So I have had these fenders sitting for a while, waiting for some warm weather to get my hands dirty. Getting the Jeep in my garage is "challenging" so I just wanted to wait to do it outside.
These are the Poison Spyder JK Crusher flares in aluminum. The fronts are offered in both narrow and wide configurations. I opted for the narrow front and the rears are only offered in the 1 width.
So removal of the factory fender liners, not to bad but expect to break a lot if not most of the factory clips. All the ones that attach the liner to the fender are 1 time use. The clips that hold the liner to the body usually came out fine and are reusable (helpful if you plan to reuse the liner after you cut it to fit)
Removing the clips that hold the flares to the body, again, these are hit or miss. Some pull out fine and others shatter and fly all over the place never to be seen again. Basically there is no turning back at this point unless you have extra factory clips.
Now on to the install of the flares. I am pretty mechanical and have no problem wrenching on my vehicles. I will do pretty much anything like suspension, interior etc. Only thing I am not going to dig into is say remove an engine and trans and take it apart. That being said, I would put this project at 6-7 of usual stuff. (installing some L.E.D lights would be say a 2-3)
I think this project is a 6-7 mostly because you only get 1 chance to get it right, when you are marking and drilling out holes in your body you want to make sure you do it right the first time. Plus in addition to making new holes, you are going to want to seal up the holes with touch up, undercoating etc. It's all time consuming. Measure 2x and cut once is definitely the motto here. The fronts seemed to be a little more time consuming, I think overall the fronts were slightly harder to do than the rears. The front involves drilling about 7-8 holes and it uses nuts and bolts so even if you are not perfect down to a hundredth of an inch you are pretty much OK. I will say that make sure you have some sort of drill and SAE Allen wrenches (I only had metric and they would not fit so I did the fronts all by hand with a regular allen wrench. Not recommended. I got smart and did the rears another day and purchased a set of socket SAE 6 pt wrenches and it was amazingly faster (shocker huh?)
Trimming the fender liners overall is not bad, same logic as above applies. Measure 2x and cut one. I trimmed one slightly short but overall it is fine.
The rears are tricky in that you have to use nutserts which require more exact drilling and make sure you have 17/32” drill bit. I only had a ˝ so I had to wiggle it around a bit in order to make the hole slightly bigger to fit the nutsert. Also, if you have never worked with nutserts before, there is a little uncertainty about how tight to make them. They tell you to tighten them enough but don’t go too extreme or you will damage the nutsert. Unfortunately there is no definitive way of telling and it is something you have to kinda learn at the risk of doing it too much.
Either way, overall the install went smooth and I did not have any issues. The instructions were good. The products line up and the fit was pretty perfect, no complaints in that department. The flares are definitely well made and built. Tough as hell and I would imagine it will take abuse if given. I am happy with the look overall but I will say I think the Jeep does look better with the factory flares but I did this mod more for function as I would have some rubbing on the flares at full flex. These flat style fenders offer substantially more clearance than the factory flares.
On to the pictures.