Been mostly lurking up to now… Got myself a low miles 2012 JKUR Crush 6 speed (was willing to wait until I could find that 4 piece combination). Just trying to round up what I think I have learned and figured I would check with ya’ll to see if there are any glaring misses.
About my plans:
- Have decided that I am going the “Expedition Jeep” route. To me, this means looking for comfort of long road trips, performance in a variety of terrains (sand, mountains, water) not focused on a krawler, but do not want to be shut out from doing some more advanced runs with the local jeep groups.
- I am in it for the long haul. Found exactly the platform I am looking for, do not see myself ever looking to upgrade to a newer model unless she breaks down. Figure her lifecycle is daily driver to ultimate jeep to toy to hand me down. Meaning my choices need to take into account long term viability
- I don’t have money to do it all at once, but do have money to do it right in phases, as I am ready. Realistically a 2-3 year build to finish off the foundation below
The following is what I think I have learned as the consensus for each component. There are a million opinions, and lots of you that have gone outside of the consensus intentionally and are happy you did, but this is just trying to outline what I think I have heard…
- Lift (2.5”-3.5”)
1. AEV – Made for Jeep geometry etc. This one seems like a no brainer for my application
2. TeraFlex – High quality, perhaps not as “technical” as AEV, but really good product with great customer service
- Soft Top
1. OEM – just the gold standard, find someone with dual top group
2. Bestop – same/ similar quality, dig the fastback look, more pricey with no real advantage
– These appear to be a true individual preference, as I haven’t found a ton on performance, but think I like the look of the mids in front and tire carrier in back. For that combo it sounds like the consensus from a perceived quality / looks perspective is:
o Poison Spyder
– Same as bumpers
o Poison Spyder
- For my application sounds like I should just find some I like the looks of, haven’t found much of a consensus
(35”) – These are probably least important as they will be replaced as they wear out, if I make a mistake I can correct it in 15K miles..
- Roof Rack
These are the CORE of my build plans (I don’t understand all the light upgrades… yet), all kinds of fun ideas outside of this list, but most sound like personal preference where as the above will go into the long term satisfaction that I get out of her…
I know this is way too long of post to get a lot of responses, but would be great to hear if there is anything that I have captured wrong or am missing. Been waiting for the opportunity to do this since I was a kid, appreciate any input I receive…