Rear Camera Install Questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Rear Camera Install Questions

I've just installed the MyGig Lock Pick v.4 and all appears to be working fine, including the rear camera I purchased.

The only problem I see is that the license plate is off and to the right, not centered. Has anyone actually mounted a camera above the default license plate location and been pleased with the results?

If not, can you tell me what you did instead?

Hergens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
fishmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 334
Interested to know this too. I have seen some install them on the rear bumper bellow the tire. Others have done the rear license plate relocation thing onto the rear spare tire.

I would be interested to see some pics of the backup camera on screen from anyone who has a camera installed over the stock rear license plate.

fishmd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Epi
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
I have mine in the default location. I have the bar cam sold my lock pick. It's a fisheye lens so you get a large viewing area. I've tested with having someone walk from side to side behind the Jeep and I can clearly see them on the screen when they are "in range" of getting hit by the Jeep. You do need to keep in mind though that you are on the left side of the Jeep for things such as parallel parking. As an added bonus though, you can run the wire entirely out of sight in this spot since you can fish the wire with the license plate light. I drilled through the license plate and the bracket to make sure there is no exposed wire.
Epi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
I've seen them mounted in the stock tire carrier with he camera located between the spokes of the stock wheels. I've also seen them mounted into the stock carrier and the center cap left off the wheel. Seems like there was a thread on JK-F with different locations, but I could be wrong.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi View Post
I have mine in the default location. I have the bar cam sold my lock pick. It's a fisheye lens so you get a large viewing area. I've tested with having someone walk from side to side behind the Jeep and I can clearly see them on the screen when they are "in range" of getting hit by the Jeep. You do need to keep in mind though that you are on the left side of the Jeep for things such as parallel parking. As an added bonus though, you can run the wire entirely out of sight in this spot since you can fish the wire with the license plate light. I drilled through the license plate and the bracket to make sure there is no exposed wire.
Epi - where did you bring the cables down from the front area? I'll admit, I am a total amateur at this. The fact that I was able to get the 2012 console apart and got this thing working is a testament to how truly plug and play the lock pick is.

I'm now facing where to run the yellow A/V cable and the crimped power adapter lines to facilitate the connection. I would imagine the ideal route would be down the driver side of that console area and under the carpet towards the back. It looks like I might have to remove some other parts, though, to get that done.

I
Hergens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 137
On my sons 2010 JKU he mounted it in the Hitch adapting a Hitch Cover and mounted it in the center. He rarely uses the Hitch if he needs it he could simply unclip move it out of the way and then move it back. Only problem is it does mount lower then the optimal position, but he says he has gotten used to it.
I plan on mounting one in the same spot once I figure out which one to buy.
Lew
Barrier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Epi
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
Hergens-

First remove the entire license plate bracket to see the hole I speak of. If you go inside the jeep in the back, you can pull away the carpet away on the left (drivers) side where the hardtop meets the carpet (you'll see it easily tucks back in). There is a bundle of wires (including the wire for the license light) dropping down the back of the jeep. I poked a small hole in the rubber gasket and "pushed" the A/V wire through. I was able to (from the exterior with a coat hanger) pull the wire to the exterior of the jeep. I ran the other end of the wire with the bundle of wires under the carpet towards the front of the car to the center stack. I'm assuming you still have the instrument/upper center stack cover removed. If you pull on the HVAC panel, it'll pop out and leave space to pull the wire through to a point behind the radio. I did apply a tiny bit of silicone to the rubber gasket where i poked the whole to make it sealed again. i also put silicone on the license plate bracket where I made the hole there to ensure rain doesn't get into the wall of the jeep.
Epi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
dvdsjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NePa
Posts: 579
I used ORO license plate and third brake light relocator to the spare and mounted it directly underneath my plate with a small adapter from pep boys.
dvdsjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
I used ORO license plate and third brake light relocator to the spare and mounted it directly underneath my plate with a small adapter from pep boys.
dvdsjk-

I saw your earlier post on this. What adapter did you buy from Pep Boys - what was it for?
Hergens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi View Post
Hergens-

First remove the entire license plate bracket to see the hole I speak of. If you go inside the jeep in the back, you can pull away the carpet away on the left (drivers) side where the hardtop meets the carpet (you'll see it easily tucks back in). There is a bundle of wires (including the wire for the license light) dropping down the back of the jeep. I poked a small hole in the rubber gasket and "pushed" the A/V wire through. I was able to (from the exterior with a coat hanger) pull the wire to the exterior of the jeep. I ran the other end of the wire with the bundle of wires under the carpet towards the front of the car to the center stack. I'm assuming you still have the instrument/upper center stack cover removed. If you pull on the HVAC panel, it'll pop out and leave space to pull the wire through to a point behind the radio. I did apply a tiny bit of silicone to the rubber gasket where i poked the whole to make it sealed again. i also put silicone on the license plate bracket where I made the hole there to ensure rain doesn't get into the wall of the jeep.
Excellent instructions. I'll see how easy the HVAC panel gives. Another member ran it through the jack storage area and bolted it to the plastic portion of the bumper. I like the location on this but I am hesitant to put holes in the bumper.
Hergens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
fishmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 334
Epi-
If you get a chance to, would you mind taking and posting a picture of how the camera view looks from inside the car on your navi screen? That would be great.
fishmd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
dvdsjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NePa
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hergens View Post
dvdsjk-

I saw your earlier post on this. What adapter did you buy from Pep Boys - what was it for?
Basically an extension for a plate I believe. I was just looking for ideas when I found and made this work. Roughly 4 bucks and you can reverse it and get a little more length on it!
dvdsjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
I am waiting on the license plate relocator and delete plug to fill the hole where the plate is. They should both be here by the weekend. I will post photos, diagrams, and a narrative of what I bought, how I installed it, and how it looks.

As a complete amateur, I've flawlessly installed the lock pick and got it working, the camera wire is completely hidden and is currently half-ass mounted to the bottom of my license plate as the light above the plate makes install at the top (as contemplated) impossible. I say half-ass, not because it looks bad, but because the temporary location at the bottom of the plate puts the camera too far left and the bumper takes up the bottom 15% of the view.

Next up will be an autodim rearview mirror with home link for the garage and electric gate (includes compass and temp) [Auto Dimming Comp/Temp w/HomeLink - MITO Harness Part# 50-GENK50A] http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink-aut...g-mirrors.html
Hergens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Newb
 
Hugh Jass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
As an alternative, here is how I did it with a $7.00 modified Craftsman 41A5266-1 Safety Sensor Bracket for a garage door opener and a Sony XA R800C backup cam. I am super pleased with how it turned out and the cameras picture quality is really nice.

Just wanted to post this to provide more mounting options for folks looking at rear camera placement for their JKU's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BUC.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	92736  
Hugh Jass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
As an alternative, here is how I did it with a $7.00 modified Craftsman 41A5266-1 Safety Sensor Bracket for a garage door opener and a Sony XA R800C backup cam. I am super pleased with how it turned out and the cameras picture quality is really nice.

Just wanted to post this to provide more mounting options for folks looking at rear camera placement for their JKU's.
Wow - That looks nice. Where did you bring the cable in and how did you attach that? I've got a bar camera with damn good night vision so I am going to go with the plate relocation plan.
Hergens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Newb
 
Hugh Jass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
I brought the cable through the grommet that is there for the Rear Center brake light and cable tied the brake light wire and the camera wire together. I attached the bracket with two screws to the rear tire carrier. Best of luck with your install. It will be well worth it.
Hugh Jass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
fishmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hergens
I am waiting on the license plate relocator and delete plug to fill the hole where the plate is. They should both be here by the weekend. I will post photos, diagrams, and a narrative of what I bought, how I installed it, and how it looks.

As a complete amateur, I've flawlessly installed the lock pick and got it working, the camera wire is completely hidden and is currently half-ass mounted to the bottom of my license plate as the light above the plate makes install at the top (as contemplated) impossible. I say half-ass, not because it looks bad, but because the temporary location at the bottom of the plate puts the camera too far left and the bumper takes up the bottom 15% of the view.

Next up will be an autodim rearview mirror with home link for the garage and electric gate (includes compass and temp) [Auto Dimming Comp/Temp w/HomeLink - MITO Harness Part# 50-GENK50A] http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink-aut...g-mirrors.html
That would be awesome if you could do this. I am still trying to decide how I want to go about it all once I get my Jeep in.
fishmd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
As an alternative, here is how I did it with a $7.00 modified Craftsman 41A5266-1 Safety Sensor Bracket for a garage door opener and a Sony XA R800C backup cam. I am super pleased with how it turned out and the cameras picture quality is really nice.

Just wanted to post this to provide more mounting options for folks looking at rear camera placement for their JKU's.
ok, this ones awesome, only concerns would be, what if you needed to change the tire? wouldnt that kinda be a pain, also, does night vision make the picture clear enough to see everything without having a light?
because i had mine installed by the license plate and if i did it again would do it in the tire, its odd to have to adjust for the camera being so far over and doesnt help as much as i wouldve liked
JeepWranglerFlameRed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Newb
 
Hugh Jass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13
The camera/mount does not interfere with the tire at all. It is completely independent and is attached to the tire carrier rather than the tire/rim itself. So if you would need to use/remove the spare tire the camera/mount would not have to be removed or adjusted at all.

This camera has what is called “Automatic Sensitivity Compensation” which means the rear-view camera automatically adjusts to the available light, from 1.0 lux to 100,000 lux. The 1.0 lux rating ensures you'll have visibility at night in low light. In short, the reverse backup lights are more than enough light to see behind you. I would say conservatively I can see at least 15 to 20 feet behind the vehicle. I have been very pleased with this camera the only thing I wish it had is the distance marking feature (1, 3, and 6 foot increments) that the lockpick cameras have.
Hugh Jass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 44
relle? dam i shouldve done that- yeah thatd be nice to have

JeepWranglerFlameRed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Krawler Front LCA Install Questions Cv2065 JK General Discussion Forum 48 12-19-2011 02:38 PM
couple questions about heater and rear main shayno YJ Tech Forum 2 10-19-2011 01:07 PM
Rear camera monitor mount BigMoe JK General Discussion Forum 1 12-23-2010 06:00 PM
I'm a Newb with a few questions. Snarlfax JK General Discussion Forum 14 12-16-2010 11:07 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC