Rear Main Seal Leaking - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
nmdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grants, NM
Posts: 224
Rear Main Seal Leaking

My rear main seal is starting to leak alot worse and I need to get it fixed/fix it.

I looked around online and it sounds like it is a 7 hr job and Jeep quoted me for $920

Does that sound right? He mentioned the transmission has to come out. The Jeep has 144,000 miles so my concern is being nickle and dimed on the high mileage.
With 35's and the 3.73's it has already it is incredibly sluggish. Instead of putting the $ in regearing, what options do I have to upgrade to higher horsepower and does it make sense?

nmdriver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,403
Yes the transmission has to come out. The rear main seal is at the back of the crankshaft and it can leak oil out the back of the engine and possibly into the transmission. Unfortunately that spuds accurate. I'd go to a non dealer mechanic and get a quote from them too.

Achieving more horsepower is a costly endeavor. You can get a tuner and run 93 octane but that's not much more powerful. You can supercharge for 5k but that's expensive. The "cheap" way to optimize useful power is regearing

jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
nmdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grants, NM
Posts: 224
Thanks. It seems like a hemi swap is about 7k as well. I would love to slap a diesel in there but that is probably even more cash.

Well given the fact that the trans has to come out that may be about right. I think their shop rate is over 100/hr so I can probably find better I just wanted to spot check that.
nmdriver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdriver
Thanks. It seems like a hemi swap is about 7k as well. I would love to slap a diesel in there but that is probably even more cash.
That's just for the engine. Then you've got to get a new transmission, a hemi "kit" with all the bits and pieces, and then days and days worth of labor. Unless you get used parts or free labor, a hemi swap is going to clock in around $20k.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
nmdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grants, NM
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
That's just for the engine. Then you've got to get a new transmission, a hemi "kit" with all the bits and pieces, and then days and days worth of labor. Unless you get used parts or free labor, a hemi swap is going to clock in around $20k.
That is wild.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
nmdriver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdriver View Post
With 35's and the 3.73's it has already it is incredibly sluggish. Instead of putting the $ in regearing, what options do I have to upgrade to higher horsepower and does it make sense?
It's not just about power, but it's about where in the engine's rpm range power & torque are created. JK engines are not low-end torque engines. The smart money is to regear if you want to run 35's and have good performance. You'll spend far less money regearing than building high torque & power, and building the engine up will decrease long-term durability.
Scoutnad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdriver
With 35's and the 3.73's it has already it is incredibly sluggish. Instead of putting the $ in regearing, what options do I have to upgrade to higher horsepower and does it make sense?
None.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdriver
My rear main seal is starting to leak alot worse and I need to get it fixed/fix it.

I looked around online and it sounds like it is a 7 hr job and Jeep quoted me for $920

Does that sound right? He mentioned the transmission has to come out. The Jeep has 144,000 miles so my concern is being nickle and dimed on the high mileage.
With 35's and the 3.73's it has already it is incredibly sluggish. Instead of putting the $ in regearing, what options do I have to upgrade to higher horsepower and does it make sense?
Whoa. Hold on a second. Who said your rear main is leaking?! My dealer said mine was leaking long ago on a grand Cherokee limited v8. It was a TINY leak and never even dripped onto the ground. Tell us more about this leak. It could be minor and not need the repair. Dealerships are going to tell you everything wrong with the jeep, some does NOT need repair. They are fishing for idiots sometimes, sometimes they are right. More info please: is it dripping a lot, how much. I'm not familiar with this engine but thought I'd share my .02
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
nmdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grants, NM
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider View Post
Whoa. Hold on a second. Who said your rear main is leaking?! My dealer said mine was leaking long ago on a grand Cherokee limited v8. It was a TINY leak and never even dripped onto the ground. Tell us more about this leak. It could be minor and not need the repair. Dealerships are going to tell you everything wrong with the jeep, some does NOT need repair. They are fishing for idiots sometimes, sometimes they are right. More info please: is it dripping a lot, how much. I'm not familiar with this engine but thought I'd share my .02
Yes, rear main. The dealership has not seen it, I called them to get a quote. It leaves a pile of oil and is significant enough to bug me. It does not drip out but after being parked it leaves a puddle; makes me sad. The engine is the 3.8L.
nmdriver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdriver

Yes, rear main. The dealership has not seen it, I called them to get a quote. It leaves a pile of oil and is significant enough to bug me. It does not drip out but after being parked it leaves a puddle; makes me sad. The engine is the 3.8L.
Dang. Ok. A guy can hope.
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Senojelyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 387
Completely different model but my YJ had the same issue, maybe it's a Jeep thing cause I had a friend whose CJ had it too. I can't remember how much I paid but a local 4wd shop did it for me, I'm pretty sure it was around 500 though.. 900 seems pretty high.
Senojelyk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,749
My 2006 LJ had this issue that was covered under warranty even though I was HEAVILY modded

__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC