust spacer. Since most of my kit is 80% delivered, just waiting on the two shocks, I'm thinking of just getting a pair of Bilsteins or Foxes. I don't know, I'll try to be patient.
Trexuphigh is offline   Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
sorry man.. you are WAY too late. I've already priced out the MC upper control arms, brake lines, MC adjustable bump stops, adams front DS and a few other goodies. Lockers are on the list along with a PR44 but some serious changes to my cash flow need to happen before that comes to be.

so from one addict to another.. how do you like them?
Could you please tell me your springs and shocks numbers?

Thanks!

JK_YV is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC