radio removal - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
sunruner19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Images: 1
radio removal

can anyone tell me how to remove the factory radio on a 2011 wrangler sport?

sunruner19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
garyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 101
very carefully...i would say youtube. They always have good things

__________________
Semper Fi 2006-2010 5711 NBC
now im a pencil pusher
garyg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
ncossey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19
can anyone tell me how to remove the factory radio on a 2011 wrangler sport?
Use a flatblade screw driver, and pop the top part of the dash off above the cd player, then carefully pull down the dash cover, and that should expose the cd player. I think you need a 8mm socket to take the bolts holding the cd player out.
__________________
There are very few vehicles that can be defined as "made for offroad". Unfortunately, the Wrangler can definitely be defined as "made for offroad" by its inability to handle well on road
ncossey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
sunruner19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg View Post
very carefully...i would say youtube. They always have good things
obviously the dash on the '11 is different from previous years and it almost looks like the center is part of the whole dash, which if this is true, would mean that you would have to remove the entire dash just to get at anything. There is a rubber insert on top of the center dash tray, which when removed, reveals a 7mm screw. What throws me off here is that the center just fits too damn well like its part of the whole dash.

I have a plastic trim removal tool and that doesnt even look like it would slip behind the center dash part.

I will search on you tube to see what i can find. Maybe this is too new for anyone to have tried it yet. The other thing i can do is just go to the dealer, have them bring it up on their screen to see how this dash comes apart. the problem with that is...........he is over 60 miles from me.
sunruner19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
KooL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW Indiana
Posts: 495
You might give your dealer a call and see if someone can explain the procedure to you... or even a local vehicle audio shop.
KooL is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Hiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 232
Images: 1
Saw this posted on another Jeep forum. It might help in case you do have to remove the entire dash:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2011-dash-removal-lockpick-camera-1120789/
__________________
2011 Wrangler Sport
Hiker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
sunruner19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
Saw this posted on another Jeep forum. It might help in case you do have to remove the entire dash:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2011-dash-removal-lockpick-camera-1120789/

Thank you for your help here. That link did the trick, now to get this avic 110bt installed..........
sunruner19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
sunruner19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Images: 1
i snapped out the pw sw plate above the heater controls and found 2 7mm screws. removed the pad on top of the center dash and found one 7mm screw. the front of the radio surround was then removed, gaining access. The harness going to the power window switches is pretty tight and does not allow too much access to the plug to disconnect the switches.

now all i need to do is figure out how to remove the 2 spd hi lo shift knob so i can remove the console. This has the chrome top on the knob. This is a std shift 6 spd, not automatic.
sunruner19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Newb
 
dlporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 5
Send a message via MSN to dlporter
What did it take to get the pw cover out? Any tools needed? I can't get mine out. I don't want to break anything trying either. Any pics of it out showing how it is held in would be really helpful.
__________________
2011 Wrangler Sport
dlporter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Sunruner19 that is the exact deck I want to get for my 2011. I could not stand what it took to get ipod integration with the proprietary solution. I would appreciate hearing about how the install went. I would also like to know if you were able to maintain the use of the steering wheel controls. If you have any pics of the install process that would be cool!
Geebler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
sunruner19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlporter View Post
What did it take to get the pw cover out? Any tools needed? I can't get mine out. I don't want to break anything trying either. Any pics of it out showing how it is held in would be really helpful.
I have a set of plastic trim removal tools which i am using on the dash. They do not scratch the dash. I purchased these thru a Mac Tool dealer, but I am sure Snapon and Mac have them also. I was not able to find them in any parts store where I am.
Using this tool which resembles a butter knife, i carefully inserted it thru the side of the pw switch panel. The panel has what i am calling 4 plastic clips which are part of the assembly. if one breaks, its non replaceable. these "clips" are located on the top and bottom and should release pretty easy as mine did. However, they do not give you much room to remove the electrical connector as the wire harness to it is kinda short. slightly pulling on it gains access to release the connector. If you have big fingers, forget it, find someone else to help you. Once this sw panel is removed, you will see 2 7mm socket size screws on the bottom. remove them with a 1/4" socket/ratchet. Top of the dash, remove the rubber tray, and there is 1 7mm screw. I pulled gently away and the center part released. This is held in with clips also, but they are of the removable or replacable type.

As far as the install of the AVIC Nav, I am waiting for the install kit and wiring adaptors. I had this radio in a Tacoma truck before, and tried installing it in a HHR which proved to be a nightmare. Crutchfield sent me the kit which included a wiring harness from Metro. Metros wiring diagram was totally wrong, repeated calls to their techs got me different answers each time and i finally gave up and put the original GM radio back in.

Crutchfield says this radio will fit. I did a trial fit with the radio surround plate and found it does fit the opening without any cutting, however the avic is not as wide as the opening, which I assume the kit will take care of. Top and bottom opening is fine, just the sides have to be filled, maybe about a 1/4" on either side.

I will take pics of this, as soon as I can, which wont be for atleast another week or so.

As far as this mod I am doing to the center console, where the cup holders are, I will find out today how to get that darn shifter knob off. I want to light up the cup holders so I can see where i am spilling everything at night. I tried using a blue led in the overhead speaker bar, which kinda worked, giving it a soft moon glow to light up the coffee holders, however, the led i was using was not a focused type, more of a spread beam and lit up myself (fine for Holloween) and whoever was in the passenger seat. I did not get any reflection in the windshield at night, which is why I chose a blue led in the first place. I did have another solution to that problem by just installing a micro switch with a blue led in it and using that as a light source which could be turned off and on. will take pics of that also.

As with any mod or install, take your time, know a few good curse words, lock yourself up in the garage, and forget the rest of the world exists for the moment. If it starts to piss you off, then call up the guy who wrote the wiring/ install instructions (probably in China) and piss him off too. Oh, and dont forget to press 1 for english when prompted, so you can speak to someone who cant.
sunruner19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
sunruner19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebler View Post
Sunruner19 that is the exact deck I want to get for my 2011. I could not stand what it took to get ipod integration with the proprietary solution. I would appreciate hearing about how the install went. I would also like to know if you were able to maintain the use of the steering wheel controls. If you have any pics of the install process that would be cool!
I have to order the install kit and whatever else is needed to keep the steering controls working, right now i have no clue. The factory radio i have does have controls on the steering wheel, even though its a base cd radio, nothing fancy about it.
sunruner19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
ER RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: south jersey
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
I have a set of plastic trim removal tools which i am using on the dash. They do not scratch the dash. I purchased these thru a Mac Tool dealer, but I am sure Snapon and Mac have them also. I was not able to find them in any parts store where I am.
Using this tool which resembles a butter knife, i carefully inserted it thru the side of the pw switch panel. The panel has what i am calling 4 plastic clips which are part of the assembly. if one breaks, its non replaceable. these "clips" are located on the top and bottom and should release pretty easy as mine did. However, they do not give you much room to remove the electrical connector as the wire harness to it is kinda short. slightly pulling on it gains access to release the connector. If you have big fingers, forget it, find someone else to help you. Once this sw panel is removed, you will see 2 7mm socket size screws on the bottom. remove them with a 1/4" socket/ratchet. Top of the dash, remove the rubber tray, and there is 1 7mm screw. I pulled gently away and the center part released. This is held in with clips also, but they are of the removable or replacable type.

As far as the install of the AVIC Nav, I am waiting for the install kit and wiring adaptors. I had this radio in a Tacoma truck before, and tried installing it in a HHR which proved to be a nightmare. Crutchfield sent me the kit which included a wiring harness from Metro. Metros wiring diagram was totally wrong, repeated calls to their techs got me different answers each time and i finally gave up and put the original GM radio back in.

Crutchfield says this radio will fit. I did a trial fit with the radio surround plate and found it does fit the opening without any cutting, however the avic is not as wide as the opening, which I assume the kit will take care of. Top and bottom opening is fine, just the sides have to be filled, maybe about a 1/4" on either side.

I will take pics of this, as soon as I can, which wont be for atleast another week or so.

As far as this mod I am doing to the center console, where the cup holders are, I will find out today how to get that darn shifter knob off. I want to light up the cup holders so I can see where i am spilling everything at night. I tried using a blue led in the overhead speaker bar, which kinda worked, giving it a soft moon glow to light up the coffee holders, however, the led i was using was not a focused type, more of a spread beam and lit up myself (fine for Holloween) and whoever was in the passenger seat. I did not get any reflection in the windshield at night, which is why I chose a blue led in the first place. I did have another solution to that problem by just installing a micro switch with a blue led in it and using that as a light source which could be turned off and on. will take pics of that also.

As with any mod or install, take your time, know a few good curse words, lock yourself up in the garage, and forget the rest of the world exists for the moment. If it starts to piss you off, then call up the guy who wrote the wiring/ install instructions (probably in China) and piss him off too. Oh, and dont forget to press 1 for english when prompted, so you can speak to someone who cant.
Thank you, your post has been a huge help to me. Any update on how it finished up?
ER RN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
LZMF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Morris Plains, NJ
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlporter View Post
What did it take to get the pw cover out? Any tools needed? I can't get mine out. I don't want to break anything trying either. Any pics of it out showing how it is held in would be really helpful.
on the back of the power window switch you'll see a little red or orange colored tab. you have to slide the tab and the wire harness connector will pop right out.

as far as the cover goes i literally just yanked it out.
LZMF1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Thanks again for this post..very helpful and did the trick on installing a mygig on my 2011 Rubicon. Seems a little weird to yank on the whole dash after removing those 4 screws but it will come out.

denverticket is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing aftermarket Radio in TJ write up TheTJRod Communications and Electronics 147 07-14-2014 10:46 AM
Mario's Double DIN radio install emev0l Communications and Electronics 60 01-31-2012 11:35 PM
2011 Radio Removal Help caveatesq JK General Discussion Forum 1 09-23-2010 08:42 AM
Dash Removal to access Radio UNLIMITLESS TJ Tech Forum 8 02-03-2008 01:31 PM
2007 JK Wrangler Radio Removal Ulath Communications and Electronics 1 01-12-2007 09:13 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC