Security - soft top vs hard - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
scuba_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 674
First 15 years in soft top jeeps - broken into more times than I can count. Rear window slashed multiple times, half door window slashed a couple times...even had the entire roof stolen once. Usually had nothing of value in those two jeeps. One didn't even have a radio....but they were broken into all of the time regardless.

Hard top for the last 12 years. Broken into once. Smash and grab driver side window when I left a GPS stuck on the front windshield...back when they were considered valuable.

Either way, tinted rear windows help...so whatever you may leave in the back isn't as visible.

scuba_steve is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
Billybaldin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon city, OR
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleff View Post

Dear Criminals in my "hood":

I park my Jeep there, but it's hidden.

There's a gun in it.

And, did you realize my windows unzip?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Lol.

__________________
When life hands you lemons. Sell enough lemonade to buy a Jeep!

2012 Rubicon, Black
Billybaldin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #33
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BManz View Post
As a firearm owner and one who works with law enforcement, firearm owners are responsible for the disposition and secure storage of firearms. A safe is a good start. If your gun is stolen and used in a crime, you'll have some explaining to do. Even if its not used in a crime, you'll have to explain why your vehicle is considered safe overnight storage. It's one thing to store it temporarily while dining in a gun-free zone, but leaving in a vehicle all the time when parking is not the best modus operandi.
Bull. Criminals are responsible for stealing them.

What if someone steals the jeep and uses the whole thing as a weapon?
michiganadam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post

Bull. Criminals are responsible for stealing them.

What if someone steals the jeep and uses the whole thing as a weapon?
Now that's just getting stupid. What is a Jeep's intended purpose?
Adult Beverage is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
MajRager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 102
Leaving your firearm in a vehicle console is an incredibly irresponsible thing to do and does nothing but provide ammunition to the far left gun control nuts. Where should you leave it you ask? How about at home if you have no way of properly securing it while out and about.
__________________
End Transmission. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
MajRager is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #36
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
laollis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 625
I have a soft top and leave everything unlocked. I don't have any top on right now, and I still leave it unlocked. I also had Viper 5704 installed so if someone gets too close to it, the alarm first warns them and me by remote, if they don't move away, then the light flash and alarm goes loud, which also notifies me by the remote. I like it and it works.
__________________
OlllllllO Another Day in Paradise with my Gecko!

One Life. Live It.
laollis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Lmao.
michiganadam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
laollis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajRager View Post
Leaving your firearm in a vehicle console is an incredibly irresponsible thing to do and does nothing but provide ammunition to the far left gun control nuts. Where should you leave it you ask? How about at home if you have no way of properly securing it while out and about.
Yup! ^^^ What he said.
__________________
OlllllllO Another Day in Paradise with my Gecko!

One Life. Live It.
laollis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
GonzoBobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2five22 View Post
I have personally seen it in repeated incidents.
Go call someone else's bluff because you failed here.
Thank you, officer...for your umbridge, haha.

So you are saying that your response was based on personal experience.

In a specific set of parameters.

Copy that.

No need to get all pissy. I am sure your individual experience is relevant and specifically defining to the greater, world-wide wrangler forums.

Here's what I found:

"The report by the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation says nearly 1.7 million firearms were reported to police as stolen from January 1993 through August 2002. The group, which advocates stronger gun-storage laws, relied on numbers collected by the FBI. The numbers show that nearly 688,000 stolen firearms were recovered during the 10-year period, leaving more than 1 million missing and most likely fueling the black market for criminals."

Curious: Of the 1 Million missing guns, how many do you think were stolen from Jeeps? I defer to your expertise.

BobH
__________________
Never owned a Jeep before - 'til now!
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; Gecko green, half doors;
255/80/17 Pizza Cutters; 2.5" Teraflex BB with JKS Quicker Discos
Rigid Dually spots

GonzoBobH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
st1264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Windsor, ON (near Detroit)
Posts: 1,273
Leaving my handgun in the console would put me in jail, cuz I live in Canada. Mine has to be registered, locked up 24/7 and only in the vehicle during transport to the range and back.

A rifle or shotgun is different, just needs to be unloaded.

Don't think I'd leave any firearm in a soft top jeep. Seems people break in just for shits&giggles as it's so easy to do.
__________________
Save ammo for the Zombie invasion!

13' JKU Sport S, Black
st1264 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1264 View Post
Leaving my handgun in the console would put me in jail, cuz I live in Canada. Mine has to be registered, locked up 24/7 and only in the vehicle during transport to the range and back.

A rifle or shotgun is different, just needs to be unloaded.

Don't think I'd leave any firearm in a soft top jeep. Seems people break in just for shits&giggles as it's so easy to do.
Thats why i dont go to canada. I live somewhere i have the right to self defense, where my human life is valued more than someones ability to take it away from me. All the criminals have guns in their cars. The criminals shouldnt steal them. My jeep is locked. My house is locked. When someone breaks in, it is not my fault

Furthermore go to a gun store and find a vault in the 2000 dollar range. Lock it and turn the handle HARD. these gun safes are a scam and the vast majority of them offer no more inconvenience than a glass window.

Furthermore what if im home and someone breaks in? Shouldnt i be able to defend myself? Oh hang on a minute sir. Let me load my shotgun.

Yeah. Im glad i dont live in canada. Why dont you just stay there and stop telling free men how to live.
michiganadam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post

Bull. Criminals are responsible for stealing them.

What if someone steals the jeep and uses the whole thing as a weapon?
This is not persuasive.

Criminal responsibility for thefts of weapons does not absolve you for making those weapons readily available to the criminals.

Likewise, the notion that a jeep (or just about anything) could conceivably be used as a "weapon" of some kind does not absolve you for making actual weapons readily available to criminals.

The most persuasive thing I've heard as to your specific situation so far is that you have "modified" your center console for added security. If that's true, that could (depending on the modification) conceivably be sufficient to secure the weapons you take with you in your jeep in a responsible way.

However, if the modification still relies on the stock locking mechanism or hinges, I'd say it still fails as a responsible way to transport a firearm when you're not actually in the vehicle.

A personal anecdote to consider . . .

Earlier in this thread, I posted a link to a thread I made when my jeep was broken into.

At the time, a group of teenage thieves had been targeting our parking garage on random occasions. On the day they broke into my jeep, they also broke into eight other vehicles.

My jeep's center console and glove box (which had both been left unlocked and empty of valuables) were left open with their contents scattered. The consoles and glove boxes that had been locked in other vehicles (to secure Garmins, iPods, etc.) had simply been yanked open by hand, with their contents likewise scattered--though any valuable Garmins, iPods, etc. we're of course gone.

To me, that suggests that the console and glovebox are obvious places for any thief to look. And if they're locked, it strikes me as a calling card that something good is inside that they can get with a little elbow grease.

If you've modified your console so as to require significant tools or time to get into, then that's great and would probably satisfy me (for whatever that's worth). But if it's still something you can just yank open with a good set of shoulders, then I seriously ask you to consider other options. Lockboxes are cheap.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #43
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
All the criminals have guns in their cars.
False. Do you really believe this?

The teenagers that were arrested in my case were unarmed. And surely you don't believe every wandering homeless man looking to break into cars and get something pricey to sell for crack is armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
The criminals shouldnt steal them.
False. As noted, the teenagers that were arrested in my case were unarmed and would no doubt have been happy to find and steal a gun.

Further, even if they were armed to the teeth, guns are high value item. Why wouldn't a well-armed thief take it for resale? I'm confident many who have iPods steal others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
My jeep is locked. My house is locked. When someone breaks in, it is not my fault
True, but many states do impose liability if your firearm is stolen and subsequently used in a crime if you did not exercise "reasonable efforts" to secure the gun in the first place. You can have it, but you have responsibility to keep it secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
Furthermore go to a gun store and find a vault in the 2000 dollar range. Lock it and turn the handle HARD. these gun safes are a scam and the vast majority of them offer no more inconvenience than a glass window.
This is simply not true. I defy you to achieve this in any verifiable form and submit proof on this forum.

Tell you what--come out to nc and let's meet up. I'll put $500 in my bestop lockbox. If you can get to it 5 minutes without any tools, you can have it. Then we'll play the same game with your console, and you front the $500 this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
Furthermore what if im home and someone breaks in? Shouldnt i be able to defend myself? Oh hang on a minute sir. Let me load my shotgun.
I have a loaded 9mm in a combination safe. It takes seconds for me to get to, and confounds everyone else who tries. Problem solved.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
st1264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Windsor, ON (near Detroit)
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
Thats why i dont go to canada. I live somewhere i have the right to self defense, where my human life is valued more than someones ability to take it away from me. All the criminals have guns in their cars. The criminals shouldnt steal them. My jeep is locked. My house is locked. When someone breaks in, it is not my fault

Furthermore go to a gun store and find a vault in the 2000 dollar range. Lock it and turn the handle HARD. these gun safes are a scam and the vast majority of them offer no more inconvenience than a glass window.

Furthermore what if im home and someone breaks in? Shouldnt i be able to defend myself? Oh hang on a minute sir. Let me load my shotgun.

Yeah. Im glad i dont live in canada. Why dont you just stay there and stop telling free men how to live.
Could care less what you do, who you do it to or what you think. Just said I can't have a handgun in my vehicle. Take it as you like. If you were insulted, too bad.

There's a reason why we have as many murders in the entire country compared to one of your major cities.

Do whatever you like. If you put your pistol, flamethrower or whatever in your soft top Jeep, no skin off my back. Go back and read what I said rather than being an ****** about it.

Believe me, if anyone breaks into my house, they're dead. I don't have a use for a gun in my vehicle. Don't have the violent crime you guys do. Anyone wants to break in or steal my Jeep, it's insured. Not going to cry over it.
__________________
Save ammo for the Zombie invasion!

13' JKU Sport S, Black
st1264 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #45
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Watch the language and attitude in this thread.

If folks start getting hostile, I'll shut it down.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
Thats why i dont go to canada. I live somewhere i have the right to self defense, where my human life is valued more than someones ability to take it away from me. All the criminals have guns in their cars. The criminals shouldnt steal them. My jeep is locked. My house is locked. When someone breaks in, it is not my fault

Furthermore go to a gun store and find a vault in the 2000 dollar range. Lock it and turn the handle HARD. these gun safes are a scam and the vast majority of them offer no more inconvenience than a glass window.

Furthermore what if im home and someone breaks in? Shouldnt i be able to defend myself? Oh hang on a minute sir. Let me load my shotgun.

Yeah. Im glad i dont live in canada. Why dont you just stay there and stop telling free men how to live.
Over the last ten years, Canada has had an average of about 180 homicides by firearm per year for a population of around 33M. The US averages at about 11,000 for 300M; that's a factor of roughly ten times the amount in Canada.

This isn't really the place for a debate on this topic, but your argument is specious.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
socal-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post

Over the last ten years, Canada has had an average of about 180 homicides by firearm per year for a population of around 33M. The US averages at about 11,000 for 300M; that's a factor of roughly ten times the amount in Canada.

This isn't really the place for a debate on this topic, but your argument is specious.
Then obviously the statistics point to something as its not a gun problem but a problem of society and culture. Get parents to act like parents and take care of their kids, help them do their home work, watch where they are and who they hang out with and see this problem disappear in a generation. Remember we've had guns here forever and this has only been a problem portrayed by the media over the last few years, where on the whole gun ownership has skyrocketed in 20 years yet all forms of violent crime have been reduced. Gun death statistics are misleading as they count an overwhelming number of suicides. There is also no record kept of how many guns PREVENT crime. Look no further then cities lik DC, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, NYC have the strictest gun laws yet the highest gun crime. Again, cultural and sociological issues need to be addressed.
__________________
2012 JK, Rock Krawler 2.5, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex lower arms/track bars, Currie anti-rock, VDP stubby caps, Black Rock 909D's 285/70/17 Duratracss, Magnaflow ypipe and competition exhaust, 10a.e. Rubicon rear bumper, SRC sliders, G2 diff armor, H4 headlights and some other stuff....
2014 VW Jetta/1989 325i sleeper project/1968 house
socal-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
st1264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Windsor, ON (near Detroit)
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal-jk View Post
Then obviously the statistics point to something as its not a gun problem but a problem of society and culture. Get parents to act like parents and take care of their kids, help them do their home work, watch where they are and who they hang out with and see this problem disappear in a generation. Remember we've had guns here forever and this has only been a problem portrayed by the media over the last few years, where on the whole gun ownership has skyrocketed in 20 years yet all forms of violent crime have been reduced. Gun death statistics are misleading as they count an overwhelming number of suicides. There is also no record kept of how many guns PREVENT crime. Look no further then cities lik DC, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, NYC have the strictest gun laws yet the highest gun crime. Again, cultural and sociological issues need to be addressed.
Strongly agree.
__________________
Save ammo for the Zombie invasion!

13' JKU Sport S, Black
st1264 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #49
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
laollis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 625
WOW! If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black. LOL
__________________
OlllllllO Another Day in Paradise with my Gecko!

One Life. Live It.
laollis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal-jk View Post
Then obviously the statistics point to something as its not a gun problem but a problem of society and culture. Get parents to act like parents and take care of their kids, help them do their home work, watch where they are and who they hang out with and see this problem disappear in a generation. Remember we've had guns here forever and this has only been a problem portrayed by the media over the last few years, where on the whole gun ownership has skyrocketed in 20 years yet all forms of violent crime have been reduced. Gun death statistics are misleading as they count an overwhelming number of suicides. There is also no record kept of how many guns PREVENT crime. Look no further then cities lik DC, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, NYC have the strictest gun laws yet the highest gun crime. Again, cultural and sociological issues need to be addressed.
Hey, I'm not making a pro- or anti-gun argument. I'm simply defending Canada from the whole, slightly silly, "we're more free than you" argument that the other chap made.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
st1264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Windsor, ON (near Detroit)
Posts: 1,273
I'm 100% Pro-Gun and I was jumped on because I said I couldn't (and wouldn't) store a handgun in a Jeep with a soft top.

I wouldn't have my laptop or my Mossy 500 in there unattended. I have guns in there all the time, to the range and back. Don't choose to store anything of value in there as someone can unzip a window (or carve it) and have at your belongings.

The question is about security with a soft top... and unless you setup a good alarm system like an above poster did, there's isn't much security with a soft top.
__________________
Save ammo for the Zombie invasion!

13' JKU Sport S, Black
st1264 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
LVRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vegas
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoBobH View Post
Really?

Nice to know the extent of expertise here on the forums.

How many, exactly, firearms left in unattended vehicles end up in the hands of homicidal gang bangers?

For that matter, how many fire arms were stolen from unattended (as opposed to being from attended) vehicles in 2010? Curious. Very curious.
And exactly how many murders was that? Eight? Eighty? Eight thousand? What?

Thanks in advance for your reliable numbers.

BobH

WOW!!!! Really you are going to give someone hell for this? I have a number for you, 1! Not a huge number but it is WAY TO HIGH a number for people to be killed by a firearm stolen from a vehicle. Now I am just guessing at the number of people killed this way and dont have any statistics for ya so my bad. I do agree with the poster that stated the gun control laws are getting way out of hand because for the most part it is hampering the honest Americans and not the criminals that would use said stolen gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
First 15 years in soft top jeeps - broken into more times than I can count. Rear window slashed multiple times, half door window slashed a couple times...even had the entire roof stolen once. Usually had nothing of value in those two jeeps. One didn't even have a radio....but they were broken into all of the time regardless.

Hard top for the last 12 years. Broken into once. Smash and grab driver side window when I left a GPS stuck on the front windshield...back when they were considered valuable.

Either way, tinted rear windows help...so whatever you may leave in the back isn't as visible.
Sounds more to me like someone really didnt like you lol.
__________________
12 JKU Dozer

If you stay prepared you dont have to get prepared.
LVRaptor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
socal-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post

Hey, I'm not making a pro- or anti-gun argument. I'm simply defending Canada from the whole, slightly silly, "we're more free than you" argument that the other chap made.
Nah that wasn't directed at you by any means. It was just a statement against a large misconception people in other countries or people who get misinformation from the media.

Anyway.... time to reel it in. I never worry about getting stuff stolen out of mine. I'm in the bar right now and its outside with the top panels out and windows down. If they want in that bad it won't matter soft top or hard top. I just don't leave anything of value in my car. Just a GPS but a cheap one that would be less then fixing a broken window or console.

__________________
2012 JK, Rock Krawler 2.5, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex lower arms/track bars, Currie anti-rock, VDP stubby caps, Black Rock 909D's 285/70/17 Duratracss, Magnaflow ypipe and competition exhaust, 10a.e. Rubicon rear bumper, SRC sliders, G2 diff armor, H4 headlights and some other stuff....
2014 VW Jetta/1989 325i sleeper project/1968 house
socal-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC