SLIP and ESP/BAS lights after muddin...ugghhh - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Unhappy SLIP and ESP/BAS lights after muddin...ugghhh

Went muddin this weekend. Everything was great. On the way home the SLIP and ESP/BAS lights came on and will not go off. It's driving great but after looking online I've freaked myself out thinking my breaks will lock up and I'll crash into a tree or something. Going to try centering the steering tonight. Also, was in water STUCK over my bumper...getting differential and transmission fluids changed tonight too...I'm really hoping I haven't screwed something up really bad since I read you shouldn't push in the clutch or change gears when under water...how are you supposed to get out if you don't.......so any ideas? Little worried. 2010 Wrangler. 4" lift with 33's.

mbudd is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Greg__Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 327
I was in the same boat yesterday stuck with water over the front bumper. I'm going to change my diff fluid as a precaution. I've read about the concern in shifting while in water, but I had no choice. Anything I should investigate/inspect for damage?

Greg__Berger is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Greg__Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 327
Although looking at this thread:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ext...se-185089.html

I don't know that my breather hoses were under water.
Greg__Berger is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
cmaggi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudd View Post
Went muddin this weekend. Everything was great. On the way home the SLIP and ESP/BAS lights came on and will not go off. It's driving great but after looking online I've freaked myself out thinking my breaks will lock up and I'll crash into a tree or something. Going to try centering the steering tonight. Also, was in water STUCK over my bumper...getting differential and transmission fluids changed tonight too...I'm really hoping I haven't screwed something up really bad since I read you shouldn't push in the clutch or change gears when under water...how are you supposed to get out if you don't.......so any ideas? Little worried. 2010 Wrangler. 4" lift with 33's.
Those 3 lights came on when I broke a TPMS wheel sensor. Run the code first at a place that can read ABS codes. Hopefully that's it. Cheap and easy fix. You can clean the wheel sensors yourself to see if that fixes the problem. Mud and dirt can get between the wheel and sensor.

Good luck.
cmaggi2 is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,009
Those lights together are often an indicator of a wheel speed sensor. Like 35 bucks for the part and very easy to replace. Have auto zone scan it for you
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Ok...thanks...and I didn't know about breather hoses either, so have to check that too. Man there's a lot to know about just have fun...but it'll be worth it. I just don't want to have an issue while driving down the freeway. Hopefully changing out the oil in both places will avoid any future problems too.
mbudd is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerhelix View Post
Those lights together are often an indicator of a wheel speed sensor. Like 35 bucks for the part and very easy to replace. Have auto zone scan it for you
This is most likely the problem.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
cmaggi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerhelix View Post
Those lights together are often an indicator of a wheel speed sensor. Like 35 bucks for the part and very easy to replace. Have auto zone scan it for you
Check the code in your driveway first.
http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-write-ups...ey-mean-22539/
cmaggi2 is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
if you mean turning the key where you see the lines and DONE...that's all we are getting...no codes...
mbudd is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
cmaggi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 1,501
That is what I meant.

I'm lost if the codes are coming up clean. Are you under warranty by chance?
cmaggi2 is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
davwashere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 72
Centering the steering wheel should work. Takes about 5 min to make the adjustment. I would try that first.
__________________
Superdave

2009 JK Unlimited X 4" EVO Double D, Bilstein shocks, 5.13 gears, ARB Lockers, 37" Goodyear MTR's on 17" Fuel Trophy wheels
davwashere is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23,663
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaggi2 View Post
Those 3 lights came on when I broke a TPMS wheel sensor. Run the code first at a place that can read ABS codes. Hopefully that's it. Cheap and easy fix. You can clean the wheel sensors yourself to see if that fixes the problem. Mud and dirt can get between the wheel and sensor.

Good luck.
Have you ever seen our wheel speed sensors? They set into the hub, have an o ring seal, and are held in place with an Allen head bolt. By design water and dirt can't get inside.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudd View Post
Went muddin this weekend. Everything was great. On the way home the SLIP and ESP/BAS lights came on and will not go off. It's driving great but after looking online I've freaked myself out thinking my breaks will lock up and I'll crash into a tree or something. Going to try centering the steering tonight. Also, was in water STUCK over my bumper...getting differential and transmission fluids changed tonight too...I'm really hoping I haven't screwed something up really bad since I read you shouldn't push in the clutch or change gears when under water...how are you supposed to get out if you don't.......so any ideas? Little worried. 2010 Wrangler. 4" lift with 33's.
Is you steering wheel off center?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
cmaggi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post

Have you ever seen our wheel speed sensors? They set into the hub, have an o ring seal, and are held in place with an Allen head bolt. By design water and dirt can't get inside.

Is you steering wheel off center?
Yes. I've cleaned dirt off of mine before. I cleaned it before bringing the jeep to the dealership.
cmaggi2 is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,009
The sensors are pretty well protected, but they do fail pretty often from what I've seen.

A steering wheel off center will produce an ESP light. If your abs,esp, and hill brake assist (manual) are inop it is most likely the sensor.
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,024
I had a wheel speed sensor shatter into the hub and it had to be pulled apart to clean it out. Sucked big time.
Siren Assassin is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23,663
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerhelix View Post
The sensors are pretty well protected, but they do fail pretty often from what I've seen.

A steering wheel off center will produce an ESP light. If your abs,esp, and hill brake assist (manual) are inop it is most likely the sensor.

Yeah, the sensors are fragile and will break easy but I don't buy into the notion that its easy for dirt and water to get inside the sensor location.
Having offroad debris snag a sensor harness and break/damage it is a possibility. OP should have a code(s) though.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,009
Agreed, properly seated it would be near impossible for anything to get in there. I've had two fail. One from damage, and the other just randomly gave up on life.
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport

Yeah, the sensors are fragile and will break easy but I don't buy into the notion that its easy for dirt and water to get inside the sensor location.
Having offroad debris snag a sensor harness and break/damage it is a possibility. OP should have a code(s) though.
Agree

Broke mine doing ball joints and had Had drill it out
There's a 0-ring that will keep crap out.
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
Anyone know if they have a replacement wire plug for right rear anywhere I can purchase or does new sensor come with plug?

Rabuck is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC