Rallylight/Hella headlight upgrade install - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Rallylight/Hella headlight upgrade install

This upgrade has been done by many JK owners, I'm posting this because there has been a lot of interest in upgrading the JK headlights on this forum.....

The main reason for this thread, is to show other JK owners the simplicity of this upgrade, I hope it helps.

Here are the components of the kit, two Hella lenses, wiring harness, and bulbs (Phillips extreme +80's) I can't take credit for knowing what to buy, this was recommended by Hilldweller(thanks Bill)



This is the relay end of the harness, hot/ground and the wiring to each side comes from here, need to mount near the battery



Remove the grill, and the beauty rings from the passenger headlight, next pic shows the red slide on the plug, slide it up(I used a small flat tip to help)



Next pic is loosely laying out the wiring harness...



After removing the stock headlight, plug the harness into the headlight plug..



Then bring the new plug out the hole..



Put the new bulbs in and the rubber seal, and re-install new lights, you will notice a difference in quality...



I ran my harness along the firewall, and then you do the same to the drivers side..



After that, zip tie it down and you're good to go...



This was delivered on Christmas Eve. took about an hour, if you do it in the cold, I'd recommend warming up the harness first.

I can tell you that this is the best money that I've spent for any JK upgrade....amazing...and there's even better.

__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
BigMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
Images: 4
Cool upgrade, could you supply a parts list along with where you can find the harness. If it is a big improvement over stock headlights I'm interested!

__________________
BigMoe
BigMoe is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoe View Post
Cool upgrade, could you supply a parts list along with where you can find the harness. If it is a big improvement over stock headlights I'm interested!
This is a huge improvement, wish I would have done it sooner.

I bought this from rallylights.com, and on their website they have an icon to click, on the main page for the JK upgrade. They also have a phone # at the top of the page, I called in my order..received it in one week.

Parts are all in the kit, $214.00 and the only other thing that I did was upgrade the bulbs to the Phillips extreme +80's. They will give you credit for the bulbs that come in the kit too...

BTW, I don't need my aux. lights now....
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jimmyzwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 131
Bar none...the absolute best upgrade I did to my Jeep also!
__________________
Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
BigMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
Images: 4
I'm also looking at the IBF kit, decisions, decisions!!
__________________
BigMoe
BigMoe is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,156
Great pics, Joel; thanks for taking the time to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoe View Post
I'm also looking at the IBF kit, decisions, decisions!!
To add some facts to your decision process, the standard IPF kit comes with blue bulbs that don't work well, a pigtail harness adapter that accentuates the voltage drop, and H4 reflector housings that have never been tested to be in compliance with DOT or ECE regulations.
An ungraded harness is available at additional expense as well as real bulbs but the reflector is still only legal to use offroad.
It really should be stated in their literature. They go as far as to put their own little "E" symbol on the housings that looks similar to an ECE stamp; that smacks of a boldface lie to me.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
monkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 343
great write-up, thank you for taking the time to do this, how does this kit compare to the Daniel Stern Kit? Is installation the same?
monkers is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
mgola27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 549
Nice write-up.

I don't have the desire to do mine out in the cold, but the light upgrade is on the docket for the spring.

I'll probably bed line the grill while I'm at it.

Thanks.

Happy New Year.
mgola27 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
great write-up, thank you for taking the time to do this, how does this kit compare to the Daniel Stern Kit? Is installation the same?
Installation is identical.
The difference is in the available reflector housings. Daniel Stern sells the best you can get; Rallylights sells the best you can get on a lighter pricepoint.

Take a look at this page. This is the photometry results from a set of Marchals, Cibie Z-beams, regular Cibies, and the Hellas that Rallylights offers. All 4 are ECE compliant, certified and perfectly legal. But you can see the differences in performance.
This is just a taste of the wide swing in overall performance available. And should give a clue as to why it's ill-advised to jigger HID capsules into halogen housings.

That Rallylights kit is the best bang for the buck for JK lighting upgrades.
If you've got a few more bucks, there's Daniel Stern at your service.

I hear the lamest excuses about spending money on headlights. Cost is usually the reason.
But the same person will spend $300 on A-pillar lights that they use twice a year... ...I use my headlights almost every day and count on them to keep me alive.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Installation is identical.
The difference is in the available reflector housings. Daniel Stern sells the best you can get; Rallylights sells the best you can get on a lighter pricepoint.
HD, I'm really looking forward to the comparison of your Hella's to your incoming Z-beams with the same Philips +80 bulbs.

At the price you paid, are you going to Lamin-X them? I'd be nervous for sure.

Also, I seem to remember reading some chatter about Rallylights putting some caps in their harness to blunt voltage spikes and increase bulb life. Is that true? Does Stern do the same?
J_Westy is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
At the price you paid, are you going to Lamin-X them? I'd be nervous for sure.

Also, I seem to remember reading some chatter about Rallylights putting some caps in their harness to blunt voltage spikes and increase bulb life. Is that true? Does Stern do the same?
I might put a film over them; I just hate to mess with glorious focus though...

Waterboarder had problems with his bulbs popping at extreme cold and Stern rigged him something to regulate the voltage. He lives in Alaska though.
There's nothing exotic on my Rallylights harness.
Maybe I'll install a meter and watch ---- I don't really think it fluctuates high enough to be a bother to regular voltage bulbs. Not if the charging system is healthy anyhow.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Installation is identical.
The difference is in the available reflector housings. Daniel Stern sells the best you can get; Rallylights sells the best you can get on a lighter pricepoint.

Take a look at this page. This is the photometry results from a set of Marchals, Cibie Z-beams, regular Cibies, and the Hellas that Rallylights offers. All 4 are ECE compliant, certified and perfectly legal. But you can see the differences in performance.
So the Cibies shown on the DS web site are the regular ones? What is the difference? (other than double the price).
I'm a total convert now, so if they are worth it, I want them...

I have hit many deer, that was always my concern with spending $$ on high quality lighting. However, now that I've "seen the light", I want more....lol, and I think it's worth the price of admission.
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I might put a film over them; I just hate to mess with glorious focus though...

Waterboarder had problems with his bulbs popping at extreme cold and Stern rigged him something to regulate the voltage. He lives in Alaska though.
There's nothing exotic on my Rallylights harness.
Maybe I'll install a meter and watch ---- I don't really think it fluctuates high enough to be a bother to regular voltage bulbs. Not if the charging system is healthy anyhow.
My harness has caps wired in but I thought they were to prevent the canbus from tripping an idiot light.

Mine work just fine and I live in one of the coldest parts of Alaska. I am running the philips bulbs though.

Funny enough my LEDs flicker for a sec when I first turn them on at colder than -30f.

All my lights pass the -40 test so far.
ColdSRT is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
So the Cibies shown on the DS web site are the regular ones? What is the difference? (other than double the price).
It does ruin the night when you tag Bambi.

This shows the difference in light output.

Z-Beam


regular cibie


The regular 7" are no slackers at all; the Z-Beams are just so perfect in execution and clever in design. Price difference is $36 per.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
You mentioned that the Z-beams are limited in supply, correct?

For an extra $72 bucks, they look worth it. Can they be had? Thanks...
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
You mentioned that the Z-beams are limited in supply, correct?

For an extra $72 bucks, they look worth it. Can they be had? Thanks...
You just have to sync with DS when he makes a trip over the line into the US; he keeps them in a different warehouse.

I still haven't gotten mine. I need to meter the Hellas first anyhow and won't get the meter until next week at the earliest.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tha sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 100
I have decided this is my next project. Can anyone tell me exactly which Hella lenses these are? I went to Rally.com and the jk upgrade link is no longer there...

Thanks for the write up, pretty sure I can do this one myself!
tha sista is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha sista View Post
I have decided this is my next project. Can anyone tell me exactly which Hella lenses these are? I went to Rally.com and the jk upgrade link is no longer there...

Thanks for the write up, pretty sure I can do this one myself!
Try this link...Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories

What you want is on this homepage, E-code JK headlight upgrade. Third row down, all the way to the right, pic of a JK, click it....
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tha sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Try this link...Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories

What you want is on this homepage, E-code JK headlight upgrade. Third row down, all the way to the right, pic of a JK, click it....

Ok so I am blind! Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow to expedite. Any idea if it will fit 2011?
tha sista is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha sista View Post
Ok so I am blind! Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow to expedite. Any idea if it will fit 2011?
Yes -- it will fit a 2011.

Here's mine: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...tml#post837138
J_Westy is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tha sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
Yes -- it will fit a 2011.

Here's mine: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...tml#post837138
Thanks...yours looks fantastic!
tha sista is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha sista View Post
Ok so I am blind! Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow to expedite. Any idea if it will fit 2011?

A good upgrade on ordering this kit is the Phillips Extreme power +80's(bulb)

They will give you credit for the bulb that comes in the kit if you upgrade..

Remember to pick up some zip ties....if you have any problems, post 'em up, there's a lot of JK'ers on here that have done this and will help out..good luck and let us know how it turns out...
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 212
Thanks for the write-up. This is my next project. Awesome color on your Jeep! Can you upgrade the bulbs on the website or do you need to phone order for that?
sheetsd66 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tha sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj

A good upgrade on ordering this kit is the Phillips Extreme power +80's(bulb)

They will give you credit for the bulb that comes in the kit if you upgrade..

Remember to pick up some zip ties....if you have any problems, post 'em up, there's a lot of JK'ers on here that have done this and will help out..good luck and let us know how it turns out...
Thanks a bunch! My kit is ordered with the bulb upgrade. Super nice guy at rallylights.com! I can't wait to tackle this! I will yell if I get stuck
tha sista is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetsd66 View Post
Thanks for the write-up. This is my next project. Awesome color on your Jeep! Can you upgrade the bulbs on the website or do you need to phone order for that?
I don't know, I called...real easy to do on the phone..
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #26
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tha sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 100
working on this now....I have three grey bundles...one for each headlight coming from the relay and a third...(with a funny end) What does that plug to? My relay has no easy way to mount it to anything. The screw holes are not easily accessible, any suggestions for mounting?

edit: got the relay mounted with many zip ties...

Ok, I've figured it out, almost done!
tha sista is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha sista View Post
working on this now....I have three grey bundles...one for each headlight coming from the relay and a third...(with a funny end) What does that plug to? My relay has no easy way to mount it to anything. The screw holes are not easily accessible, any suggestions for mounting?

edit: got the relay mounted with many zip ties...
The third wire is the "trigger" wire. It goes up to the passenger side headlamp and plugs into the old headlight connector on the vehicle harness.
J_Westy is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #28
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tha sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy

The third wire is the "trigger" wire. It goes up to the passenger side headlamp and plugs into the old headlight connector on the vehicle harness.
That wasn't obvious from the writeup but when I started thinking it thru it's the only thing that made sense! Anyways I'm done

I cut people open for a living this was way fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3859968424.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	43603   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1118813446.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	43604  

tha sista is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Nice....do you have a t-15 to adjust them?(torx)

The Hella's have a nice cut off, so you may want to tip them some...

Please don't cut me up...
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tha sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Nice....do you have a t-15 to adjust them?(torx)

The Hella's have a nice cut off, so you may want to tip them some...

Please don't cut me up...
Yeah, I never knew what they were called, I have a whole set...I just called them the star shaped wrenchs...funny! I gave my dad my credit card one day and told him to go get me all the tools I'd need for my garage and he set me up! Such a good dad!

tha sista is offline   Quick Reply
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap Headlight upgrade Vroooom TJ General Discussion Forum 8 11-21-2010 11:51 AM
Vision-X VX-7RD headlight upgrade? Ted_D TJ Tech Forum 1 09-15-2010 04:18 PM
93 Wrangler Headlight Switch Install Instructions 93jeep YJ Tech Forum 2 04-27-2010 06:51 PM
93 Wrangler Headlight Switch Install Instructions 93jeep JK General Discussion Forum 1 04-19-2010 05:36 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC