Quick Tires/rims question! Help please! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
abbeypeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19
Quick Tires/rims question! Help please!

Okay well I have 35 inch tires, with 20 inch rims that came on the jeep. I want to downgrade to 17 inch rims. Can i do that without changing the tires!?

abbeypeach is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 156
You can't plug a 20" hole with a 17" rim

the rock99 is online now   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
1st_Time_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Nope.
1st_Time_Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Bonecollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 699
If you go around the rim with exactly 476 wraps of gorilla tape, keeping it a straight as possible, them follow up with 7 wraps of supper 88 electrical tape, followed by and complete and even coat of bed liner. Now do that with the other 4 rims and take to local shop to have them mounted and balanced. Good luck with your project.
Bonecollector is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
roberthleeii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeypeach View Post
Okay well I have 35 inch tires, with 20 inch rims that came on the jeep. I want to downgrade to 17 inch rims. Can i do that without changing the tires!?
go cut a 17" circle out of cardboard and hold it up to your wheel you answer will be very obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
If you go around the rim with exactly 476 wraps of gorilla tape, keeping it a straight as possible, them follow up with 7 wraps of supper 88 electrical tape, followed by and complete and even coat of bed liner. Now do that with the other 4 rims and take to local shop to have them mounted and balanced. Good luck with your project.
uhhh........ what.........
__________________
-Robert Lee

Col. Potter - '15 JKU Tank Willys Wheeler W, Premium Soft Top
OZZY - '14 JKU Black Sport S, Hard top
'88 YJ <-> sold a long time ago, favorite vehicle ever.
roberthleeii is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 217
Images: 12
Depends on the lift.
JK LOL is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 4,631
Your best option is to buy the set of wheels and tires you want. You can buy a cheap of JK takeoffs. Then sell your current wheel setups. the market for tires and rims is usually quite good since it is one of the most popular mods.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Bu11 Dozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 32
Get some off of craigslist and sell yours on Craig's list too, you should end up with a little profit because yours are more desirable
Bu11 Dozer is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu11 Dozer View Post
Get some off of craigslist and sell yours on Craig's list too, you should end up with a little profit because yours are more expensive
Fixed it

__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is online now   Quote
Reply

Tags
jku , rims , tires

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC