Reliability? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5
Reliability?

I am seriously looking at buying my first Jeep. (JKUR X) What is the reliability like on the new Jeeps? I grew up driving Tacomas and you could treat those like crap and still would get 200-300 thousand miles out of it before any real problems would crop up. Can I expect the same service out of a Wrangler?

Bamauofa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 237
I doubt it. I don't think you would get that kind of trouble free motoring from a new Toyota either. I have had a few older Toyotas and they were indeed bullet proof.

__________________
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (White)
grizzstang is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 234
Agreed.......Toyotas are more reliable, but I will be buying a new Wrangler this fall.
Stosh1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,921
Chrysler is an unreliable brand, plain and simple. Look elsewhere if that's your main concern. Don't expect 200-300k out of ANY new vehicle without major component replacement.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Hartman3216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
chrysler is an unreliable brand, plain and simple. Look elsewhere if that's your main concern. Don't expect 200-300k out of any new vehicle without major component replacement.

x2
Hartman3216 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
sinbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fresno Ca
Posts: 728
that's why I bought a TJ with the 4.0 motor in it they are tough and u can get 400K plus out of them
__________________
It's not about getting out of the Storm, but learning to dance in the rain.
When I die I am going to be buried with my Jeep, cause I haven't yet found a hole it can't get out of!!!!!
06 TJ Rubi 4.0 and alot of other crap
sinbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
nology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cedar Lake
Posts: 53
The 4.0 will outlast everything else on a Jeep. Just keep up on your maintenance and take care of problems as soon as they pop up.
nology is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
steve66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: sanford, florida
Posts: 381
Plan on a lot of repairs if you buy one, that way if you actually get a good one, you have won.
__________________
-----------------
2012 Wrangler Sport (crush) sold!
2010 Carolla S
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650
1965 Oldsmobile 442
steve66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
505jeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Don't buy a Jeep for reliability, gas mileage, or a plush, comfortable ride. Buy it cause you want it.
505jeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
TOK
Jeeper
 
TOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,179
I still have my 99 Tacoma, the first brand new vehicle I ever bought. The only thing I've done to it in 14 years besides routine maintenance is replace a bad starter. I've only had my Jeep since March, and I love it, but I don't think it has a chance in hell of equaling the Tacoma's reliability.

I do think you need to keep in mind when you're on here you mostly hear the bad. I see a LOT of TJ and JK daily driver Jeeps on the road.
TOK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,444
One thing I can say is parts are cheap! (In comparison. I came from an Audi)
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5
Yea my last Tacoma was a 2000 and never had a problem, heck my 01 Sentra is still going strong at 300k despite me trying to destroy it so I can get something new. I really love the look of the Jeep but still want something that I can know will start every time for the next 10-15 years.
Bamauofa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Iron Clad Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW PA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamauofa View Post
Yea my last Tacoma was a 2000 and never had a problem, heck my 01 Sentra is still going strong at 300k despite me trying to destroy it so I can get something new. I really love the look of the Jeep but still want something that I can know will start every time for the next 10-15 years.
buy a Honda then...Toyotas quality and reliability has gone to crap...trust me
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKU Sahara
/l ,[____],
[--ICL--OllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Iron Clad Lou is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5
don't know about a Honda, I had a lot of problems out of my wife's Odyssey.
Bamauofa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
onething

WF Supporting Member
 
dgsholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505jeeper View Post
Don't buy a Jeep for reliability, gas mileage, or a plush, comfortable ride. Buy it cause you want it.
Agreed - Buy it cause it will take you where you want to go! I get folks asking me ALL the time - what's your gas mileage.

I tell them "I have no idea. I didn't buy it for mileage, I bought it for fun. I fill it up when it gets empty" - but I say it nicely and with a grin right after the FUN part...

.
__________________
“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
dgsholar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Blkfenderslookbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamauofa View Post
Yea my last Tacoma was a 2000 and never had a problem, heck my 01 Sentra is still going strong at 300k despite me trying to destroy it so I can get something new. I really love the look of the Jeep but still want something that I can know will start every time for the next 10-15 years.
If you're the kind of person who keeps a vehicle for 10-15 years, then I'd say you'll be fine. Look around, I see 15+ year old Jeeps all the time!

I'd argue that people who keep their vehicles for that long, take better care of them, so they last longer. Also, people who don't keep their vehicles that long will trade it in when "the starter goes out" or anything else relatively minor... and call the car junk. All car manufacturers have some issues, some more than others, but they all have them. My Jeep has run perfect for a year and 20K miles. I really see no reason why it won't continue to do so, for a long time. My theory is that if something is defective, it generally crops up early. That's why I don't buy extended warranties... but that's me.

If it's good out of the gate... it's good for the long haul.
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, 6 sp. manual, 3.73, Dual Tops, Ace / Rubi Rails, AEV 2.5" lift, Argent Pintlers, 35" BFG AT's, AEV Front/Rear Bumpers, Warn Zeon
Blkfenderslookbetter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,921
When my wife and I bought JK's this year we knew we would face some issues since its Chrysler, especially in the long run.

It was a case of live a little now or regret not living at all later.

We chose to live a little.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Duckquackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,362
That is funny a comparison of Toyota and jeep i have owned both like most of the folks on this thread and I will tell you after buying my 8th Jeep I wouldn't have it any other way. I have my Jeep for driving when I want but mostly for play and my Sequioa for trips and days when I want to ride a smooth ride. Apples are apples oranges are oranges if you want fun great resell and are willing to give up a little on the preceived quality then a Jeep hands down.
__________________
Truth, Honesty, and Courage means tell the truth do what's right and achieve what needs to be done. Rock to rock puddle to puddle.
Tread Lightly Member
Duckquackers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
BigSkyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 254
I own a 2010 Tundra that I bought new, had my first issue last month at 45K miles. Leaking front axle seal; covered under warranty. Otherwise, nothing but routine maintenance. Chrysler is typically last or near the bottom on every customer satisfaction index known to man. Despite this I bought a new Rubi in July and haven't had an issue yet and hope not to. To be honest, what concerns me most is Chrysler's notoriously bad after purchase service. Things like not providing a loaner vehicle for warranty repairs, in this day in age is unacceptable. My local Toyota dealer, who I DID NOT purchase the truck from btw, provided me a loaner free of charge, they even told me not to refill the tank! That's service, something Chrysler could learn from.
BigSkyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyJeep View Post
I own a 2010 Tundra that I bought new, had my first issue last month at 45K miles. Leaking front axle seal; covered under warranty. Otherwise, nothing but routine maintenance. Chrysler is typically last or near the bottom on every customer satisfaction index known to man. Despite this I bought a new Rubi in July and haven't had an issue yet and hope not to. To be honest, what concerns me most is Chrysler's notoriously bad after purchase service. Things like not providing a loaner vehicle for warranty repairs, in this day in age is unacceptable. My local Toyota dealer, who I DID NOT purchase the truck from btw, provided me a loaner free of charge, they even told me not to refill the tank! That's service, something Chrysler could learn from.
It really depends on the owner/manager of the dealer. These are franchises. When I had my trans out, the dealer I did not purchase my jeep from paid for my durango loaner for over two weeks out of their pocket. i think it was $700+
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamauofa View Post
Can I expect the same service out of a Wrangler?
Our 2013 Sahara is our first Jeep. We plan on keeping it 10 or more years, so I hope it stays reliable.

If you're not confident of how long it will stay trouble-free spend an extra $1,900 on a lifetime bumper-to-bumper Chrysler warranty and let the service department take care of any major repairs.
RoadiJeff is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
BigSkyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
It really depends on the owner/manager of the dealer. These are franchises. When I had my trans out, the dealer I did not purchase my jeep from paid for my durango loaner for over two weeks out of their pocket. i think it was $700+
That's good to hear. I understand it really depends on the dealer, but you read so many complaints about poor service experience from Jeep it makes you wonder. My Jeep dealer has a good reputation and I hope not to have to test it any time soon
BigSkyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 29
I got an 07 pre-owned JKU and I have put in about $3000 in maint in the last 25K miles! Cracked exhaust manifold, leaking lower intake gasket, leaking water pump, weeping transmission line, worn ball joints and just a month ago, rear diff rebuild due to chipped spider gear teeth. So, I learned never to by a used Chrysler/Fiat product. But, if you go new, you should be worry free for a few years

Cheers!
utlax18 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona currently
Posts: 210
The thing to remember about these customer surveys is that they're set up for typical vehicles used by typical users. Take a 5 minute drive and tell me what you think of the driving capabilities of the typical user are....

You have to look at the surveys and see how they're worded and what they ask, and how results are calculated. In the case of Consumer Reports, they lump annoyance issues in with actual mechanical defects.

So, some people will rate a new technology low and say they don't like how it works...but a significant number of stupid people will just say "stereo doesn't work" and that literally gets put in the "issues" tab along with "my engine blew 3 connecting rods through the hood and then killed my dog" and other such things.

Chrysler's low-ish Consumer Reports rating has improved drastically in the last 2 years, primarily due to Chrysler's renewed focus on interior fit and finish. There was never a significant mechanical deficit, the engines and transmissions are pretty much the same as everybody else, because manufacturing is done essentially the same across the board for all major automakers, and a lot of the components come from the same suppliers regardless of brand. I would not worry about mechanical reliability in a new vehicle.

The latest Consumer Reports says that the 2 door Wrangler has an average reliability rating and the 4 door Wrangler has a below-average reliability rating.

Does that make any sense? No, of course not, because the two are mechanically identical apart from a stretched frame. That such things still get published tells me that the way that consumer reports does their reporting is of the "lights on but nobody's home" variety. A simple common sense check would lead anybody to question a result like that.

So how would consumer reports get results like that? Because there's a whole lot of barbie-doll mall-shopper idiots who buy a 4 door Wrangler because it's "cute," and it can carry their family - but they have no idea what they're getting into. They don't know how to work the 4-wheel-drive, they bind the axles, they try to drive it like it's a minivan, they break shit, they do moronic things like install the tops wrong and then complain of massive failure of the top, etc.

The 2 door wrangler is still primarily a "toy" and they're more likely to be bought by somebody who actually knows what a Jeep is. And the 2 door has an average reliability rating, despite the fact that yes, the tops do tend to leak a small amount, and there are some other small niggles that pop up, almost all related to the fact that 50% of the exterior of the vehicle is designed to be removable.

So, you're going to have a few small things like that simply due to the complex, atypical way the Wrangler is put together. But the Wrangler is an atypical vehicle. The engines, transmissions, axles, gears...they're all fine, right on part with the entire rest of the auto industry.

If you used a Wrangler the same way people use a Camry, it would probably last every bit as long. If you do a lot of off-roading and towing and drive it in really bad winter conditions.....things are going to wear out somewhat faster, you're putting extra stressors on the vehicle. That's just reality.

Personally I think that's actually in the Wrangler's favor. Take a Camry, drive it over rocks and through snow drifts and tow a 2000lb trailer with it and try to ford a stream, then tell me which vehicle is more reliable.



/end novel
MHShale is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wayne d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHShale View Post
The thing to remember about these customer surveys is that they're set up for typical vehicles used by typical users. Take a 5 minute drive and tell me what you think of the driving capabilities of the typical user are....

You have to look at the surveys and see how they're worded and what they ask, and how results are calculated. In the case of Consumer Reports, they lump annoyance issues in with actual mechanical defects.

So, some people will rate a new technology low and say they don't like how it works...but a significant number of stupid people will just say "stereo doesn't work" and that literally gets put in the "issues" tab along with "my engine blew 3 connecting rods through the hood and then killed my dog" and other such things.

Chrysler's low-ish Consumer Reports rating has improved drastically in the last 2 years, primarily due to Chrysler's renewed focus on interior fit and finish. There was never a significant mechanical deficit, the engines and transmissions are pretty much the same as everybody else, because manufacturing is done essentially the same across the board for all major automakers, and a lot of the components come from the same suppliers regardless of brand. I would not worry about mechanical reliability in a new vehicle.

The latest Consumer Reports says that the 2 door Wrangler has an average reliability rating and the 4 door Wrangler has a below-average reliability rating.

Does that make any sense? No, of course not, because the two are mechanically identical apart from a stretched frame. That such things still get published tells me that the way that consumer reports does their reporting is of the "lights on but nobody's home" variety. A simple common sense check would lead anybody to question a result like that.

So how would consumer reports get results like that? Because there's a whole lot of barbie-doll mall-shopper idiots who buy a 4 door Wrangler because it's "cute," and it can carry their family - but they have no idea what they're getting into. They don't know how to work the 4-wheel-drive, they bind the axles, they try to drive it like it's a minivan, they break shit, they do moronic things like install the tops wrong and then complain of massive failure of the top, etc.

The 2 door wrangler is still primarily a "toy" and they're more likely to be bought by somebody who actually knows what a Jeep is. And the 2 door has an average reliability rating, despite the fact that yes, the tops do tend to leak a small amount, and there are some other small niggles that pop up, almost all related to the fact that 50% of the exterior of the vehicle is designed to be removable.

So, you're going to have a few small things like that simply due to the complex, atypical way the Wrangler is put together. But the Wrangler is an atypical vehicle. The engines, transmissions, axles, gears...they're all fine, right on part with the entire rest of the auto industry.

If you used a Wrangler the same way people use a Camry, it would probably last every bit as long. If you do a lot of off-roading and towing and drive it in really bad winter conditions.....things are going to wear out somewhat faster, you're putting extra stressors on the vehicle. That's just reality.

Personally I think that's actually in the Wrangler's favor. Take a Camry, drive it over rocks and through snow drifts and tow a 2000lb trailer with it and try to ford a stream, then tell me which vehicle is more reliable.



/end novel

Couldn't have said it better.

wayne d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC