r Rubi shocks longer? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
slapmypc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 190
r Rubi shocks longer?

Are they longer than the standard ( sport 32" tire ) shocks?
I have a 13 jku Oscar-Mike and putting a TF perf. ( coil ) leveling kit on. Are the Red Rubi shocks worth it on a small lift? or should I just pony up for a set of Bilsteins?

slapmypc is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
tony81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 96
I know on the 2012 Rubi the shocks are adjustable. I used the standard rubi shocks after putting a 2.5" Rubicon Express Lift on. I would imagine the '13 is the same.

tony81 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony81 View Post
I know on the 2012 Rubi the shocks are adjustable. I used the standard rubi shocks after putting a 2.5" Rubicon Express Lift on. I would imagine the '13 is the same.
Say what ?
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,441
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
^
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
lysol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 558
Move over...

__________________
MINE > '14 JKUR (Fully Loaded minus NAV) Anvil
7/25 Ordered | 7/30 "D" | 8/5 "D1" | 8/23 "G" | 8/23 "JB" | 9/3 "KZ" | 9/16 "Keys in Hand"
Order time - 53 days

HERS > '13 WK2 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit V8 (Black Leather) Mineral Grey
lysol is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
HillbillyJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nun yo gyatdamn biniz!
Posts: 1,043
Bump
__________________
OUTHOUSE OFFROAD CLUB!!! We Do Shit!!


That was Purdy as hell right there!!!!

Uh.... dad... Uncle Jessie is crazy! Sooo cool though!
HillbillyJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
slapmypc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 190
Beuller.......Beuller.....
slapmypc is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Lol... That's a good freakin question. I don't know. I want to say yes but..........
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Socaltrailrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 762
Hmmmm 2012 Oem Rubi shocks adjustable?... Never heard of that
Socaltrailrider is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Binx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western mass
Posts: 399
How ?
Binx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Ruby Tuesday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony81 View Post
I know on the 2012 Rubi the shocks are adjustable. I used the standard rubi shocks after putting a 2.5" Rubicon Express Lift on. I would imagine the '13 is the same.
I'll bet my rubi shocks they are not.
Ruby Tuesday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
4DoorCrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,659
Boys you scared him off!
__________________
2012 Crush Jk sport
4DoorCrush is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Meh... The adjustable comment was not the OP.
The OP wants to know if the Rubi shocks are longer. This is a legitimate question. One I would like to know myself
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
slapmypc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 190
The real question is are the stock red rubi shocks suitable for a 2" lift. as I understand it, a Bilstein 5100 can provide more "droop" when combined with a longer coil. If the rubi shock is longer than the sport shock than it too would improve "droop".
slapmypc is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmypc View Post
The real question is are the stock red rubi shocks suitable for a 2" lift. as I understand it, a Bilstein 5100 can provide more "droop" when combined with a longer coil. If the rubi shock is longer than the sport shock than it too would improve "droop".
Any shock that is longer will provide droop.
Droop is mostly shock travel.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
HappyJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Highland, So Cal.
Posts: 228
Here you go. Compare.
__________________
'13 JKUR soft top 6 speed. That's a Jeep.

Added 4" Teraflex 8 Flexarm kit-
Tire carrier and hinge.
RC dual stabilizer.
35" BFG KM2s
HappyJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJKU View Post
Here you go. Compare.
I have a stock sport here and it's the same 24"
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

I have a stock sport here and it's the same 24"
I second this, just measured them. And i just realized something. My 7000's are the same extended length as the stock shocks. Poop. Shoulda got the longer ones :/
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post

I second this, just measured them. And i just realized something. My 7000's are the same extended length as the stock shocks. Poop. Shoulda got the longer ones :/
You get the 0-2 " ?
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

You get the 0-2 " ?
Yupp part #26's and 28's i believe. i only have a 2" budget boost and thought they would be ok, and they are. Freaking awesome. But i shouldve got the longer ones :/ especially with the disconnects i got coming. Srry to hi jack OP lol
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post

Yupp part #26's and 28's i believe. i only have a 2" budget boost and thought they would be ok, and they are. Freaking awesome. But i shouldve got the longer ones :/ especially with the disconnects i got coming. Srry to hi jack OP lol
He got his answer (we) I wanted to know too

You want a little more travel for cheap? grab some Synergy extension brackets. Crap .... There's a front set in the classifieds somewhere. You might have to add bumpstop to not over compress.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

He got his answer (we) I wanted to know too

You want a little more travel for cheap? grab some Synergy extension brackets. Crap .... There's a front set in the classifieds somewhere. You might have to add bumpstop to not over compress.
I was considering extensions but ive read they are noisy? Havent seen them in person. and yea def needs bump stops. These 32's will bury themselves real good lol
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
slapmypc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 190
Extensions and bumstops give you droop while taking away compression. I guess if I want both then I will be writing a check for new shocks!
slapmypc is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmypc View Post
Extensions and bumstops give you droop while taking away compression. I guess if I want both then I will be writing a check for new shocks!
This is true.

Extensions are not noisy. Most BB's w/o shocks use them.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

This is true.

Extensions are not noisy. Most BB's w/o shocks use them.
Maybe i will pick them up then. All i have is BB.
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Jstraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mercer county
Posts: 265
Images: 7
Rubi shocks are gas filled, better shock and tightens up the suspension for off roading. They are all around a thicker shock and piston setup and I believe ther are 85lbs of pressure. Here is a comparison photo:
http://www.jk-forum.com/attachment.p...7&d=1347497547
They look a half inch longer then stock, quarter inch from sahara.
Jstraw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,933
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraw View Post
Rubi shocks are gas filled, better shock and tightens up the suspension for off roading. They are all around a thicker shock and piston setup and I believe ther are 85lbs of pressure. Here is a comparison photo:
http://www.jk-forum.com/attachment.p...7&d=1347497547
They look a half inch longer then stock, quarter inch from sahara.
What thread is that from?

For awhile, some Sahara's got Rubi (red) shocks....or atleast had red covers.

But that pic confirms Jeep's "level" of shocks in their information.

Sport = Normal duty
Sahara = Heavy duty
Rubicon = Performance
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,933
Images: 13
I found the thread... I helped confirm something else that only a few posters seem to remember.....red shocks on Sahara's
I guess it was for 2011 only. Odd.

When my tires wear out, I will be buying Sahara take-offs for cheap. And when my shocks wear out, I will buy either Sahara or Rubi take-offs for cheap as well.

Gotta love Jeeps...

So, Rubi shocks are longer than Sahara shocks, and Sahara shocks are longer than Sport shocks. Rubi and Sahara shocks are also thicker than Sport shocks....and that makes sense, because when I wrapped my fingers around them last year, I thought that the Rubi and Sahara shocks were the same thickness, but both were thicker than Sport shocks.

Another mystery solved.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Jstraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mercer county
Posts: 265
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
I found the thread... I helped confirm something else that only a few posters seem to remember.....red shocks on Sahara's
I guess it was for 2011 only. Odd.

When my tires wear out, I will be buying Sahara take-offs for cheap. And when my shocks wear out, I will buy either Sahara or Rubi take-offs for cheap as well.

Gotta love Jeeps...

So, Rubi shocks are longer than Sahara shocks, and Sahara shocks are longer than Sport shocks. Rubi and Sahara shocks are also thicker than Sport shocks....and that makes sense, because when I wrapped my fingers around them last year, I thought that the Rubi and Sahara shocks were the same thickness, but both were thicker than Sport shocks.

Another mystery solved.
And rubi shocks are gas filled!
Jstraw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,933
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraw View Post
And rubi shocks are gas filled!
I think that is another mystery...

According to Jeep....all Wrangler's have gas shocks. (scroll down to Product Specs, and you can look at the official spec sheets for the 2012 and 2013 Wrangler....and with some digging, you can find the 2011 official spec sheet as well).


http://media.chrysler.com/newsroom.do?id=4&mid=4

Wrangler's with a 16" wheel package have low pressure gas shocks.
Wrangler's with 17" and 18" wheel packages have monotube high pressure gas shocks.


But Jeep can be so screwy with their data and updates...it can be hard to know what is true and what isn't. If the above is true, than Sport S's have different shocks than base Sports...but at the same time, Sports and Sport S's have "normal duty" suspension.

__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC