Rubicon vs. Sport - real cost difference - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chiraq
Posts: 41
From someone who just traded in their 2 door rubi for a 4 door sport, I might be a bit biased but I would base your decision on what you are actually going to be doing with the vehicle. When I first got my rubi, I was all about the ediscos and locking rear diff. Who wouldn't want to go exploring the far reaches and drive places that leaves drivers of other vehicles left kicking rocks?

For me, unfortunately, while I would love to get to use them on a regular basis, my job kept me from going wheeling but one time for the entire time I owned the vehicle. Meanwhile, I had to put up with the daily hassle of the manual in stop and go traffic and the limited room of the 2dr. What I did do with it, go to the beach, lake, and camping with it, could have been accomplished sans rubicon equipment and would have been much easier with the 4 door with the gf, dog, and luggage.

I was able to trade that same rubi for a 4 door sport and put a lift and tires on. My lift has sway bar discos so what I'm missing in axle and rear diff, I make up for in functionality. (for me at least)

I guess what I'm trying to say is to be realistic, either way, it's hard to regret buying a jeep.

__________________
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken." -Col. Sanders

"Bring me men..."
Snazzmeister is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzmeister View Post
From someone who just traded in their 2 door rubi for a 4 door sport, I might be a bit biased but I would base your decision on what you are actually going to be doing with the vehicle. When I first got my rubi, I was all about the ediscos and locking rear diff. Who wouldn't want to go exploring the far reaches and drive places that leaves drivers of other vehicles left kicking rocks?

For me, unfortunately, while I would love to get to use them on a regular basis, my job kept me from going wheeling but one time for the entire time I owned the vehicle. Meanwhile, I had to put up with the daily hassle of the manual in stop and go traffic and the limited room of the 2dr. What I did do with it, go to the beach, lake, and camping with it, could have been accomplished sans rubicon equipment and would have been much easier with the 4 door with the gf, dog, and luggage.

I was able to trade that same rubi for a 4 door sport and put a lift and tires on. My lift has sway bar discos so what I'm missing in axle and rear diff, I make up for in functionality. (for me at least)

I guess what I'm trying to say is to be realistic, either way, it's hard to regret buying a jeep.
Yeah I am definitely going auto this time, more for towing than anything else. Honestly I love stick shifts but you get such a crappy warranty on the clutch. I have another car with a stick so I'll still get to scratch that itch.

I have used the lockers and discos on my two door. They were probably overkill in the situations where I used them, but ya never know. That said, I really don't think there have been too many times somebody has driven down a forest road in a Sport and turned around thinking "damn, I should have gotten the Rubi."

i82much is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
RKracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawthorne,Ca.
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
So did you go through kind of a similar analysis when you bought yours?
Of course. It's all part of the fun of the "Buying Experience" but most do not want to get into that part.
__________________
1984 CJ7 3" lift 33" tires Hard ass ride.....(Gone)
2010 Rubicon Flame Red 2 door 2.5" 35" BFG's....(Gone)
2011 Rubicon Flame Red Unlimited.........(Gone)
2013 Rubicon Deep Cherry Red JKU 3" 35's.....
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door (Gone)
2013 Rubicon Commando 2 door 4" Teraflex 37" BFG.....
RKracing is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chiraq
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Yeah I am definitely going auto this time, more for towing than anything else. Honestly I love stick shifts but you get such a crappy warranty on the clutch. I have another car with a stick so I'll still get to scratch that itch.

I have used the lockers and discos on my two door. They were probably overkill in the situations where I used them, but ya never know. That said, I really don't think there have been too many times somebody has driven down a forest road in a Sport and turned around thinking "damn, I should have gotten the Rubi."
To be fair, the 6 speed is pretty terrible as well. I learned to drive on a stick and have driven everything from dumps to performance tuned cars and never stalled one so much.

If it makes sense for your wallet, I'd go rubi then. Better to have and not need than need and not have after all. Resale is definitely higher as evident in my trade in. Keep in mind, dealers have an extremely hard time getting them so you have an extra chip at the bargaining table.
__________________
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken." -Col. Sanders

"Bring me men..."
Snazzmeister is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
ratchettt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Foothills of Appalachia
Posts: 492
Read your whole thread. Buy the Rubicon. Install a M.O.R.E. dead pedal, RuggedRidge grab handles and floor mats. You will be set for life with no more mods (odds are) and you'll never look back.

My opinion.
__________________
2013 White JKR 4.1 Automatic

There are no winners here, just beguiled participants
ratchettt is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
kappaknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
Read your whole thread. Buy the Rubicon. Install a M.O.R.E. dead pedal, RuggedRidge grab handles and floor mats. You will be set for life with no more mods (odds are) and you'll never look back.

My opinion.
...and replace your headlights.

...and....
__________________
2013 Commando Green JKUR / Jeep Clothing for off-roading...
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
kappaknight is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,016
Yeah this is starting to become awfully clear. I just found out I can get 0.49% @ 48 months, I mean why not if I can swing it.

i82much is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC