Pentastar lifter noise - Page 4 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #91
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
I had the windows down today and noticed the "sewing machine" effect. All my chrysler cars always had noisy valve trains, but this one is by far the loudest. Didn't really notice until today, but The wife said its always sounded like that. I've got a warranty of anything happens.

__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #92
Jeeper
 
Ballandchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,047
Images: 2
I have found that the best way to get rid of this noise for good is to reach up to the dash, find the large knob to the left that says "volume,on/off" and turn clockwise. You'll never hear it again......

__________________
Current:2012 Dozer Sahara Past: 97 4banger x2, 2001 Sport heavily modified, 08 Rubicon. "I'm glad that I'm not like most people. That's because I think most people are stupid." -Me
Ballandchain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #93
Jeeper
 
tazoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballandchain
i have found that the best way to get rid of this noise for good is to reach up to the dash, find the large knob to the left that says "volume,on/off" and turn clockwise. You'll never hear it again......
rofl!!!
tazoez is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #94
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggsie View Post
To me it sounds more like an exhaust leak, but it could be lifter related too.
when the rig is warmed up... and sometimes when i'm basically flooring it till about 5k... there's occasionally a rattling/ticking/exhaust-leak/something in the glove box kind of noise...

it's weird... but doesn't alarm me. i wonder if the loop in the exhaust plays a factor?
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #95
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 80
Here is a link of a Youtube video of my Cosmos JKUR and the noise it was making. You can really hear the noise when I move the camera down by the exhaust.
Riggsie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #96
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggsie
Here is a link of a Youtube video of my Cosmos JKUR and the noise it was making. You can really hear the noise when I move the camera down by the exhaust.
Sounds normal to me.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #97
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 80
Definitely not normal. Engine was as quiet as can be until 2600 miles or so. It was even louder before I traded it off. The video was made with my iPhone. When I have time I will post a video shot in the same manner with the 12 JKUR I traded the noisy one for.
Riggsie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #98
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggsie
Definitely not normal. Engine was as quiet as can be until 2600 miles or so. It was even louder before I traded it off. The video was made with my iPhone. When I have time I will post a video shot in the same manner with the 12 JKUR I traded the noisy one for.
Sounds like mine. It's sounded like that from day one.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #99
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-Rubicon

It's probably rocker noise most people just call valvetrain noise "lifter noise" wheather it is or not......now try telling me ohc engines don't have rockers...
They have hydraulic "lifters", that can make noise like any other engine. The lifter is at the end of the rocker, opposite of the valve spring end, in the head.
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #100
Jeeper
 
Ballandchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,047
Images: 2
That doesn't sound bad. You should hear the lifters on a MINI. Sounds like a diesel.....
__________________
Current:2012 Dozer Sahara Past: 97 4banger x2, 2001 Sport heavily modified, 08 Rubicon. "I'm glad that I'm not like most people. That's because I think most people are stupid." -Me
Ballandchain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #101
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballandchain
That doesn't sound bad. You should hear the lifters on a MINI. Sounds like a diesel.....
Funny you say that. Sometimes I think that about my JKU
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #102
Jeeper
 
Snailpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 98
That sound is not normal in the 3.6. My Town and Country is so quiet with the hood open, I swear I could set a metronome to the injectors. Same engine. My Jeep sounds like a 225 slant with 150K on it at times.
Snailpower is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #103
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpower
That sound is not normal in the 3.6. My Town and Country is so quiet with the hood open, I swear I could set a metronome to the injectors. Same engine. My Jeep sounds like a 225 slant with 150K on it at times.
That tick sound? Im not sure on the other 3.6L applications, but the other wrangler we drove sounded the same as that video. Same as mine does now.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #104
Jeeper
 
Snailpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 98
I have heard some with it and some without. No rhyme or reason to it. If you had both my van hood and Jeep hood open, and both sitting side by side, you wouldn't believe they are the same engine.
Snailpower is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #105
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpower View Post
I have heard some with it and some without. No rhyme or reason to it. If you had both my van hood and Jeep hood open, and both sitting side by side, you wouldn't believe they are the same engine.

Huh? I'd worry more, but it's done that from day one. If the engine fails out of warranty I'll have a spare 6.1L soon.....
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #106
Jeeper
 
Overtrained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seaford- New York
Posts: 259
Changed the oil on my 2012 jeep for the first time @ 2300 miles. The valvetrain and injectors are noisy but nothin I'm to concerned about. Mobil 1 synthetic seemed to help. When it blows up the dealer will get a call, until then, happy jeeping!
Overtrained is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #107
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtrained View Post
Changed the oil on my 2012 jeep for the first time @ 2300 miles. The valvetrain and injectors are noisy but nothin I'm to concerned about. Mobil 1 synthetic seemed to help. When it blows up the dealer will get a call, until then, happy jeeping!

Very well said. It's a jeep!!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #108
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Huh? I'd worry more, but it's done that from day one. If the engine fails out of warranty I'll have a spare 6.1L soon.....
Mine was silent until 2600 miles. Our new 2012 is silent compared to the one we traded in. Going to put Max Care on it and Jeep it! I posted the video so people could compare. Most new ones are very quiet and this is one of Chrysler's selling points.
Riggsie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #109
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-Rubicon View Post
Yup, my Trans am with the LS sounded like that too!
My vette has the 7 liter engine, and it ticks a good bit as well. I confess: I sorta like the sound.

CL
clogan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #110
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 590
does anyone have any fancy pentastar intake/exhaust motor-head images?

i gotta get this figured out in my head.

[i wonder if my acceleration exhaust-leak-esque, sometimes-noise, is related to this design feature. it doesn't sound "broken"... but i've never herd this kinda noise before]
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #111
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler2012
does anyone have any fancy pentastar intake/exhaust motor-head images?

i gotta get this figured out in my head.
Google Pentastar
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #112
Jeeper
 
j.luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mercedes
Posts: 654
if that sounds like a bad engine it sounds just like mine. i love mine though.
Let me know if jeep is buying back all the Jeeps with the Pentastar engine.
IMO, I think modifying the exhaust loop will help with the problem...
__________________
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine, 5sp Auto Trans.
Connectivity Group, Max Tow, Hard Top(Black), 4:10 gears... Bright White Clear Coat.
j.luis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #113
Jeeper
 
mcrodney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
I have an srt 10 quad cab. My second. The injectors are so loud everyone including Chrysler mechanics that have never heard them think it's engine noise. A simple scope can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
mcrodney is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #114
Jeeper
 
dwindeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 558
I also got to thinking how going from cast exhaust manifolds to headers changes the sound to a kind of tiny sound, could the new manifold-less exhaust be creating this sound effect?
dwindeck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #115
Jeeper
 
redrockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
Have a slight frequency related engine rattle at start up then goes away with rpm increase. Hood on my Sahara is insulated. Going to change oil soon. 749 miles on it now.
redrockman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #116
Jeeper
 
mcrodney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockman
Have a slight frequency related engine rattle at start up then goes away with rpm increase. Hood on my Sahara is insulated. Going to change oil soon. 749 miles on it now.
That sounds like lifter rattle. This happens until the oil is in the top to lubricate.
mcrodney is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #117
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwindeck View Post
I also got to thinking how going from cast exhaust manifolds to headers changes the sound to a kind of tiny sound, could the new manifold-less exhaust be creating this sound effect?
it's gotta be.

[side note] it's been an unusually warm December. which sucks because i want it to snow.. but with the windows open more i can hear the exhaust more ...which sounds great...and that other noise less, also great! -my little race Jeep

i feel the 3.21 gears like to be held in gear to a higher RPM... "eco" may stop at 2.5k... but i usually switch at 3k or after. i've never driven one with 3.23's or 4.10's.. but my JK usually always needs 1st gear. i bet 2nd gear pull outs are more common in the "lower" gearing rigs?
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #118
Jeeper
 
ranjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lowell, AR
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler2012
"eco" may stop at 2.5k... but i usually switch at 3k or after.
ECO doesn't stop at 2.5K, here's a pic of me running 80mph with it on.

Attachment 86605
__________________
2012 Rubicon Unlimited
Black, Auto, 4.10
Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer Lite, 37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, JCR Stinger & Rear Crusader Tire carrier with Rotopax, Recon 10.5K winch, Evo Protek skids, ACE sliders, sPod, Viair ADA
My YouTube Videos
ranjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #119
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjr View Post
ECO doesn't stop at 2.5K, here's a pic of me running 80mph with it on.

Attachment 86605
automatic, huh?

...see that green bar in your tachometer that runs from 1k-2.5?? ...about 2.5k RPM is exactly when my "ECO ON" light shuts off. [no mater which of the 6 gears i'm in] .which makes MPG sense... but certainly doesn't require shifting by then.
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #120
Jeeper
 
ranjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lowell, AR
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler2012

automatic, huh?

...see that green bar in your tachometer that runs from 1k-2.5?? ...about 2.5k RPM is exactly when my "ECO ON" light shuts off. [no mater which of the 6 gears i'm in] .which makes MPG sense... but certainly doesn't require shifting by then.
Yes, it's an auto.

I run more than 2.5K at 70 so my ECO light would never be on if it did like yours.

__________________
2012 Rubicon Unlimited
Black, Auto, 4.10
Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer Lite, 37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, JCR Stinger & Rear Crusader Tire carrier with Rotopax, Recon 10.5K winch, Evo Protek skids, ACE sliders, sPod, Viair ADA
My YouTube Videos
ranjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dam Lifter Noise WaterDR TJ General Discussion Forum 8 10-10-2011 01:03 AM
Lifter Noise all3lemmons YJ Tech Forum 5 05-05-2011 12:10 AM
Lifter noise Guard TJ Tech Forum 2 11-01-2010 08:17 AM
lifter noise mrobin YJ Tech Forum 3 05-28-2010 01:53 PM
lifter noise salmansaif YJ Tech Forum 1 12-22-2007 09:29 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC