Satin or Gloss Black Wheels? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 86
Satin or Gloss Black Wheels?

I haven't even received my Flame Red '12 JKU yet and I am already planning for some initial mods. One of the things I am considering is powder coating the stock 18" Sahara rims black. I was wondering what people think of satin vs. gloss? I am leaning towards the gloss, but see that many of the black wheels have been done in a satin finish.

I would love to see pictures of both satin and gloss stock wheels.

ngiovas is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,477
Don't powder coat the stock wheels. Sell them as fast as you can and get ones that have better backspacing and are smaller.

__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
I like satin but agree that the wheels are just not great for a Jeep. Not to mention 18" tires have very few choices and way too expensive compared to a 17" or smaller and you wouldn't even notice the difference between a 17" and 18" wheel. And a new wheel wouldn't cost much difference then power coating especially after having to break down the tire and re mounting and balancing each.

The stock wheel doesn't have the correct backspacing if you ever change tire size and limits your options. Not to mention it takes away from the stance of the Jeep. Can't wait to get rid of mine. Next tire change and their gone.
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
A-14

WF Supporting Member
 
1Topp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BarkCamp Ga.
Posts: 1,423
Images: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiovas View Post
I haven't even received my Flame Red '12 JKU yet and I am already planning for some initial mods. One of the things I am considering is powder coating the stock 18" Sahara rims black. I was wondering what people think of satin vs. gloss? I am leaning towards the gloss, but see that many of the black wheels have been done in a satin finish.

I would love to see pictures of both satin and gloss stock wheels.


Satin
__________________


A-14 Build
A-14 Profile
A-14 Pics
1Topp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
repauli1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NORTHERN ILL
Posts: 571
Carbon metallic black with three clear coats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2049092547.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	75627  
__________________
08XUL Jeep
ex-Navy HT 1973
repauli1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rics1997 View Post
I like satin but agree that the wheels are just not great for a Jeep. Not to mention 18" tires have very few choices and way too expensive compared to a 17" or smaller and you wouldn't even notice the difference between a 17" and 18" wheel. And a new wheel wouldn't cost much difference then power coating especially after having to break down the tire and re mounting and balancing each.

The stock wheel doesn't have the correct backspacing if you ever change tire size and limits your options. Not to mention it takes away from the stance of the Jeep. Can't wait to get rid of mine. Next tire change and their gone.
I wouldn't mind looking for new wheels, but don't want to spend that much right away. All of the wheels I am looking at seem to be $180-$200+. Then I need to buy new tires to go with them. For 5 wheels and tires I am quickly approaching $1500-$2000.

I have only called one place so far for pricing, but they quoted me $80 per wheel. That includes me dropping off the car (or just the wheels and tires), removing the tires, sandblasting and powder coating and then remounting and balancing. This is a place that only does wheels.

I also considered asking the dealer if he would trade the 18s for 17s when the car comes in. I would think he could then put them on another Jeep that had the 17s and sell them as an upgrade.
ngiovas is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
j0nx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NoVa
Posts: 848
Wow, must be nice. The place near me wants $115 per wheel and they don't even remove the tires or remount and balance. Sheesh. I would go down to 17" as well and just sell your entire wheel/tire package and get a new set from ebay, the for sale forums here or craigslist. Your choices for tires later on will go way up. I just swapped my wheels from the stockers to the charcoal CoD wheels and you can find 17" wheels like mine for a set of 5 for $350 or less usually. I found 2 guys on ebay selling a set of 5 CoD wheels shipped for $625 but I had already told a guy here in the for sale forums that I would buy his wheels for $750 shipped so I did the honorable thing and bought his wheels since I told him I would even though I found much better prices shortly after I told him I'd buy his. The deals are out there if you look hard enough.
__________________
Natural Green 2012 JKU Sport with S Package | Freedom Top | Auto | Side Steps | Max Tow | Connectivity | Remote Start
j0nx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
There are plenty of new 15" and 16" wheels in the $100 range, some closer to $80. 33" tires--especially for 15" wheels--are generally under $200 each, even as low as $150. So a whole new set of tires and wheels can be done for around $1150 to $1500, minus whatever you get on resale from your Sahara wheels and tires (probably $400 or so).

Now, of you don't mind taking a hit in the resale value of the Sahara wheels, I'd say bedlining them is a good cheap option. But $80 per wheel to powder coat is cheap too I suppose. Just keep in mind that tires for those wheels will be expensive, so as soon as you want new tires you'll be right back in the same position considering brand new wheels.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
There are plenty of new 15" and 16" wheels in the $100 range, some closer to $80. 33" tires--especially for 15" wheels--are generally under $200 each, even as low as $150. So a whole new set of tires and wheels can be done for around $1150 to $1500, minus whatever you get on resale from your Sahara wheels and tires (probably $400 or so).

Now, of you don't mind taking a hit in the resale value of the Sahara wheels, I'd say bedlining them is a good cheap option. But $80 per wheel to powder coat is cheap too I suppose. Just keep in mind that tires for those wheels will be expensive, so as soon as you want new tires you'll be right back in the same position considering brand new wheels.
1. You're gonna hate those stock tires. They are wimpy looking and the wheels are too big to make anything look good (especially that size tire.)

2. Everything MTH said above. I got 17x9 KMC Addicts for the JK for $150 each delivered to my door, with lug nuts. Shopping savvy is a big bonus for Jeep owners....

3. My suggestion is to drive it on the stockers for the winter. You'll see that we are right, and will have had enough time to save the extra $1k you'll need to do it right. You'll already have saved $400 on PC costs.
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Xnewyorka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 280
flat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	75635  
__________________
'11 JKUR Sahara Tan

Attention - WF may cause excessive desire for modifications
-Ben
Xnewyorka is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
I chose a satin or flat finish. I didnt feel the gloss matched anything else on the jeeps exterior.

TroutSafari is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
AMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 289
Images: 1
If you get gloss, I would think they are just going to look flat black when they get covered in brake dust anyway unless you are fastidious about keeping the wheels clean.
AMangum is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver island brutish columbia
Posts: 288
Satin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-89907090.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	75887  

Probo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black steel wheels and back spacing scott70x7 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 09-30-2011 01:04 AM
JOU Black Wheels... Help jrmcgill25 JK General Discussion Forum 10 09-08-2011 06:27 PM
black wheels and deepwater blue chopperbobby JK General Discussion Forum 0 09-04-2011 01:10 AM
Black rock wheels bankr JK General Discussion Forum 7 09-03-2011 09:53 AM
Mango Tango w/ black wheels? redhotrs JK General Discussion Forum 26 07-22-2011 03:08 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC