Should i get a turbo or a supercharger? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Go turbo! I may be biased though, since I have one.

__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RIPPMODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by damndirtydog View Post
RIPP, what's the longevity on a supercharger? Any negative aspects to internal engine parts over time?
Glad you asked.

As long as you keep up with the oil change interval, it should be upwards of 100k miles. We have Supercharged Jeeps running around with over 100k miles with no problems.
Upon disassembly of our orginal 2008 JK with aprox 35k supercharged miles, we found the internals of the 3.8l more than up to the task of forced induction. The rods were "beefy" with oil sqirters when compared to it's mini van brother. Also, the piston skirts were coated with a low ring landing.
I think I need to mention that we designed our system with reliability of your vehicle in mind. We like to think of our system as a "Jeep part". We know the limits of the 3.8L and we made sure that the power levels that our system provides is nowhere near them. Peak potential power does you no good if you throw a rod 15 mile form nowhere.

RIPP

RIPPMODS is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
Glad you asked.

As long as you keep up with the oil change interval, it should be upwards of 100k miles. We have Supercharged Jeeps running around with over 100k miles with no problems.
Upon disassembly of our orginal 2008 JK with aprox 35k supercharged miles, we found the internals of the 3.8l more than up to the task of forced induction. The rods were "beefy" with oil sqirters when compared to it's mini van brother. Also, the piston skirts were coated with a low ring landing.
I think I need to mention that we designed our system with reliability of your vehicle in mind. We like to think of our system as a "Jeep part". We know the limits of the 3.8L and we made sure that the power levels that our system provides is nowhere near them. Peak potential power does you no good if you throw a rod 15 mile form nowhere.

RIPP
Thanks. Seriously thinking of getting one down the road after I get the jeep paid off.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #34
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
all in all...... nobody explained pro`s & con`s for supercharger or turbo.. all I see is someone trying to sell products either way!!!!!!!
lirider75 is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnham21 View Post
Ew s2000 why would you do that to yourself
Don't know if that is a serious remark, but it is one of the best production driver's cars for the money, much less fully built like mine is. Hard to hit a racetrack with a Jeep.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirider75 View Post
all in all...... nobody explained pro`s & con`s for supercharger or turbo.. all I see is someone trying to sell products either way!!!!!!!
Ummm...I think this thread summed it up nicely.

Turbo

Pros:
More power
More torque
Not parasitic
Better MPG
Low end power

Cons:
Costs more
Heat

Superchargers

Pros:
Price
Limping home is easier

Cons;
Linear power, if the vehicle has nothing down low stock, it has nothing down low blown.
lower power
lower torque

Reliability is a myth. People say superchargers are more reliable than turbos when comparing a $5000 supercharger kit to a $5000 turbo kit, which isn't a fair comparison. Both can be made to be EXTREMELY reliable, but the turbo will cost more to engineer properly.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #37
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RIPPMODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Cons;
Linear power, if the vehicle has nothing down low stock, it has nothing down low blown.


Reliability is a myth. People say superchargers are more reliable than turbos when comparing a $5000 supercharger kit to a $5000 turbo kit, which isn't a fair comparison. Both can be made to be EXTREMELY reliable, but the turbo will cost more to engineer properly.
I think you need to re-examine your facts on the cons.

As a past builder and installer of many turbo systems, including our own 600+ whp FWD 1.8L Acura Integra IDRC campaigned race car. We know that unless it extremely well engineered and designed (read Expensive) and professionally installed (expensive again) it has no place in a back yard do it yourself jeepers hands.

Our system is not marketed as the most powerful on the market, it is marked as what your vehicle SHOULD have HAD.

Our use of a Vortech V3 SiQ trim SC, which has a rated capacity for over 600hp, and a Diablosport tuner that does NOT leave you locked into a tune if you choose to further expand power ratings. (do at your own risk)

We aired on the side of reliability over power, price over punch, ease of installation and maintenance (no special tools required and a 6-8 hour install time).

Turbo's are great, they really are, but WE feel they are not the best option for a Jeep. Why we designed our system the way we have.

RIPP

RIPPMODS is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
exhaust , power , supercharger , turbo , turbocharger

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC