Plasti Dip grille - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Plasti Dip grille

Anyone done this to their jeep? If so, any pics or instructions on doing it right? Haha

PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Tj

Best advice... Prep is key

2-3 or more coats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3689014154.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	87490  

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Tj

Best advice... Prep is key

2-3 or more coats.
Did you have to put anything behind the grille to keep it from getting on your radiator?
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Doing mine this weekend. Bought the plasti-dip today. Taking the grill off to paint it. Only takes a minute to pull it off, so no reason not to.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJeep

Did you have to put anything behind the grille to keep it from getting on your radiator?
Painting it?
I removed. It was actually a overlay.
Plus it was metal.

The Jk is plastic and very easy to remove.

I had used a etching primer but obviously can't with the JK..
I don't know what is best for plastic.

Seen it done on here. Wait... (Gluestick)
Bedlined his grill I think. See if he chimes In
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Master's degree in Plasti Dip:

Rustproofing help for you guys....PLASTIDIP

Same principal, different application:

Plasti Dip Coating Wheels
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf
Master's degree in Plasti Dip:

Rustproofing help for you guys....PLASTIDIP

Same principal, different application:

Plasti Dip Coating Wheels
Awesome, thanks!
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit
Doing mine this weekend. Bought the plasti-dip today. Taking the grill off to paint it. Only takes a minute to pull it off, so no reason not to.
If you take any pics I'd like to see them, especially since I also have a silver JKU!
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,478
__________________
I brake for humans.
Maryland Flag JEEP Stickers!!

My 3/4 link build
TJe0454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
For anyone else wondering how to remove the grille...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...moval-1081265/
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Riccochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere around Charlotte
Posts: 697
I did my JKR wheels as well as my 240SX and GSR wheels. What I learned, and maybe yall can use this as well, is the stuff doesn't run all that much. I did my wheels in 1 coat. And it's thick. You get a lot less texture and it looks more like a powder coat. You just have to make sure you apply it evenly across the entire object you're spraying. Spray until it looks like it's completely covered and shiny wet. Then while it's still wet use a flash light and look for thin spots and hit those up. Let it dry. You'll get a super even, flat, non-textured finish. If it does run just let it dry and peel it off and re-do it.

Oh, and I'll be doing my JKR grill and bumper soon. Once I get the stubby bumper caps and light bar.
__________________
ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Riccochet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Just wash it well, let it dry, and wipe it down with alcohol. No other prep required. Be patient, wait between coats, and apply AT LEAST 3-4 coats for optimum results. Take the grill off the car to make it braindead easy.

Post pics of result!
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Border_Beat_AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17
Did my grille a few weeks ago. I really like the results. Cleaning it is key and I also removed it prior to applying. I have noticed that it is peaking slightly inside one of the "e" logos in "Jeep". I will be reapplying a little more there to clean it up. I did 4 coats, took about 1.5 cans. Good luck.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120105_000543.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	87532
Border_Beat_AZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Take the grill off the car to make it braindead easy.
Post pics of result!
Car?

Believe I pointed this out to you in a recent PM, NYC.

Obviously didn't take. Therefore, gotta throw the gloves down. You conversant with hockey? You know what the phrase "spittin Chiclets" means? I'm gonna break you of this disgusting habit, if I do nothing else in 2012.

Ready? Here I come...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Car?

Believe I pointed this out to you in a recent PM, NYC.

Obviously didn't take. Therefore, gotta throw the gloves down. You conversant with hockey? You know what the phrase "spittin Chiclets" means? I'm gonna break you of this disgusting habit, if I do nothing else in 2012.

Ready? Here I come...
Actually, if you search all my postings, I usually call it a truck or a rig. Sometimes though, since I have 3 other cars, I forget.

60% of the time, it's correct everytime.

You stay classy WForum!
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJeep View Post
If you take any pics I'd like to see them, especially since I also have a silver JKU!
I'll make sure to take a few pics of the process. Can't decide whether I want to remove the Jeep emblem entirely or if I want to keep it chrome like the one below. This is a guys jeep from the JK-F board and his is bedlined, not plasti-dipped, but you get the idea.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit
I'll make sure to take a few pics of the process. Can't decide whether I want to remove the Jeep emblem entirely or if I want to keep it chrome like the one below. This is a guys jeep from the JK-F board and his is bedlined, not plasti-dipped, but you get the idea.
Can you just Plasti Dip the Jeep emblem along with the grille and then just cut off the part around the emblem to keep it chrome? Or would you have to remove it and essentially place it back on after it all dried?
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Ballandchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,047
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Take the grill off the car to make it braindead easy.

Post pics of result!
-3 Jeepin points for referring to your Jeep as a car. LOL , just kidding man. But seriously, don't do it again.......
__________________
Current:2012 Dozer Sahara Past: 97 4banger x2, 2001 Sport heavily modified, 08 Rubicon. "I'm glad that I'm not like most people. That's because I think most people are stupid." -Me
Ballandchain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJeep View Post
Can you just Plasti Dip the Jeep emblem along with the grille and then just cut off the part around the emblem to keep it chrome? Or would you have to remove it and essentially place it back on after it all dried?
If I decide to keep the emblem on there, I plan on just spraying right over top of it and then scoring around it with an x-acto knife and removing it from the emblem. I may just remove the emblem completely though. Can't decide.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit
If I decide to keep the emblem on there, I plan on just spraying right over top of it and then scoring around it with an x-acto knife and removing it from the emblem. I may just remove the emblem completely though. Can't decide.
Haha hey if this is the toughest decision you have to make today, I'd say that's a pretty good day! Personally, i really like how the emblem looks in that pic of the silver one... Probably convinced me to keep mine that way
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJeep View Post
Haha hey if this is the toughest decision you have to make today, I'd say that's a pretty good day! Personally, i really like how the emblem looks in that pic of the silver one... Probably convinced me to keep mine that way
True.

Some folks bedline right over it, and I think that looks fine too.


Others remove it entirely.


Right now, I am leaning towards removing it. I don't have any other chrome on the Jeep other than that emblem.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Rmeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
True.

Some folks bedline right over it, and I think that looks fine too.


Others remove it entirely.


Right now, I am leaning towards removing it. I don't have any other chrome on the Jeep other than that emblem.
How do you get the smooth result like this one..... I want to do mine but would like it to be less textured and more smooth
__________________
Rmeeks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeeks View Post
How do you get the smooth result like this one..... I want to do mine but would like it to be less textured and more smooth
Not sure what that particular owner used. All he states is that it is bedliner of some fashion. Below is a closer up pic of that Jeeps grill. The Plasti-Dip will certainly provide a smoother surface that most bedliners I would imagine. But, if you wanted a completely smooth surface, then regular flat/matte automotive paint would be your best bet.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 338
How is bug removal on those coated grills? Better or worse than painted or chrome?
Terex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Well I started the process for my grille, keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out alright!
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJeep
Well I started the process for my grille, keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out alright!
Be sure to post up pics. I'll be pulling mine off tonight and cleaning it real good then I'll spray it sometime tomorrow. Also thinking about doing my windshield brackets.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
PittJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit

Be sure to post up pics. I'll be pulling mine off tonight and cleaning it real good then I'll spray it sometime tomorrow. Also thinking about doing my windshield brackets.
They'll be coming... I think i was getting myself nervous after the first and second coat, but the third one i just put on makess it look like it's really coming together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3662906351.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	87822  
PittJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJeep View Post
They'll be coming... I think i was getting myself nervous after the first and second coat, but the third one i just put on makess it look like it's really coming together
Nothing to get nervous about. It's plasti-dip. Don't like it? Just peel it off.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
Nothing to get nervous about. It's plasti-dip. Don't like it? Just peel it off.
I want to try this on my grill, but I'm nervous about the peeling off part. How does it work? I've seen the videos, but does it damage the paint in any way ie leave a residue or dull the clear?

Thanks!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73

I want to try this on my grill, but I'm nervous about the peeling off part. How does it work? I've seen the videos, but does it damage the paint in any way ie leave a residue or dull the clear?

Thanks!
Nope. As far as I can tell, it just peeled right off.

__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HighRock 4x4 Grille Gaurd Light install Question WillSea TJ General Discussion Forum 2 11-22-2011 05:20 PM
stupid question. TJspeed TJ General Discussion Forum 6 11-09-2011 08:17 AM
Any thoughts on Mr. Grille Plastic Grille Overlay?? 97Hodgie TJ General Discussion Forum 3 08-01-2010 11:08 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC