Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
hothondaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel

I am getting a 2.5" max travel lift for a 2013 Jk Unlimited Rubicon.

i order exhaust spacers as well. but my main questions here are is there any special tools i will need, i have Air compressor, impacts..i have a good selection of hand tools i am just looking to see if anything special is needed.


JB

hothondaguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Rb1boxer_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: corpus christi
Posts: 435
You pretty much have everything. I skipped the exhaust spacers on my 12' I have the 3.5" that I installed in my back yard it went good knee pads would be nice my knees were hurting the next day from crawling all under there.

Rb1boxer_3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothondaguy View Post
I am getting a 2.5" max travel lift for a 2013 Jk Unlimited Rubicon.

i order exhaust spacers as well. but my main questions here are is there any special tools i will need, i have Air compressor, impacts..i have a good selection of hand tools i am just looking to see if anything special is needed.

JB
It sounds like you've got the tools covered, but you might consider ordering a set of RK Front Spring Clips ($20) and Front/Rear RK bump stops to match your configuration. If you don't know which size bump stops to get, call RK directly and ask their techs what size you need for your specific setup.
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
hothondaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
Yes i have those on their way with the lift...and wheel spacers because i am keeping stock wheels for now but upgrading to some used 35s at this point... and bilstein shocks
hothondaguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothondaguy View Post
Yes i have those on their way with the lift...and wheel spacers because i am keeping stock wheels for now but upgrading to some used 35s at this point... and bilstein shocks
Excellent! You should be good to go. Post pictures when you're finished!

A couple of tips:

1) Don't fully tighten the suspension pieces until the Jeep is back down on the ground.

2) Don't forget to center your steering wheel afterwards (suggest using a ProCal)

3) Don't forget the Red Loctite in the places where it's needed

4) Don't be afraid to add the Northridge4x4 JK Grade 8 Hardware Upgrade to the mix -- drilling out the RK bushings to 9/16" only takes a few minutes if you do it correctly, and it is certainly worth it.

5) Your front axle may no longer be centered after the lift, so the front trackbar may need additional tweaking to get it right. If you don't know how to measure for this, just ask!

6) You're going to hate the way RK wants you to install the front brake lines they send you... more info here:
Possible serious problem with RK's front brake lines installed on '11-'13 JKs

7) You'll need a really good torque wrench!!

8) Don't forget to get the rear trackbar relocation bracket welded into place ASAP after the lift install -- and definitely before you take it wheeling!

9) Pay close attention to front vs. rear control arms so you don't mix them up. When installed correctly, the words Rock Krawler should face outward and read correctly left-to-right.

10) Take a highlighter and go through the instructions highlighting only the parts that apply to the 2.5" Max Travel kit. (Their instructions include steps for every RK kit, all mashed together in a single list, so they're a f'n mess!)

11) Take lots of pictures and post them here when you're done!

12) Stay safe, have fun!
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
JEEPDON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Over the hill
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
Excellent! You should be good to go. Post pictures when you're finished!

A couple of tips:

1) Don't fully tighten the suspension pieces until the Jeep is back down on the ground.

2) Don't forget to center your steering wheel afterwards (suggest using a ProCal)

3) Don't forget the Red Loctite in the places where it's needed

4) Don't be afraid to add the Northridge4x4 JK Grade 8 Hardware Upgrade to the mix -- drilling out the RK bushings to 9/16" only takes a few minutes if you do it correctly, and it is certainly worth it.

5) Your front axle may no longer be centered after the lift, so the front trackbar may need additional tweaking to get it right. If you don't know how to measure for this, just ask!

6) You're going to hate the way RK wants you to install the front brake lines they send you... more info here:
Possible serious problem with RK's front brake lines installed on '11-'13 JKs

7) You'll need a really good torque wrench!!

8) Don't forget to get the rear trackbar relocation bracket welded into place ASAP after the lift install -- and definitely before you take it wheeling!

9) Pay close attention to front vs. rear control arms so you don't mix them up. When installed correctly, the words Rock Krawler should face outward and read correctly left-to-right.

10). Take a highlighter and go through the instructions highlighting only the parts that apply to the 2.5" Max Travel kit. (Their instructions include steps for every RK kit, so they're a f'n mess!)

11). Take lots of pictures and post them here when you're done!

12) Have fun!
X2 Yup!!!
__________________
Don
Happy Jeeping
Experience= What you get right after you need it the most!!
JEEPDON is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
slowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 55
I just installed the same kit on my 2012 a few weeks ago. The biggest pain was installing the passenger side shock. Had to cut some plastic to access to tighten. I also burned up 2 different 1/2 inch drill bits on the sway bar holes before I finally just reused the stock bolts. It took 2 of us about 7 hours including a break for some pizza.
slowjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
10) Take a highlighter and go through the instructions highlighting only the parts that apply to the 2.5" Max Travel kit. (Their instructions include steps for every RK kit, so they're a f'n mess!)
This is a fact! I also highlighted the 2.5" directions so I wouldn't miss something. And I read the directions about 4 times leading up to tackling the job.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 63
Make sure your arms are proper length by putting a bolt through both ends to line them up when you think they are both at proper length.

Make sure when you route the brake lines properly behind the shock and don't for get about that ABS line as well.....

Here is the latest Rock Krawler directions. http://objects.dreamhost.com/rockkra...STRUCTIONS.pdf
__________________
2013 JK Sport
2011 GC Limited-Hemi-Quadra Lift
AK JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
hothondaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
i just wanted to thank everyone for their input, it is greatly appreciated, hopefully i will be getting my lift later this week or early next week.

i will be printing this up and have it handy for review later.
hothondaguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
hothondaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
well i have finally recieved my lift....


i couldn't wait to install it, it was hot from my wife driving it so i started in the rear. i ran into an issue with the rear trackbar bracket, my dad will probably assist me in the morning, but it also doesn't seem to get to close to the axle housing which concerns me. but also having issues with the Long bolt(former track bar bolt) and the new top bolt they have you drill and install.

anyone have any issues with these?

JB
hothondaguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
It was a pita to get it all to line up. Factory bolt goes in the bottom and supplied bolt goes in top and through the track bar. We had a lot finagling to do but eventually got it.
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJeepster View Post
It was a pita to get it all to line up. Factory bolt goes in the bottom and supplied bolt goes in top and through the track bar. We had a lot finagling to do but eventually got it.
+1

Mine also took some finagling to get everything lined up.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
hothondaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
Getting there...rear is done...front is mostly apart....have to take breaks here and there because it is cold and working from home..... heheh
hothondaguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
I here you. I'm south of Tampa and it got down to 60° for a low when we started my lift. Then it was shorts and t-shirts the rest or the day. Lol
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
hothondaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
Well it was snowing out side this morning...and the cold concrete about killed me, well the Lift is done i will post pics tomorrow, taking it to work to hopefully get it aligned at an offroad shop.

the biggest pain in the but in the whole thing was probably the front shocks.
hothondaguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
That's why I let my son handle those. I cut out the plastic on the passenger side for access to the top of the post. He did the rest with a friend.
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothondaguy View Post
Well it was snowing out side this morning...and the cold concrete about killed me, well the Lift is done i will post pics tomorrow, taking it to work to hopefully get it aligned at an offroad shop.

the biggest pain in the but in the whole thing was probably the front shocks.
Same here with those damn shocks. What a giant PITA they were for me too. Well, the passenger side anyways.

You don't really need to pay a shop for an alignment unless you're curious about the numbers specifically. If you followed RKs specs and dialed in the lengths of your CA properly you shouldn't need an alignment. All they'll do is adjust your steering wheel.

If your lift came with a new tie rod you would have dialed that in too. You can do the alignment in your garage and save the money. I wish I had known that before paying $80 to the dealership.

I didn't know it was so easy.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
This is true. I brought mine in for the allignment and was barely off. The measurements of the RK track bar are pretty dead on.
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,966
In my case the lift came with a new front TB, tie rod, and adjustable LCAs. So I dialed in my toe and caster when setting their respective lengths.

And I was the dummy that didn't even ask for a printout of my readings. Doh!

Adjusting the steering wheel takes a 14mm (?) wrench and 10 minutes of your time.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
My front axle was off by about 1/2" using RK's numbers, so I took it to get aligned just in case. Like Kramer, though, my dumb ass forgot to ask for a print out after...
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
hothondaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
this is my wifes DD and want it to be secure and safe,

i also asked the offroad shop that is doing the alignment if they could also doubled check the Jam nuts for me. i got them as tight as i could on the ground with a wrench.

but yeah had to trim plastic from passenger side and also modified a allen wrench to make it short enough to hold into the shock.
hothondaguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
Rubber hose around the shock post with a pair of locking pliers and a wrench. Easy peezy
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Burndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dana Point, California, United States
Posts: 39
Same kit now installed on the same vehicle (2013 JKUR).

Happy with the results, no issues to date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130310_0079.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	221243  
Burndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burndog View Post
Same kit now installed on the same vehicle (2013 JKUR).

Happy with the results, no issues to date.
She looks so nice!
JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Burndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dana Point, California, United States
Posts: 39
IF anyone else has put this 2.5 Max Travel kit on their JKUR please post back and let me know if you had to remove your transmission skid bar.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jku...ts-226857.html
Burndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
JOCJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 719
I just installed the RK 2.5 flex and definitely did not mess with the transmission skid. Cant imagine you would have to with the max travel just to put rear lower CA's on.
__________________
2007 Black JKU Rubicon| 4.10 | RK 2.5 Flex 285/75R16 Duratracs on MB Chaos 5's 3.8L V6 hole in the block mod
JOCJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burndog View Post
IF anyone else has put this 2.5 Max Travel kit on their JKUR please post back and let me know if you had to remove your transmission skid bar.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jku...ts-226857.html
I didn't have to remove any skid bars -- but mine is a manual transmission, so I'm not sure if it's any different on auto trans?
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
I didn't have to remove any skid bars -- but mine is a manual transmission, so I'm not sure if it's any different on auto trans?
Nope, not any different on my auto.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #30
Newb
 
tugboatcaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southwest FL
Posts: 3
I am also interested in doing this lift on my 13 JKU Rubicon. I will be running 33's 90% of the time and throwing 35's on when I go offroad. Question to those of you who have this lift on your 4 doors, are the 285 70 13 Falken Wildpeak tires on MT Classic rims going to look too small with this lift? Some lifts claim 2.5 inches but you can end up with more. I also have a Posion Spyder front and rear bumpers, Ace Rock Sliders and. Rock Hard Skids weighting it down. That's my biggest concern right now.

tugboatcaptain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC