I know there have been many threads on painting wheels, but I thought some of you might find my experience helpful.
Mission: Inexpensively black out the stock wheels without taking them off the car or messing anything up.
What you need:
$14 - Two cans of Rustoleum black bed liner
$2 - an entire copy of yesterday's newspaper
Free - a big wheel shaped piece of cardboard
$3 - blue painters tape
- rubbing alcohol
- paper towels
$8 - your favorite beer
Total time committed - roughly 2 hours
First things first, have a drink. This should take you approx 5 minutes. Open another and get to work.
1. Rub down the wheels w the alcohol and paper towels until they look shiny and nice
2. Use the painters tape to protect those lug nuts. Tape them good. Use a screwdriver to really make sure it's on there.
3. Stuff the wheel cavities with newspaper to protect the exposed breaks etc. Dont skimp out here.
4. Cut your cardboard to about the tire size- i made mine a half tire size and just shimmied around.
5. Have at another beer while you shake up the Rustoleum for a few minutes. Make sure it isn't cold or it'll come out pretty clumpy.
6. Using the cardboard as a tire guard, spray the sucker down. Tips- Less is more, keep a healthy distance, if you mess up you can rub it off and try again
7. Have one more drink while you wait for it to dry - approx half hour
8. Remove newspaper, remove painters tape, sober up, and enjoy!
Note: this stuff is difficult to get off your hands so watch out for that