Rear Bumper Mega Thread - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
ULAlum93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 45
Rear Bumper Mega Thread

I have seen the mega front bumper thread and it was a real help it buying one, but have searched for a thread of just rear bumpers, can we get one going with specs?

ULAlum93 is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 114
Bump - i'm researching rear bumpers too. I think i'm leaning LoD but would like to have more opinions.

silvel2edge is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
keschete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 522
Well, if you fellas have any good ideas, I want one that will total a vehicle that rear ends me again.....
__________________
2013 JK Rubicon
2006 SRT 10, 2002 Z06
keschete is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Yella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Peters, Missouri
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
Well, if you fellas have any good ideas, I want one that will total a vehicle that rear ends me again.....
I'm not gonna say this one won't suffer some damage itself but I expect the front end of a rear ender is gonna be hurtin for certain.

My Rugged Ridge Rear that matched my Rugged Ridge Front.
These bumpers sometimes make me think of a stealth fighter jet.

Rugged Ridge Xtreme Heavy Duty Rear Bumper System in Textured Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec






__________________
____________________

2008 JK Sport
2014 JKU Sahara
Yella is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
HAFICON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: F'ing Republic of Mass. Not by choice.
Posts: 1,482
I love that RR rear system. It is on my wish list..
__________________
2012 JKU Sport Deep Cherry Red

"Door ding my Jeep, and I will fist ding your face BIATCH"
HAFICON is offline   Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ICTJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 56
Im kicking around the ace rear bumper and tire carrier. the only thing I have heard bad about it, is that it's heavy. Heavy compared to hat though. thats what I would like to find out.
__________________
2007 Sahara Unlimited
http://www.facebook.com/WichitaJeepOwners
ICTJKU is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Yella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Peters, Missouri
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTJKU View Post
Im kicking around the ace rear bumper and tire carrier. the only thing I have heard bad about it, is that it's heavy. Heavy compared to hat though. thats what I would like to find out.
Heavy compared to the original plastic bumper. I don' know what the RR bumper and tire carrier weight but I suspect at the very least a hundred pounds more than the original. I do know what the original weighs; 17 pounds according to my bow scale.

I also know that the original tire/wheel on my jeep was 54 pounds and the aftermarket tire/wheel is 96 pounds. To me a heavy duty bumper and tire carrier was a requirment.
__________________
____________________

2008 JK Sport
2014 JKU Sahara
Yella is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Unlimited.Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rockwell, NC
Posts: 366
My current rear bumper...still in decision mode!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4067602643.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	132390  
Unlimited.Kev is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,719
Looks like my front ^

__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is online now   Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev View Post
My current rear bumper...still in decision mode!
Thats how mine looks like, but thats cause I am waiting for my ACE bumper/carrier to come in and got tired of waiting so I took the bumper, hitch and carrier off.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is online now   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Unlimited.Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rockwell, NC
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector

Thats how mine looks like, but thats cause I am waiting for my ACE bumper/carrier to come in and got tired of waiting so I took the bumper, hitch and carrier off.
Mine is still this way. Probably stay until I can afford a JCR rear dagger.
Unlimited.Kev is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
chim-chim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 694
The only ones I like are from Expedition One. It's one of the few that use a actual tapered needle bearing system. It's tire carrier is the beefiest and has provisions for everything. Fuel, hi-lift, shovel, it's endless.


chim-chim7 is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 106
I have been looking at new rear bumpers and I would like an idea what rear visibility is with some of the rear bumpers with tire carriers that I have seen (anyone willing to share pictures out the rear window)? I really like the looks of the olympic smuggler bumper, but I'm not sure if I like how high the tire carrier puts the tire.

Anyone interested in rear protection in traffic might look at superbumper.com, looks pretty cool
Frogy is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
chim-chim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogy View Post
I have been looking at new rear bumpers and I would like an idea what rear visibility is with some of the rear bumpers with tire carriers that I have seen (anyone willing to share pictures out the rear window)? I really like the looks of the olympic smuggler bumper, but I'm not sure if I like how high the tire carrier puts the tire.

Anyone interested in rear protection in traffic might look at superbumper.com, looks pretty cool

When you run big tires, 35's and larger visibility sucks no matter what carrier you have. If you want visibilty put the tire inside or on the roof. Put a rear view camera poking through the wheel.
chim-chim7 is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,794
I really wanted the JcrOffroad, Inc. JK Wrangler Rear Dagger Tire Carrier Bumper - Deluxe but it was almost double the price of the Ace & isn't even finished so I went with ACE JK Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

Their website says it's 190 lbs, bumper & tire carrier. I can't imagine it will suck.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,981


Subscribed

I want a rear bumper now. I'd like to get it by the time we go camping in mid-November. But I don't see that happening since so many manufactureres have weeks and weeks of wait time.

I'm now leaning back towards the ACE setup. I did a tramp stamp project that the ACE unit would negate, but I like how it retains the tow rating with the integrated receiver.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
RemoJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,429
Images: 18
My $150 Boa back bumper (olympic). Not bad but the finish on it sucks

__________________

2008 Rubi

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/wf-...ml#post8251537
Rausch Creek ride^^
RemoJK is online now   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
topher38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colorado springs CO
Posts: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella

I'm not gonna say this one won't suffer some damage itself but I expect the front end of a rear ender is gonna be hurtin for certain.

My Rugged Ridge Rear that matched my Rugged Ridge Front.
These bumpers sometimes make me think of a stealth fighter jet.

Rugged Ridge Xtreme Heavy Duty Rear Bumper System in Textured Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec





I have the bumper you have. I love it. Although I wish it didn't drop down as far as it does (clearance) and I wish the textured paint was easier to clean
topher38 is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
Their website says it's 190 lbs, bumper & tire carrier. I can't imagine it will suck.
190 lbs! That's a 10-year-old American kid in steel-toed boots!
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
190 lbs! That's a 10-year-old American kid in steel-toed boots!
I thought it was 135 but I just went and checked - it says 190.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
I thought it was 135 but I just went and checked - it says 190.
Beef.

But really, only a little more than a front bumper/winch combo.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Beef.

But really, only a little more than a front bumper/winch combo.
Glad I went with the 3.5 instead of the 2.5 lift.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post


Subscribed

I want a rear bumper now. I'd like to get it by the time we go camping in mid-November. But I don't see that happening since so many manufactureres have weeks and weeks of wait time.

I'm now leaning back towards the ACE setup. I did a tramp stamp project that the ACE unit would negate, but I like how it retains the tow rating with the integrated receiver.
Tomorrow marks week 12 of a 6-8 week wait time I was quoted for the ACE rear bumper/carrier. I know it will be worth the extra wait, heard they were having steel supplier issues and changed suppliers. The wait SUCKS!!
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is online now   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector View Post
Tomorrow marks week 12 of a 6-8 week wait time I was quoted for the ACE rear bumper/carrier. I know it will be worth the extra wait, heard they were having steel supplier issues and changed suppliers. The wait SUCKS!!
I don't really mind the wait because I know it's going to be a wait, it's the fact that you have to pay up front, in full, that bothers me. They shouldn't charge you until it ships, it's not like they couldn't sell it if I cancelled.
Sueby is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
I don't really mind the wait because I know it's going to be a wait, it's the fact that you have to pay up front, in full, that bothers me. They shouldn't charge you until it ships, it's not like they couldn't sell it if I cancelled.
I can relate to that. I knew there would be a wait, but was expecting it to be 6-8 weeks, now I'm 12 weeks in, already paid the money and still waiting. Even so, it won't stop me from recommending ACE and getting the rest of their products later. Just getting anxious, so much that I had a bad dream lastnight. Dreamt that my bumper/carrier showed up unannounced on the front porch, but it was mispainted, was black and red in random places and was all scratched up with spots of bird s#!t all over it. It was traumatizing to say the least!
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is online now   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
ImWhisper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 104
Images: 7
Tomorrow marks week 7 in my wait - if you are on 12 now.... Oy!! All these Jeepers that are going to get their Ace bumpers around the same time and start posting their pics will be fun to see.

I also really liked the JCR but have to keep in mind mortgage, college & high school payments and darn those kids like to eat too.... Ace fit in the budget nicely.
__________________
ImWhisper
aka Holly

2010 Surf Blue JKU ~ not completely stock!
ImWhisper is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Medic005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 138
Images: 2
Once I get the funds, I'm probably going to order the JCR Rear Bumper, I like the rear lights and it works with the factory tow receiver:
JcrOffroad, Inc. JK Wrangler Rear Bumper - Standard

I was going to go with the Rampage Recovery Rear bumper to match my front bumper, but the Rampage rear bumper doesn't accomodate the factory tow receiver and thier bolt on receiver option isn't tow rated.
__________________
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - Red Rock Crystal Pearl
Kenwood DNX6180-HD Radio w/Rear Camera
Hardtop and Bestop Trektop NX
Stock Rims with BF Goodrich Mud Terrains
Rigid Duallys on SmittyBuilt Windshield Brackets
Rampage Recovery Front Bumper w/ Rampage Driving Lights
Medic005 is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector View Post
Just getting anxious, so much that I had a bad dream lastnight. Dreamt that my bumper/carrier showed up unannounced on the front porch, but it was mispainted, was black and red in random places and was all scratched up with spots of bird s#!t all over it. It was traumatizing to say the least!
Psychological manifestations of bumper stress?

Two words: Seek help.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,981
I've decided to go in a different direction on the rear bumper and carrier thing.

I'm going with the Teraflex HD Carrier and Tire Mount combo. I'll keep my bumper stock for now and I'll add the $90 QT hitch package.

In the future I'll probably go with a streamlined Poison Spyder or JCR bumper.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Psychological manifestations of bumper stress?

Two words: Seek help.

__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Vendor Spotlight (Deals & More)
Jeep Parts - Jeep Wheels - Jeep Soft Tops
» Recent Threads

» Popular Tags
2.5 2014 advice bestop body lift build bumper clutch dana 35 dana 44 electrical engine exhaust fender fenders for sale hard top hardtop help advice install jeep jeep tj jeep wrangler jeep yj jku leak led lift lift advice lift kit lights moab newbie noise oem outdoorx4 overland parts quadratec radio rancho regear rims rubicon sahara shocks soft top speakers sport springs steering stereo stock suspension suspension lift swap tire tire advice tires tires and wheels transfer case transmission unlimited upgrade wheels wheels and tires winch wiring wrangler wrangler tj
Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC