Service department wants $200 to remove.... - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
Chris, you're gettin raped. When I bought my JKU, I had to have the hardtop removed to get the softtop out of the trunk (I got the Dual Top option). The dealer charged me between $20-$25 to remove the hardtop so they could remove the softtop, then reinstall the hardtop. This took them about 1/2 hour.

$200 is preposterous. That's nearly 2-2.5 hours of labor they're charging you for something that should take no more than 30 minutes with three other people.
That's all I wanted. The soft top removed from the trunk. Figured when I called the sales guy I dealt with would say "No problem. We'll have it ready to go when you pick it up tomorrow."

Instead....they try to bend me over.


Thanks again everyone. I've got a lot to learn, but it's clear I've come to the right place.

Cheers

Newbsauce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,002
did this yesterday for a friend. three of us did it in about 10 minutes.

__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Mutt
landi jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
tvrbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
Chris, you're gettin raped. When I bought my JKU, I had to have the hardtop removed to get the softtop out of the trunk (I got the Dual Top option). The dealer charged me between $20-$25 to remove the hardtop so they could remove the softtop, then reinstall the hardtop. This took them about 1/2 hour.
How much did they charge you for the trunk?
tvrbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
That's all I wanted. The soft top removed from the trunk. Figured when I called the sales guy I dealt with would say "No problem. We'll have it ready to go when you pick it up tomorrow."

Instead....they try to bend me over.


Thanks again everyone. I've got a lot to learn, but it's clear I've come to the right place.

Cheers
My feelings about it are this. If you haven't taken delivery, they don't have your money, and you can get it elsewhere, tell them you don't appreciate being taken advantage of, especially after choosing to hand their dealership $30,000 for a vehicle, and they can take that vehicle and shove it where the sun don't shine because you'll be purchasing elsewhere.

Very poor business practice on their part and that surely doesn't say much about them.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
My feelings about it are this. If you haven't taken delivery, they don't have your money, and you can get it elsewhere, tell them you don't appreciate being taken advantage of, especially after choosing to hand their dealership $30,000 for a vehicle, and they can take that vehicle and shove it where the sun don't shine because you'll be purchasing elsewhere.

Very poor business practice on their part and that surely doesn't say much about them.
That's exactly what I'd like to do. Not sure the legality of it all though. I've signed the papers. Think I'm going to call the financial services manager and tell him that I'm taking my business elsewhere. See what happens....
Newbsauce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
tvrbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
That's exactly what I'd like to do. Not sure the legality of it all though. I've signed the papers. Think I'm going to call the financial services manager and tell him that I'm taking my business elsewhere. See what happens....
Take a deep breath.

Apologize for jumping on them and then hanging up last time. Calmly explain that since it is shipped like that, and it is not fit for driving like that without doing damage to the top, it should be removed by the dealership while they are prepping it for you. There should be no charge to you because Jeep decided to ship in in a way that is not suitable for use. I honestly cannot think of any other situation where you'd be required to pay extra so as not to damage the vehicle that you just bought.
tvrbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrbob View Post
Take a deep breath.


Manager is going to "drop everything he's doing and deal with my issue immediately".

Taking deep breaths while awaiting his return call....
Newbsauce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,340
You don't even need to remove the top. Just raise it a foot or so. Unbolt the soft top from the brackets first. Follow the directions already posted to unbolt it and disconnect the wiper connector and hose. Get two folks to raise it, pull the soft top out, then lower the hard top and bolt it back up.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Problem solved. Apparently the sales manager was not supposed to transfer me to the service department in the 1st place.


Thanks to everyone for talking me off the ledge.
Newbsauce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
That's exactly what I'd like to do. Not sure the legality of it all though. I've signed the papers. Think I'm going to call the financial services manager and tell him that I'm taking my business elsewhere. See what happens....
It's perfectly legal. You haven't gotten the vehicle. If it isn't, ask to see the contract and then rip it up. Just make sure the papers haven't been separated prior to doing so. What can he do? Nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrbob View Post
Take a deep breath.

Apologize for jumping on them and then hanging up last time. Calmly explain that since it is shipped like that, and it is not fit for driving like that without doing damage to the top, it should be removed by the dealership while they are prepping it for you. There should be no charge to you because Jeep decided to ship in in a way that is not suitable for use. I honestly cannot think of any other situation where you'd be required to pay extra so as not to damage the vehicle that you just bought.
Why should he "take a deep breath?" He just spent around $30,000 for a vehicle and then they're going to gouge him $200 for something that takes 15 minutes? That's the "customer service" he gets for forking over $30,000? This example is a prime example of what kind of service he can expect to get from them in the future.

You're right when you say there shouldn't be any charge for the dealer to remove the top for him so it doesn't get damaged, but it's the principle of it. It's just plain poor on their part. It's very a very underhanded ploy. This is the kinda shit Chrysler needs to be focused on, not redesigning shitty vehicles like Compasses.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
For the record...I'm not usually so quick to fly off the handle. Woke to 2 inches of water in my basement yesterday morning due to malfunctioning sump pump. Still recovering from that meltdown.
Newbsauce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
tvrbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
It's perfectly legal. You haven't gotten the vehicle. If it isn't, ask to see the contract and then rip it up. Just make sure the papers haven't been separated prior to doing so. What can he do? Nothing.



Why should he "take a deep breath?" He just spent around $30,000 for a vehicle and then they're going to gouge him $200 for something that takes 15 minutes? That's the "customer service" he gets for forking over $30,000? This example is a prime example of what kind of service he can expect to get from them in the future.

You're right when you say there shouldn't be any charge for the dealer to remove the top for him so it doesn't get damaged, but it's the principle of it. It's just plain poor on their part. It's very a very underhanded ploy. This is the kinda shit Chrysler needs to be focused on, not redesigning shitty vehicles like Compasses.
He said that he called and accused them of trying to rip him off because he was a newbie and then hung up on them. That's not the way to go about it. I suspect (as you or someone else suggested) there may have been some kind of miscommunication between him and the service guy he spoke with the first time. Even if not, if you want someone to do something for you, you don't start off accusing them of trying to rip you off. That should be common sense.
tvrbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
For the record...I'm not usually so quick to fly off the handle. Woke to 2 inches of water in my basement yesterday morning due to malfunctioning sump pump. Still recovering from that meltdown.
Yeah, I'm notorious for my chimpouts from time to time. Sometimes patience just run low and I just flip my lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrbob View Post
He said that he called and accused them of trying to rip him off because he was a newbie and then hung up on them. That's not the way to go about it. I suspect (as you or someone else suggested) there may have been some kind of miscommunication between him and the service guy he spoke with the first time. Even if not, if you want someone to do something for you, you don't start off accusing them of trying to rip you off. That should be common sense.
Agreed. Screaming and cursing isn't going to get you very far. Even into the conversation, using profanity is usually a pretty bad idea. At that point, whomever you're speaking with will pretty much just shut down and tune out.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #44
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
wait, so you need to remove the soft top to make room for TOOLS, yet you're considered paying someone hundreds of dollars to remove a few small torx screws for you!? Wow... I don't know what to say besides that... just wow.
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
tvrbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
wait, so you need to remove the soft top to make room for TOOLS, yet you're willing to pay someone hundreds of dollars to remove a few small bolts for you!? Wow... I don't know what to say besides that, but I think you may have chosen the wrong vehicle.
I have to admire a guy who doesn't know what to say yet chooses to say it anyway. And you didn't sound like that much of a moron. Well done, chief.
tvrbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #46
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrbob View Post
I have to admire a guy who doesn't know what to say yet chooses to say it anyway.
LOL, I went back and edited that part while you were posting.

I'm really still stuck on "wow."

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrbob View Post
And you didn't sound like that much of a moron. Well done, chief.
allllllrighty then!!
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Nothing wrong with a chimpout from time to time. I go absolutely apeshit when people f with me or treat me like I'm stupid. No excuse for poor customer service. I'm really proud of myself that I didnt go apeshit after they told me they wouldnt aim the headlamps on my JKU that I bought brand new with 35's and 3.25 lift. They looked me straight in the face and said it was my problem.

Having said that. My dealer told me right from the get that I needed to remove the soft top or it would get damaged from riding around with it in the back. They offered to "help" me for "free". The sales manager told me to be sure and bring a 40 torx head and ratchet with an extension to remove the bolts. Which meant they were just going to help me the lifting removing the top and put it back on. F them I got my friend to help me do it.
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Ruby Tuesday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
wait, so you need to remove the soft top to make room for TOOLS, yet you're considered paying someone hundreds of dollars to remove a few small torx screws for you!? Wow... I don't know what to say besides that... just wow.
Kinda what I was thinking, it's going to get expensive paying the dealer $200 every time you want your top removed
Ruby Tuesday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
Nanook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 186
Guy guys, simmer down it's only $200 Canadian
Nanook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #50
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Guy guys, simmer down it's only $200 Canadian
lol!
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
tvrbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
...the soft top from my new Wrangler Unlimited. I carry tools and the soft top is in the way. Figured I'd get the service guys to do it, rather than have to remove the hardtop myself. This is my 1st Jeep. Just bought it on Saturday, and pick it up tomorrow.

Is $200 a fair price? How difficult is it to remove the soft top myself?

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Do it yourself so you know how to put it back on. You are not going to ask the dealer to switch tops are you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
Absolutely not. Just figured they would remove it as a courtesy. It's freezing here. Was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the hardtop until spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday View Post
Kinda what I was thinking, it's going to get expensive paying the dealer $200 every time you want your top removed
Suggestion: Read and understand the thread before making dumb comments.

He's new. He asked questions. He got answers. The dealer is going to do it, as they should. Now he doesn't have to find three people to help him do it in the middle of Winter in Canada.
tvrbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
KYFootDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Coxs Creek, KY
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook
Guy guys, simmer down it's only $200 Canadian
This isn't abooot the money,it's abooot the dealership trying to screw over a noob
KYFootDoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #53
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 8,972
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
Problem solved. Apparently the sales manager was not supposed to transfer me to the service department in the 1st place.


Thanks to everyone for talking me off the ledge.
Glad the situation was resolved to your satisfaction.

__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Talking

Mine was shipped the same way and I am off to find the 40 torx head and ratchet tool. My little hand drill doesn't have enough juice to get them loose. The top is in the way of the kids 4x10 bass amp. Can't have that!

Thanks for all the info. It's only February but I'll be back to learn how to take the hard top off and put the soft on!

G
ghendren is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
jonw9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 66
I asked my dealer 3 times to take it out, since Iive in an apartment, no garage and it is winter.

They kept telling me it was fine to leave both in and drive it until spring, then bring it back in and they would do it then.
They said they could not take it out there as it would not fit in the JKU to drive home.

So I was outside in 12 degrees unbolting the top and lifting it while she tried to lift out he soft top without damaging any paint.

Good times.
jonw9 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: quebec, canada
Posts: 28
where i work we do this on dealer prep, between 2 guys its done in about 20 minutes...i cant believe how some dealers still rip people off so bad...
minivpr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
bbermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wauconda, IL
Posts: 143
If for some reason that thing is still back there the week of March 11 I could give you a hand with it. I'll be in the GTA to get some business done in Mississauga that week.

My wife and I went through this back in July after ours was delivered. It's easy but definitely a two person job, unless you have a hard top hoist in your garage (which we do now and it is awesome to have).
__________________
2012 JKU Altitude
bbermann is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
DJL2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The center of the universe, NC
Posts: 772
Like everyone mentioned...yet another pack of thieves. Nice to see folks working to keep the sleazy car dealer stereotype alive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
...the soft top from my new Wrangler Unlimited. I carry tools and the soft top is in the way. Figured I'd get the service guys to do it, rather than have to remove the hardtop myself. This is my 1st Jeep. Just bought it on Saturday, and pick it up tomorrow.

Is $200 a fair price? How difficult is it to remove the soft top myself?

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris
DJL2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #59
Jeeper
 
ibwile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 136
I only have the soft top on this new jeep, but with my previous TJ we had both tops and would switch them with the seasons. It isn't hard and sure doesn't take 200 bucks in effort.

I agree with the above posts regarding the user manual stating that only one top should be installed at a time. You could likely raise some hell about the delivery state if they leave it that way.

Good luck. I'd say either 1) call Chrysler or 2)post on the regional/local forum here and I am sure you'll find a ready helper.
__________________
2013 JK Sport, Crush, 2 door, auto, soft-top
Mods: Stock for now except ACE sliders. (Building the wishlist)

2000 TJ Sahara [Destroyed in 2012:Hurricane Sandy RIP]
1993 YJ SE [Sold]
ibwile is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
...the soft top from my new Wrangler Unlimited. I carry tools and the soft top is in the way. Figured I'd get the service guys to do it, rather than have to remove the hardtop myself. This is my 1st Jeep. Just bought it on Saturday, and pick it up tomorrow.

Is $200 a fair price? How difficult is it to remove the soft top myself?

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris
Not sure what the labor rate at that dealer is, but that sounds like at least two person-hours worth of work, maybe more.

To be honest, I would think that the dealership would do it for nothing -- it's called "good customer service". I know that not all dealers are the same, but the dealership that I buy from actually still gives a crap about making the customer happy.

I got the dual-top option on my 2012, and FWIW, it only took me about 15 minutes to remove the soft top and switch to the hardtop this past fall, and I did it by myself. The hardest and most time-consuming part, at least for me, was making sure it was folded neatly before I took it off and stuck it in the storage bag.

Installing the hardtop required only my son on the other side of the top to lift it. I'm planning on installing a hardtop hoist in the spring when I switch back to the soft top because a second strong back isn't always around.

Gort is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC