Well, I used measurements from another forum on my initial attempt. Big mistake, huge. In my giddiness to build this cover I didn't realize there was no subwoofer in the rear and the plastic surrounds weren't there.
I took my scraps from that debacle and had rough measurements from the first attempt and made a template for the driver side. Flipped it and realized the passenger would be a little different so I made another template. Armed with those measurements from the template I went to work on the new piece of 3/8 melamine my friend gave me.
Made the cuts laid it in and let the cursing begin. It is very subtle but when I looked at my hanging hardtop I realized the rear area tapers in. Made rough marks from the 59 1/4 width and tapered it slightly. That did the trick. Underneath I added about 6 inches of a furring strip held in with a 1 1/4 screw. Tight enough to stay in place but a turn lose so I can swing them out to the side. They got wedged in between the carpet and the bottomside of the tub.
Carpeted it and then installed for the summer. Took all day of fooling around but worth it.
2014 Anvil Sahara - Black Top, Black Cloth, 430 Nav, Auto
2012 Deep Cherry Red Sahara - Body Color Top, Saddle Leather, 430 Nav, Auto
Where did you find the carpet for it and how did you attach it? Staple gun or adhesive or something else? Also, is the furring strip locking it down from beneath? I've seen other DIY covers that were just bolted to the frame, but yours doesn't look that way.
__________________ "It's not just a car, it's a Jeep!" - my 6-yr old son
Where did you find the carpet for it and how did you attach it? Staple gun or adhesive or something else?
I found the carpet at Lowes. Checked auto stores and no one had auto carpet. It is indoor/outdoor all purpose carpet. It came in a 6 x8 roll. It is grey and matches the carpet pretty well. I couldn't find spray adhesive easilyin Lowe's so I gave up. I just made sure it was pulled tight and used a nail gun. It is held down fine.
Originally Posted by Scarlet Begonia
Also, is the furring strip locking it down from beneath? I've seen other DIY covers that were just bolted to the frame, but yours doesn't look that way.
I have researched this on this forum and another. Some people extended the cover over the top of tub and bolted through the hardtop holes. I did not like that look.
The people that kept it in the tub fabricated metal brackets or braces which posed a safety risk b/c of sharp edges. I was going to let it wedge in there and hope it stayed up that way.
However, when I was test fitting I was trying to find a way to keep one side up and in place when i went around to the other. I had the furring strip in my garage and uses a small piece. It worked so well i figured let me screw 2 pieces on and see how it holds up.
The furring strip is basically locking it down and also keeping it from dropping down in the rear. The other edge is wedged under the rear door. To remove, just twist the furring strips in and maneuver the piece out. I can try and get better pics if you want.