I have been a proud owner of a 2010 JKU Sahara for the last week. I really love the Jeep but it bothered me that when you fold the rear seats down there is a huge gap that things (dog paws) can fall down. I searched the forums a bit before I made my covers and the only thing I saw that people did was stick a rubber mat or blankets down which doesn't really fix the problem unless you always want to keep that stuff in the Jeep. I had a Land Rover LR3 prior to my jeep and I loved folding down my seats and having a completely solid floor for my dogs to walk around on. I hope the following pictures will help someone else out in the future. Please note that while I know these are far from perfect and I am in no way, shape, or form a custom fabricator, I think they turned out pretty damn good for me not having any plans to go by.
1. I used a piece of 3 ply Oak cabinet bottom as the covers. It only cost $8 at Home Depot and easily stiff/strong enough to suit this purpose. To get the general curve I cut a small arch template out of cardboard then transferred it to the wood and cut it out. Through trial and error I ended up with a nice curve that clears the wheel well and provides enough coverage to my dogs won't fall through any gaps.
2. Once I had it fitting how I wanted I used that side as a template for the other side. Below are both pieces on the ground ready for carpet.
3. I had some extra carpet/felt laying around in my garage that was leftover from a previous project I did. If you were to buy the covering it would probably cost about $10 a yard or even half that at a fabric store. I used spray glue to keep the carpet on, which I also had on hand. I believe it costs about $10 for a large new can, which you can get at the fabric store with your fabric.
4. In this picture I have the covers screwed in and all set. You can tell I need to adjust the spacing to clear up the gap, but it came out pretty good in my opinion. The hinges I used were $3 each, but you could probably go a little smaller and cheaper.
5. With only one seat folded down it's an absolute perfect fit and sturdy as can be.
6. As you can tell there is a few inch space between the cover and the rear of the seat, but I don't think I've actually lost any usable space there.
7. In order to keep the cover tight against the back of the seat I used small springs that cost me $.85 each, and some picture hanging wire (I had it laying around). I used the Latch holder ( think it's LATCH...for the child seats to tie in to) at the very base of the seat and I zip tied the spring to the latch. I then tied a knot in the wire and used a staple gun to set the wire into the back of the cover. I put the seat and cover as close together as possible, then pull the wire as tight as you can so the spring is stretched out and pulls the cover to the seat on it's own. Tie off the wire so it stays put and you're done.
8. When you fold the seat up and down the cover stays taught against the seat.
I'm a new member and probably won't be able to contribute much, but I hope this will be beneficial to anyone that was looking for this type of fix to fill up their gap. In total I believe I spent about $20 because I had the felt and glue, but you can easily get away for $30 if you shop right. Money well spent in my opinion and these two girls are my reason for doing this.