Question about cat backs that do NOT dump behind the Jeep. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Thegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: northern nj
Posts: 401
Question about cat backs that do NOT dump behind the Jeep.

I was looking into the Dynomax evolution comp exhaust because I really liked the sound of it. This one dumps under the jeep. Since the jeeps have drain plugs and stuff like that they certainly are not air tight. Do you think that could be dangerous in the winter with co gas leaking in?? Or even sitting in one place for an extended period of time like bad traffic or even parked outside a store for some time??

I'm assuming it's probably safe otherwise they would never release something like that due to lawsuits and so on.. What do you guys think?? I just want to be sure it's not dangerous because I have kids in my Jeep and my wife takes it from time to time as well. Thanks

Here is a link to the exhaust system...

DynoMax 39522 - Dynomax® Ultra Flo Evolution Competition Cat-Back Exhaust in Stainless Steel for 12-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with 3.6L - Quadratec

Thegame is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
RKracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawthorne,Ca.
Posts: 793
I have had that system for over a year now.....no worrie's....even with the roof and doors off........look at me, I'm ok

__________________
1984 CJ7 3" lift 33" tires Hard ass ride.....(Gone)
2010 Rubicon Flame Red 2 door 2.5" 35" BFG's....(Gone)
2011 Rubicon Flame Red Unlimited.........(Gone)
2013 Rubicon Deep Cherry Red JKU 3" 35's.....
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door (Gone)
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door 4" Teraflex 37" BFG.....
RKracing is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Thegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: northern nj
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKracing View Post
I have had that system for over a year now.....no worrie's....even with the roof and doors off........look at me, I'm ok
lol ok im glad to hear you are ok!! Are you happy with the cat back?? Does it sound good to you and do you have the 3.8 or 3.6? Thanks
Thegame is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
2five22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,899
Unless I ran without a top all the time, I wouldn't trust exhausts that don't exit past the body.

A co-worker of mine nearly died of CO poisoning when the truck he was driving filled up with CO because of a jury rigged exhaust system.
2five22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 628
Running Trektop NX in the winter, no doors/safari mode in the summer, no problems. It's been a little over a year since I've gotten mine installed, and and it definitely toned down a bit, preferred the sound when the exhaust was still new, it was a bit more thoaty. I've been thinking of swapping it out for their Race Bullet.

Running the 3.8L, automatic, 4:10s, 35s. With overdrive off, the RPMs stay around the same when accelerating unless I mash the throttle, so it doesn't really get a change in pitch. It would definitely sound better as a manual.
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Thegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: northern nj
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
Running Trektop NX in the winter, no doors/safari mode in the summer, no problems. It's been a little over a year since I've gotten mine installed, and and it definitely toned down a bit, preferred the sound when the exhaust was still new, it was a bit more thoaty. I've been thinking of swapping it out for their Race Bullet.

Running the 3.8L, automatic, 4:10s, 35s. With overdrive off, the RPMs stay around the same when accelerating unless I mash the throttle, so it doesn't really get a change in pitch. It would definitely sound better as a manual.
Is the race bullet cat back an exhaust that dumps under the jeep also or past it?
Thegame is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Thegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: northern nj
Posts: 401
Anyone have this system? Looks like it dumps out the back and looks similar in size to the dyomax. Maybe it sounds similar.




http://www.quadratec.com/products/17605_1X08_PG.htm#
Thegame is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegame View Post
Is the race bullet cat back an exhaust that dumps under the jeep also or past it?
Since I already have the Evo Comp installed, I'd just remove the muffler and use the Race Bullet in it's place.
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JKjingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 208
Exhaust causes rust with the moisture it emits, more so in colder climates just a heads up. I know I wouldn't want to do it to my new jeep! If you live somewhere scorching hot and dry it's probably fine
JKjingle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Thegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: northern nj
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKjingle View Post
Exhaust causes rust with the moisture it emits, more so in colder climates just a heads up. I know I wouldn't want to do it to my new jeep! If you live somewhere scorching hot and dry it's probably fine
What about the stainless steel models?
Thegame is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
RKracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawthorne,Ca.
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegame View Post
lol ok im glad to hear you are ok!! Are you happy with the cat back?? Does it sound good to you and do you have the 3.8 or 3.6? Thanks
3.6 and it sounds ok 80% of the time. *About*10-20 of the time it sounds like a ricer car..........Rough example..... throttling it from 0 to 10 (max)while driving and at at 2 or 3 if you hold it steady then you have that fart can sound....lol. Just drive it like you stole it and it sounds pretty darn good. I'm looking for 1999..... That party went by to fast
__________________
1984 CJ7 3" lift 33" tires Hard ass ride.....(Gone)
2010 Rubicon Flame Red 2 door 2.5" 35" BFG's....(Gone)
2011 Rubicon Flame Red Unlimited.........(Gone)
2013 Rubicon Deep Cherry Red JKU 3" 35's.....
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door (Gone)
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door 4" Teraflex 37" BFG.....
RKracing is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
JKjingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegame View Post

What about the stainless steel models?
Not the exhaust it's self but any metal underneath like floorboards, skid plates etc.
JKjingle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Thegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: northern nj
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKracing View Post
3.6 and it sounds ok 80% of the time. *About*10-20 of the time it sounds like a ricer car..........Rough example..... throttling it from 0 to 10 (max)while driving and at at 2 or 3 if you hold it steady then you have that fart can sound....lol. Just drive it like you stole it and it sounds pretty darn good. I'm looking for 1999..... That party went by to fast
LMAO I hear you bro

Thegame is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC