Single rear seat in JK? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
TeleMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 81
Images: 3
Single rear seat in JK?

I tried looking for something similar but did not find anything... Is there any way to "split" the rear seat in a JK? I have a 2-door and have been thinking that a single-occupant seat in the rear would be a really handy way to maximize storage space while still providing a place to park another butt.

Does anyone sell a single rear seat?

TeleMark is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jackster3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleMark
I tried looking for something similar but did not find anything... Is there any way to "split" the rear seat in a JK? I have a 2-door and have been thinking that a single-occupant seat in the rear would be a really handy way to maximize storage space while still providing a place to park another butt.

Does anyone sell a single rear seat?
Ive never heard of one most likely because of the anchoring of the seat. It needs all four legs to attach to the loops. So with only half a seat how would you anchor all four corners down to make it safe to sit and drive around in?

__________________
-Jack
2013 JK - Crush Clear Coat-6 Speed Manual-Hardtop-3.73 Ratio
-Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel-Fox 2.0 IFP Racing Shocks-Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ Pre-Runner-Ace Rock Sliders-Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier-Super Winch Tiger Shark 9500 Winch-Spod-Escort 9500ix-Level 8 Trackers-315/75/16 Duratracs
Jackster3 is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
TeleMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 81
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster3 View Post
Ive never heard of one most likely because of the anchoring of the seat. It needs all four legs to attach to the loops. So with only half a seat how would you anchor all four corners down to make it safe to sit and drive around in?
Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Still, I want one!
TeleMark is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Jackster3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleMark

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Still, I want one!
Yea would be cool. But reminds me of a third row in a hummer h2 the two third row seats werent attached. Captains chairs. So you could remove one and keep the other. Cool design but still a hummer
__________________
-Jack
2013 JK - Crush Clear Coat-6 Speed Manual-Hardtop-3.73 Ratio
-Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel-Fox 2.0 IFP Racing Shocks-Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ Pre-Runner-Ace Rock Sliders-Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier-Super Winch Tiger Shark 9500 Winch-Spod-Escort 9500ix-Level 8 Trackers-315/75/16 Duratracs
Jackster3 is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,091
Images: 27
Corbeau makes them- as do some others. Not cheap...no idea how they install but I've seen them in a Jeep.
Corbeau 29501P - CORBEAU FX1 Pro Fixed Back Racing Seat - Quadratec
JeepHerz is online now   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 336
the back seat in my JK baffles me how stupid it is. When flipped forward it bounces back and forth unless you strap it down. How it doesn't have some positive lock is beyond me. And that is doesn't fold in half sucks. It'd be really nice if it split for those situations. I love her none the less. I guess the cool part about it is that it comes out easily. Maybe that's the trade off... It should still lock in position when flipped forward though. There is definitely a kind of hump it gets over which helps it resist falling backwards but by no means keeps it in place. It bounces all over when hitting bumps and wants to flop backwards.

sorry rant over.
Potts is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,091
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potts View Post
the back seat in my JK baffles me how stupid it is. When flipped forward it bounces back and forth unless you strap it down. How it doesn't have some positive lock is beyond me. And that is doesn't fold in half sucks. It'd be really nice if it split for those situations. I love her none the less. I guess the cool part about it is that it comes out easily. Maybe that's the trade off... It should still lock in position when flipped forward though. There is definitely a kind of hump it gets over which helps it resist falling backwards but by no means keeps it in place. It bounces all over when hitting bumps and wants to flop backwards.

sorry rant over.
I've ranted about the same thing many times. It's the same design I had on my 1998 TJ. However some people's seats do stay in place- which I don't get. Have you ever noticed that there is a hook on the back of the center console? If Jeep had turned that hook the other way- the strap at the top of the rear seat would hook right in- and stay in place. Apparently no one at Jeep has ever noticed this. I love my Jeep too- but stuff like this still irks me. It's like there is a "Its just a Jeep" banner hung in the Wrangler engineering section.
JeepHerz is online now   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TeleMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 81
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potts View Post
the back seat in my JK baffles me how stupid it is. When flipped forward it bounces back and forth unless you strap it down. How it doesn't have some positive lock is beyond me. And that is doesn't fold in half sucks. It'd be really nice if it split for those situations. I love her none the less. I guess the cool part about it is that it comes out easily. Maybe that's the trade off... It should still lock in position when flipped forward though. There is definitely a kind of hump it gets over which helps it resist falling backwards but by no means keeps it in place. It bounces all over when hitting bumps and wants to flop backwards.

sorry rant over.
Hell, a 60/40 split bench would be 100% better. Where do I lobby Mr. Jeep?
TeleMark is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
I had one made up at a local fab shop. They made me a bracket that mounted in the rear seat mounts with brackets to mount a seat. I tried the racing seat first and it was just too bulky for the rear seat and sit too high. I ended up using a marine seat that folded down. I have the stock rear seat back in right now. Daughter started having too many friends to take home and need the extra seating.

I had a locking swivel on it so I could turn it around when campimg

__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 17
There is one out there for TJs:
ROCKCRAWLER.com - Twinseats for TJ's

I have not come across a JK version yet. Given the ready availability of 4 door JKs, there probably is not much of a market for a split rear seat for 2 doors. Though, I would happily trade my twin seat for a solo seat and pick up the cargo space.
Amfivena is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Sasquatchewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LaPorte TX
Posts: 715
Images: 17
There's always something for e everyone
Sasquatchewan is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,091
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rics1997 View Post
I had one made up at a local fab shop. They made me a bracket that mounted in the rear seat mounts with brackets to mount a seat. I tried the racing seat first and it was just too bulky for the rear seat and sit too high. I ended up using a marine seat that folded down. I have the stock rear seat back in right now. Daughter started having too many friends to take home and need the extra seating.

I had a locking swivel on it so I could turn it around when campimg
I like it! I like that it faces backward. If you're in the backseat normally you're just looking at the back of someone's head. If you're on a trail in this you'd have the best view....
JeepHerz is online now   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
bobbiejowoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 277
bobbiejowoo is offline   Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
cyclone88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 229
That's awesome. That's the kind of functionality I want - but I'd love for it to be removable similar to the stock bench seat. This is the first time I've seen it done well on a JK though...
__________________
'12 JK | Black Forest Green
cyclone88 is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
TurkTTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 653
I have been thinking about something similar for when I have a kid...

I was thinking if you chop the factory rear seat frame and weld it back up at the single width, then chop the mounts out of the floor and weld them in narrower to fit the modded frame and upholster.
Second option I considered was still chopping the mounts out of the floor on one side and relocating them to accept a single seat (or trying to replicate them and just weld on new ones), then find a small bucket seat, chop the stock seat latches/mounts off and weld them to the frame of the bucket.

Love all the ideas!

__________________
2014 JK Rubicon
ANVIL
2 Doors, 3 pedals, soft top

Build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tu...ml#post7091657
TurkTTR is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC