Slight Clunk Between Shifts 2013 JKU 6 Speed - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
jceo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 58
Slight Clunk Between Shifts 2013 JKU 6 Speed

I have a slight clunk between shifts in the lower gears on my 2013 JKU 6 Speed 3.73 with less than 2k miles. It happens when the clutch engages (when I take my foot off) when starting out in first, going into second, third and fourth. It also seems to occur if I am driving in first or second in a parking lot and momentarily let off the gas. When I start to accelerate again it will "clunk" as any slack in the drivetrain is taken up.

The noise seems to be coming somewhere from the transfer case back. I know there are threads relating to transmission noise but it does not seem to be coming from the trans. The best way I can describe it is a slight clunk. I can avoid it if I really feather the clutch on the way out so that it engages very gradually but normal shifting seems to produce the noise. Does anyone else have this noise? Is it normal?

__________________
2013 JKU Sahara - 6 Speed, 3.73, Max Tow, Dark Saddle, Connectivity, Dual Tops
1985 CJ7 - Sold
jceo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 156
If it's worth anything my '13 6 Speed with 3.73's does not clunk. However I test drove two 6 speeds with 3.21's which had terrible clunks, almost like a ujoint was bad.

I've read on here a few stories where people had driveline issues from the fty. Wait for more people to reply...

OffRoadWarrior is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tehachapi Ca
Posts: 24
My 2012 Unlimited with a 6 speed had that.. Its in the dealer for broken shift tangs or tabs... Mine clunked almost like a shock to the driveline...
firestrokesocal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
I have a 2013 JK Sport S (2 door) with 3.73's and have a similar situation when I hear a clunk noise when shifting in the the lower gears. I just assumed it was the way I shifted, but notice it would disappear if I consciously release the clutch slowly.
__________________
2013 JK Sport Billet
6-Speed manual / 23S / 3.73 + Other Stuff
NewJeepFriend is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
gsn
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jceo View Post
I have a slight clunk between shifts in the lower gears on my 2013 JKU 6 Speed 3.73 with less than 2k miles. It happens when the clutch engages (when I take my foot off) when starting out in first, going into second, third and fourth. It also seems to occur if I am driving in first or second in a parking lot and momentarily let off the gas. When I start to accelerate again it will "clunk" as any slack in the drivetrain is taken up.

The noise seems to be coming somewhere from the transfer case back. I know there are threads relating to transmission noise but it does not seem to be coming from the trans. The best way I can describe it is a slight clunk. I can avoid it if I really feather the clutch on the way out so that it engages very gradually but normal shifting seems to produce the noise. Does anyone else have this noise? Is it normal?
Clunk clunk clunk, can you post a video of it for sound? What you seem to be hearing and describing is the flywheel coping with the difference in rotation from the engine and the transmission, and I believe, and Im pretty sure it is normal, as I can reproduce a clunk when not shifting properly or lazily, in any manual trans. The better you shift, the less you hear it or you wont hear it at all. And if you let off the gas it will carry on in its own momentum and if you accelerating again it will "clunk-adjust" to sync the engine with the trans. Anything that causes the engine and trans to go at different speeds will produce a clunk (depressing clutch fast, letting go of the clutch (dropping it), shifting up at lower rpms or too slow without blipping the gas to bump the rpms, shifting down too slow without blipping the gas, etc)

But again, I would need a sound, since your clunk may be difference from my clunk ;b
gsn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,649
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Typically normal. There is a small amount of play in the drive line. When the clutch is released, the play is suddenly taken up.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,506
Pretty normal. I have the same thing in my 2013 and in my older 2010.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,750
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeepFriend View Post
I have a 2013 JK Sport S (2 door) with 3.73's and have a similar situation when I hear a clunk noise when shifting in the the lower gears. I just assumed it was the way I shifted, but notice it would disappear if I consciously release the clutch slowly.
If you do this it will do it alot less. X2 with ESP and SilverSport. Maybe my 10 will do it once in awhile. But, for the most part I'm able to shift without the "clunk".
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Typically normal. There is a small amount of play in the drive line. When the clutch is released, the play is suddenly taken up.
The 1976 Accord I learned to drive stick on didn't do this.
My dad's 1977 Chevy van with three-on-the-tree didn't do this.
My friend's 1978 CJ (three speed) doesn't do this.
My 1979 Scout didn't do this.
My 1994 Ranger didn't do this.
My 2002 Saturn doesn't do this.
My buddy's 2003 TJ doesn't do this.
My coworker friend's 2005 Mustang doesn't do this.
My girlfriend's 2006 Mini doesn't do this.
My other coworker's 2012 Challenger R/T doesn't do this.

So what's the precedent for this play to be considered normal?
Scoutnad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Atomic Decals Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Crystal Lake, McHenry County, IL
Posts: 47
I have noticed it too on my 07. Only have had the Jeep a year, and that clunk comes and goes. Figured it was a little slack in the driveline depending on my driving habits, like others previously stated.
Atomic Decals Owner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,649
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutnad View Post
The 1976 Accord I learned to drive stick on didn't do this.
My dad's 1977 Chevy van with three-on-the-tree didn't do this.
My friend's 1978 CJ (three speed) doesn't do this.
My 1979 Scout didn't do this.
My 1994 Ranger didn't do this.
My 2002 Saturn doesn't do this.
My buddy's 2003 TJ doesn't do this.
My coworker friend's 2005 Mustang doesn't do this.
My girlfriend's 2006 Mini doesn't do this.
My other coworker's 2012 Challenger R/T doesn't do this.

So what's the precedent for this play to be considered normal?
The precedent for me is every manual trans equipped vehicle I have owned exhibited this characteristic, some only slightly, others like my Jeeps were more noticeable.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 80
Yep...there can definitely be a normal clunk with a manual...like an earlier poster said, usually someone not shifting smoothly or being a little lazy on the stick with get it...I've owned or driven hundreds of manual cars from jeeps to $300,000+ sports cars(didn't own those...wish I did!) and I could clunk it if I wasn't paying attention.
BUT, with that said..it doesn't mean that your clunk is normal..there is a driveline slack that can be clunked, but if you're a competent driver, it should be more accidental than regular.. maybe yours does have an issue.
Glad I basically offered no help and took up space here...:-)

Stevezie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC