snapped 4WD shifter cable - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,807
snapped 4WD shifter cable

Snapped the cable for the 4WD shifter yesterday. Just pulled the boat off the ramp in 4 low and was stopped with the transmission in neutral, shifted out of 4 lo hit neutral and then pop, the shift lever had no tension what so ever and moved freely back and forth. Not only had the cable broke but the plastic ring on the linkage end had also come off the lever post.
I was unable to move the lever on the transfer case by hand because it's a very small area next to the drive shaft and it takes a fair amt of force to move it.
So the wife towed the boat then me home. Then I got the idea of using a peice of cord with a small loop in it. I slipped the loop over the post on the xfer case lever, ran it foreward along the driveshaft and pulled it and managed to move the lever foreward into 2wd. Now I am able to drive the Jeep. A 3 ft peice of parachute cord is now standard equipment in the jeep tool box.
I try to be as gentle as possible, because i know the nylon plastic connector at the end of the linkage is a weak "link".
Anybody have any tips for easing the shifter between 4 hi lo and 2wd?

damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
It is designed to break to prevent you from damaging your TC. If it broke then you were forcing it beyond it's threshold. Glad you got your boat home, if you're more careful (never forceful) and follow proper shifting procedure then you won't have this happen again.

__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,807
It usually it glides out of 4lo pretty easy into 4hi or 2wd. Going into 4lo can be tricky sometimes. I thought I was being gentle
I guess my wife is right...that i should be more gentle and sensitive.
I hope it's covered under my extended warranty.
But that could leave you F'd if it happened on the trail, that transfer case lever is not at all easy to get to.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
The plastic connecting piece that is down there can be bought in bulk for about $.60cents at any dealership. I forget the part number for it but its on the forums here. Most keep several in the glove box for back up.

Here ya go.

Link for more info about it and the part number for the plastic retaining clip you can buy from a dealer.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/not...eel-99139.html




A pic of it installed
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,807
Thanks ESP. That makes me wonder.....because the bushing is intact but the retainer peice is gone. Is it possible that the cable is not broke, but came off the bottom of the shifter handle because of the loss of tension? I don't know how the shifter cable is attached to the shift lever. How easy would the console be to pull off and take a peak? May have to research that and see if I can repair this thing myself. Thanks again ESP.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Mech. Engr. & Mechanic

WF Supporting Member
 
jmb6420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 485
Part numbers for the clip and bushing are:
68018106AA
68064273AB
__________________
**********
Mike
08 Flame Red Rubicon
Cibie H4 headlamps
You can't fix stupid!
jmb6420 is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,716
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Like ESP said, bushings are cheap. Get a couple and keep them in the glovebox.
The correct part number is 68064273AA.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Like ESP said, bushings are cheap. Get a couple and keep them in the glovebox.
The correct part number is 68064273AA.
Absolutely do this. When I asked my dealer about it the parts dept. readily gave me 5 of them which I keep in the console. Haven't had to use one yet. I make sure I go steady and easy.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,807
Yep. definitly doing that. Come to find out that there is also a plastic retainer on the bottom of the console shifter lever that holds the cable on. It also is prone to breakage. I'm sure that one is toast because when i push and pull the cable at the TC, the lever on the console doesn't move but the cable does slide back and forth.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Mech. Engr. & Mechanic

WF Supporting Member
 
jmb6420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
The correct part number is 68064273AA.
Hmm. They must have changed the part number recently. I've got a sack of them with the factory part number still on it. 68064273AB ?

Doesn't really matter, the parts guys should know what you are talking about. Just get some!
__________________
**********
Mike
08 Flame Red Rubicon
Cibie H4 headlamps
You can't fix stupid!
jmb6420 is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
N3M0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Central MA
Posts: 1,214
Im going to pick some of these up. Thanks
N3M0 is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Afmcronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 391
My parts guy told me there was an updated bushing when I gave him the PN that I got here. I keep 5 of them in the GB. Didn't think about the retainer clip. How often does that thing fail? Guess I should get a handful of those, too.
Afmcronnie is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,807
The retainer clip was also gone off the TC shift lever post. But I think the main culprit in my case is the plastic pin that connects the cable to the console shifter. But yea, I'm getting a hand full of all three of these little problem parts when I head out to dodge this week.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,049
Thanks for the #s.

Yesterday I was towing in a tough spot and came up onto the flat to shift into 2W. The lever was 'stuck' in 4L despite my gentle and loving efforts....and I didn't want to cause a failure.

After the standard tricks it still was 'stuck'. Finally drove about 50' and it magically became very easy to shift. I'm headed for the part dept. for spares, even though I have ~1~ in the console.

Odd that a better fail-safe mechanism wasn't designed that this set up.
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Nanook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 186
I ordered 20 of these, shipping was more than the total for 20, about 4 years ago. I have never needed one but have handed out some to friends or Jeepers in need. I try to make sure I shift my transfer case when on a small hill. When the teeth don't line up gravity helps them to mesh.
Nanook is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,807
Just all seems like a less than Ideal engineering. As simplistic as it is, it shouldn't be so difficult as to possibly leave you stranded in the middle of no where.
If I hadn't read a thread several months ago about how how and where to manually shift the TC lever if your linkage fails, I would have been calling a tow truck. But managed to get that peice of cord on it and pop it into 2wd.
Thanks for the suggestions.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
gnjlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM.
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by damndirtydog View Post
Just all seems like a less than Ideal engineering. As simplistic as it is, it shouldn't be so difficult as to possibly leave you stranded in the middle of no where.
If I hadn't read a thread several months ago about how how and where to manually shift the TC lever if your linkage fails, I would have been calling a tow truck. But managed to get that peice of cord on it and pop it into 2wd.
Thanks for the suggestions.
It's called Fail 'Safe'. Having Grown up in a tremendously safe area ... Detroit I would have thought you wouldn't be able to strand yourself so easily???? On second thought, the designers live nearby, you would think they would have thought of this. Sorry to hear about your issue. Guess I need to visit the parts department.
gnjlee is offline   Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
rtguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by damndirtydog View Post
Snapped the cable for the 4WD shifter yesterday. Just pulled the boat off the ramp in 4 low and was stopped with the transmission in neutral, shifted out of 4 lo hit neutral and then pop, the shift lever had no tension what so ever and moved freely back and forth. Not only had the cable broke but the plastic ring on the linkage end had also come off the lever post.
I was unable to move the lever on the transfer case by hand because it's a very small area next to the drive shaft and it takes a fair amt of force to move it.
So the wife towed the boat then me home. Then I got the idea of using a peice of cord with a small loop in it. I slipped the loop over the post on the xfer case lever, ran it foreward along the driveshaft and pulled it and managed to move the lever foreward into 2wd. Now I am able to drive the Jeep. A 3 ft peice of parachute cord is now standard equipment in the jeep tool box.
I try to be as gentle as possible, because i know the nylon plastic connector at the end of the linkage is a weak "link".
Anybody have any tips for easing the shifter between 4 hi lo and 2wd?
sounds like you still had bind/tension from the incline and weight of the boat on your tcase. i thought u are supposed to shift to/from 4low while slowly rolling 2-3mph? i think if it gets stuck and doesn't want to shift easily you can roll forward a few feet and then reverse a few feet to ease the tension.
__________________
2012 JK Black Forest Green
rtguy is offline   Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
It's called Fail 'Safe'. Having Grown up in a tremendously safe area ... Detroit I would have thought you wouldn't be able to strand yourself so easily???? On second thought, the designers live nearby, you would think they would have thought of this. Sorry to hear about your issue. Guess I need to visit the parts department.
Lol! Yea I understand the failsafe Idea. But atleast make it somewhere that it can be easily accessed and repaired in the field. There's not enough space to get your hand up there to move the lever on the transfer case because its only a few inches from the drive shaft and one of the skid plates. That's why a peice of cord is now standard trail equipment.
I do usually roll and shift, but its hard to roll slowly with a tandem axle trailer on a very flat surface. I would have tried to roll it a bit...but it came out of 4lo very easily and seemed like it was ready to go from neutral position into 4H and pop. But...yes I will certainly treat it like a new born baby in the future.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Jeepmadness_av's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Apple valley
Posts: 51
I was on a trail in bass lake CA and had this happen to me. Had to
Hike back to the camp site then call a recovery team to pull me back to the street so AAA can finish the tow! Now keep a good amount of these in my box. Better to pay 4$ for a few then the 400$ to recover my jeep again! ?
Jeepmadness_av is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
12thman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepmadness_av View Post
I was on a trail in bass lake CA and had this happen to me. Had to
Hike back to the camp site then call a recovery team to pull me back to the street so AAA can finish the tow! Now keep a good amount of these in my box. Better to pay 4$ for a few then the 400$ to recover my jeep again! ?
Were you not able to shift it from underneath?
12thman is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
12thman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
The plastic connecting piece that is down there can be bought in bulk for about $.60cents at any dealership. I forget the part number for it but its on the forums here. Most keep several in the glove box for back up.

Here ya go.

Link for more info about it and the part number for the plastic retaining clip you can buy from a dealer.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/not...eel-99139.html

A pic of it installed
Has it been a long time since you bought those? It seems the price has gone up by 500%.
12thman is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Jeepmadness_av's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Apple valley
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
Were you not able to shift it from underneath?
negative I wasn't able to get to it because the skid plate was in the way and I didn't have my tools to get to it. Price did go up to almost a dollar now. I got 5 pieces from the dealer last month for about 6$
Jeepmadness_av is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 100
I think I am a bit slow, but I don't understand how the white piece holds everything together. I can understand how the black piece fits onto the TC's lever, but how does the white piece fit in? I did crawl under my jeep, but I cant actually tell or view the assembly very well. I was able to view the black portion of the cable, but I did not see the white piece.

Also is it a clip or a bushing? The white piece looks like a clip and the black piece looks like a bushing.

Regardless based on everyone's input I was going to go get a few of these (part# 68064273AB)....is this the white piece? They are about 3 bucks each at a dealership in Az.



Thanks
__________________
2015 JKURHR (Anvil)
Manual
4.10
Arrived 12/30/2014
I have saved my entire life for this damn Jeep!
Atomic B Funk is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
BDC84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 68
Help... Stuck in 4 hi!!!!!

Watch the video.
BDC84 is online now   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC84 View Post

Thanks!

This clarifies everything.
__________________
2015 JKURHR (Anvil)
Manual
4.10
Arrived 12/30/2014
I have saved my entire life for this damn Jeep!
Atomic B Funk is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
BDC84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 68
You are welcome. I know it helped me when mine broke.
BDC84 is online now   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC84 View Post
You are welcome. I know it helped me when mine broke.
Do you have any tips to get the center console off? The video already had this portion disassembled.
__________________
2015 JKURHR (Anvil)
Manual
4.10
Arrived 12/30/2014
I have saved my entire life for this damn Jeep!
Atomic B Funk is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
BDC84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 68
Emergency break has to be pulled back as far as humanly possible! Once you get the torx screws out it is just a matter of pulling the console up and back at the correct angle. E break is the main obstacle. Oh yeah, take the shift handles off first!

BDC84 is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC