Poor man's GPS solution - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
twxsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
Moabite's right! As for you younger folks, do learn how to use a map and compass. As I watch my 3 girls grow up, they have/will learn things as I did. It seems there is a generation of people who know nothing except how to use the on/off button, and when that doesn't work, they are useless.

twxsby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
Mr.Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 323
Here is my opinion...I love google maps on the Iphone, but people ar correct...it sucks anywhere outside of town. I bought one of these, and it is amazing, no cell service needed!

https://www.orangegadgets.com/shop/p...?products_id=1

How these are not popular I will never know, especially with the bigger iphone screens coming out. Iphones are also getting cheaper, they are gonna release the 5s and 6 at the same time come this fall. 6 will have an even bigger screen.

Mr.Dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by twxsby View Post
Moabite's right! As for you younger folks, do learn how to use a map and compass. As I watch my 3 girls grow up, they have/will learn things as I did. It seems there is a generation of people who know nothing except how to use the on/off button, and when that doesn't work, they are useless.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, young people are stupid, dont know anything, and everything should be done like back in the day... Question: do you take them to a slaughter house too, to see where food comes from and learn how we used to get food in the old days?

Complain about the digital world all you want, spend thousands of dollars for all I care, but the fact of the matter remains that while you're still going about it oldschool, us young folks will be miles ajead of you. When i'm out there and i have my iphone and ipad and my fiance has her phone; with the satelite maps of the area we travel in loaded on all 3 devices, i'm really not worried. Why? Coz all 3 are not going to break at once! Rather than wasting 10-20 minutes triangulating and ESTIMATING where i am on the map, the blue dot finds me instantaneously. Also, the new 3D satelite maps have pretty much put toppography maps out of business, since you can see the changes in elevation clearly on your screen.
bloodfart is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dave View Post
Here is my opinion...I love google maps on the Iphone, but people ar correct...it sucks anywhere outside of town. I bought one of these, and it is amazing, no cell service needed!

https://www.orangegadgets.com/shop/p...?products_id=1

How these are not popular I will never know, especially with the bigger iphone screens coming out. Iphones are also getting cheaper, they are gonna release the 5s and 6 at the same time come this fall. 6 will have an even bigger screen.
You need Google Earth, not Google Maps. In google earth, the software saves all the map areas you scan over, so you can simply cache the area you're going into before setting out on the trail, so you have it even in areas without cellphone coverage.
bloodfart is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
Mr.Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 323
true, if you wanted trails/terrain. I dont know how well the iphone can cache imagery from google earth, but i suppose it would work. I am just saying for navigational purposes on road (which is what he was talking about). And d*mnit....i love that user name.
Mr.Dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Moabite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moab
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodfart View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah, young people are stupid, dont know anything, and everything should be done like back in the day... Question: do you take them to a slaughter house too, to see where food comes from and learn how we used to get food in the old days?

Complain about the digital world all you want, spend thousands of dollars for all I care, but the fact of the matter remains that while you're still going about it oldschool, us young folks will be miles ajead of you. When i'm out there and i have my iphone and ipad and my fiance has her phone; with the satelite maps of the area we travel in loaded on all 3 devices, i'm really not worried. Why? Coz all 3 are not going to break at once! Rather than wasting 10-20 minutes triangulating and ESTIMATING where i am on the map, the blue dot finds me instantaneously. Also, the new 3D satelite maps have pretty much put toppography maps out of business, since you can see the changes in elevation clearly on your screen.
No one is complaining about the digital world. I embrace it and use it all the time...probably more than you do. But I also have my brain as a backup. It takes more to corrupt my memory than a dead battery, a software error, or a glitch on a circuit board. Your iThings may not all break at once, but they can certainly all fail over the space of a few days....or even a few hours. I've lost count of the number of groups with multiple electronic devices that we've had to rescue. When you get lost or break down in the wilderness where there is no cell coverage, and the battery dies in your iPhone, and then dies in your iPad (or you drop it and it refuses to boot up), and then dies in your wife's cell phone as you wander for days attempting find your way back to civilization or at least a water source, you'll be wondering why you never learned to use a compass or map or how to navigate by the stars.

It IS, in fact, sad that someone has to turn on an electronic device to be able to tell where the sun will rise or set...or to find the north star...or even to figure out where in the hell they are. I've lost count of the people with attitudes like yours that we've had to haul out of the backcountry.

And those new 3D sat maps that you seem to be so fond of? They are notoriously inaccurate and hard to decipher. The elevation profiles in all GPS devices have always left a lot to be desired. All I can do is chuckle at your claim that they have put topos out of business. There's a reason why every rescue group in the country uses topo maps...augmented by (not replaced by) electronic data.
__________________
2013 JKUR softtop - Photos here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-...on-202906.html
Gone and fondly remembered: '03 Rubicon - Sold 10/31/12
'82 Scrambler purchased new in 1982 - sold in '96
Moabite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post

No one is complaining about the digital world. I embrace it and use it all the time...probably more than you do. But I also have my brain as a backup. It takes more to corrupt my memory than a dead battery, a software error, or a glitch on a circuit board. Your iThings may not all break at once, but they can certainly all fail over the space of a few days....or even a few hours. I've lost count of the number of groups with multiple electronic devices that we've had to rescue. When you get lost or break down in the wilderness where there is no cell coverage, and the battery dies in your iPhone, and then dies in your iPad (or you drop it and it refuses to boot up), and then dies in your wife's cell phone as you wander for days attempting find your way back to civilization or at least a water source, you'll be wondering why you never learned to use a compass or map or how to navigate by the stars.
Especially these days when you have a USB port and a 115V outlet, you would geniunely have to be dumb and careless to run out of battery power or gas while wheeling. That's basic preparation. Also, if you are unable to backtrack on your own route, then you've either been smoking crack the whole way out or there is no hope for you as a human being. There is no need for you to take shortcuts or try new ways to get back, you just backtrack on your footsteps, and as long as you half paid attention on the way in you'll be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
It IS, in fact, sad that someone has to turn on an electronic device to be able to tell where the sun will rise or set...or to find the north star...or even to figure out where in the hell they are. I've lost count of the people with attitudes like yours that we've had to haul out of the backcountry.
Things may be different in the US, but in canadia kids know their east from their west. And again... if you're unable to backtrack on the TRAIL you just came up on, knowing how to read a map is the least of your worries imo. I mean really, you are not backpacking in the backcountry, you should be following some sort of trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
And those new 3D sat maps that you seem to be so fond of? They are notoriously inaccurate and hard to decipher. The elevation profiles in all GPS devices have always left a lot to be desired. All I can do is chuckle at your claim that they have put topos out of business. There's a reason why every rescue group in the country uses topo maps...augmented by (not replaced by) electronic data.
They are not perfect by any means, you are 100% right here! There have been plenty of times when what looked like a relatively flat area ended up being a huge hill once we got there. But did that trully impact me in a major way? Not really, i could tell that the general area had steep bits so i went in prepared to run into these issues. So if it's even 75% reliable to give you a clear reprezentation of elevation changes, that's still awesome because it leaves some mistery and excitement in actually getting to your destination. Also, having a topography layer on your map app is not hard

But where I think they shine is in the extra details you get from satelite, like being able to see if the trail gets really narrow in some sections or if there are other seasonal hazards like occasional washouts of the trail. Google earth is amazing if you also add the extra layer of pictures taken by users! A lot of times a trail may look easy on both a map and on satelite imagery, but you might find from the pictures posted along the route of your trail that there are downed trees everywhere or that sections have been damaged by mudslides. That sort of information is trully priceless, even if he obstacles have been cleared, and it's only going to get better imo. The apps in the new phones and tablets are basically a swiss army knife of all posibilities, aided by the easy location by gps. Yes you should know how things work, but to what point? Are we gonna refuse to use calculators? Are we still going to teach kids how to adjust a carburetor in case we run into an EMP appocalypse? I exagerate, but you know what i mean
bloodfart is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodfart View Post
You need Google Earth. Preload the maps over wifi and you're set every time
You can do it will Nokia Map too, this feature has been available for many years. You can select states or countries and I've used it many times in Asia and Middle East (except Israel which for whatever reason map is not available). It will take about 2 minutes to lock your first location if there is no data connection.

mcdull is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC