So who uses their ipod with their 430/730N? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 111
So who uses their ipod with their 430/730N?

I mention those two systems specifically because I don't know what the standard system offers.

Anyways, what I want to know is a couple of things.
1) How do you connect it to the jeep? Is it by USB or an Aux cable?

and

2) Do you have complete control over the songs played? Can you set a playlist or set it to random shuffle through the ipod?

I ask this because currently I have a sony MP3 player and when I try to connect it via USB my MP3 player locks into it's "connecting do not disconnect" screen and I can't change songs/select playlists/shuffle or anything. I can only skip songs 1 at a time via the console/wheel buttons... which is completely useless.

I'm trying to figure out if buying an ipod will fix my issue or not, or if the ipod is just as useless when connected to the jeep.

Hopefully someone understands what I'm talking about, heh, I've been trying to get an answer for this for a while.

__________________
*****************
2012 Sahara 2door - ordered 10SEP11
D1 05OCT11
I 17OCT11
KZ 21OCT11
Purchased 29OCT11
Zmob is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
I've used my ipod by plugging it into the USB port in my center console. (I've got a '12 with the 430N and uConnect option.) Also my iphone, via bluetooth.

Never messed with the ipod or iphone themselves to select a song, though.

The first week I bought it I copied all of the music from my i-tunes library to a 16G memory stick, and downloaded all of into the 430N's HDD library. So now, if I'm not listening to satellite or local radio, I use the "Random Play" setting on the HDD, and can skip songs with my steering wheel controls. If I add songs to my i-tunes library, I copy only the new ones, and add them to the HDD.

Not sure if that made sense.

Condensed version: I no longer use my iphone or my ipod plugged into my stereo; all music is on my HDD drive.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 111
Yeah, that made sense. And I suppose I could do that too (once I figure out how to import songs).

Was just kinda hoping I could plug in and hit shuffle though. It'd save time in the long run by not having to clean out the hard drive when I want to delete songs I don't care for anymore.
__________________
*****************
2012 Sahara 2door - ordered 10SEP11
D1 05OCT11
I 17OCT11
KZ 21OCT11
Purchased 29OCT11
Zmob is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
basecamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,213
2012 JKUR with 430N and Connectivity group.

I use both bluetooth and the USB port in the center console depending on how far i'm going. You can definitely use the random function I do it all the time and you can go forward and back using the controls on the back of the steering wheel. Not sure if you can pick a specific song never tried that.
__________________
2012 JKUR Black Forest Green
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bas...ld-128626.html
basecamper is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
JayHawker45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leavenworth, Kansas
Posts: 240
I have a 2011 Rubicon with the 730N system, I use my IPod frequently, but I'm almost to the point now to transfer my music to a USB drive and then to my HDD. So far, no real issues with using the IPod.
JayHawker45 is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 111
Hmm, this sounds promising then. Thanks guys.

I did forget about the bluetooth thing as well. My sony MP3 player has bluetooth too, I just keep forgetting to charge the thing so I could try it out on the jeep. I'd imagine I'd have full control over the mp3 player in that case.

Edit: ultimately I'm leaning towards an ipod anyways, so it's useful hearing of success with it in the jeeps.
__________________
*****************
2012 Sahara 2door - ordered 10SEP11
D1 05OCT11
I 17OCT11
KZ 21OCT11
Purchased 29OCT11
Zmob is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
A little different, but has anyone tried to use their iPhone and stream pandora over USB? I know it works over BT, but it's terrible quality.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmob View Post
Hmm, this sounds promising then. Thanks guys.

I did forget about the bluetooth thing as well. My sony MP3 player has bluetooth too, I just keep forgetting to charge the thing so I could try it out on the jeep. I'd imagine I'd have full control over the mp3 player in that case.
I do know that the nav system prioritizes which device to recognize as the "primary" device, when more than one are putting out bluetooth signals. So, not sure if the stereo would play songs from your mp3 player while your phone was the primary device (if the two are separate).
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
nwsportsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamper
2012 JKUR with 430N and Connectivity group.

I use both bluetooth and the USB port in the center console depending on how far i'm going. You can definitely use the random function I do it all the time and you can go forward and back using the controls on the back of the steering wheel. Not sure if you can pick a specific song never tried that.
2012 JK Sahara with 430N and uConnect here. Use my iPod with the USB in the center console. You definitely can access a specific song, album, artist through the car stereo interface or uConnect...easier through uConnect if you have a bunch of the songs on the iPod (over 11k on mine) as the search interface on the 430N is a little clunky...hope that helps!
nwsportsguy is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
basecamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsportsguy View Post
2012 JK Sahara with 430N and uConnect here. Use my iPod with the USB in the center console. You definitely can access a specific song, album, artist through the car stereo interface or uConnect...easier through uConnect if you have a bunch of the songs on the iPod (over 11k on mine) as the search interface on the 430N is a little clunky...hope that helps!
Thanks I learned something new today
__________________
2012 JKUR Black Forest Green
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bas...ld-128626.html
basecamper is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Bulldawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Morinville, Alberta
Posts: 201
I purchased the 160gb clasic Ipod, loaded it with everything from audiobooks and music ect... I leave it plugged into the center concole and never take it out for anything other than updating. I can not use the ipod when it is docked. I use the head unit to select playlists, shuffle music, search by either artist, album, genre etc... love it. Should mention this is on the 730n.
Cheers
__________________
Proud Owner of a 2012 JKU Rubicon

Ordered (02/08) Took Posession (13/09): White, 6 Speed Standard, Auto A/C, Heated Seats, Max Tow Package, 730n RHR, Dual Tops and Conectivity Group
Bulldawgs is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
1quick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,207
I have my iPhone 4 plugged into the USB port in the center console and have it synchronized through bluetooth for my phone. If I hit the media button I can view my music library and playlists on the 430 screen. You can also change the song forward/back with the steering wheel control. You can definitely shuffle your music library as well.
__________________
2014 Willys
1quick1 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,053
JKU with 730N and Uconnect.

I have my ipod/iphone plugged into the USB cable in the center console. Works like a charm. I just wish there was a way for the HDD to copy directly from the ipod.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westwood,nj
Posts: 6
Problems

Anybody else have problems when you hook up the iPod thru USB(center console). Some times it just says searching a couple times and then kick you back to satellite....then when you try again it works...this is from a 12 jku 430n...
Jifney is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
I use multiple ways:
1. An ipod Nano (or my iPhone) connected to either USB
2. iPhone connected through USB.

The only issue I've seen is that if I start on SAT/AM/FM I sometimes I have to select whether I want USB or Bluetooth. Given that, sometimes there is a bit of lag too. I'm hoping a software update alleviates that issue.

Speaking of which, I've been searching for the best place to get NAVTEQ updates too. If anyone could PM where they get them from that would be awesome!
chris.george is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Red Sector A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jifney
Anybody else have problems when you hook up the iPod thru USB(center console). Some times it just says searching a couple times and then kick you back to satellite....then when you try again it works...this is from a 12 jku 430n...
There is a delay in recognizing external devices via unconnect USB and you will notice that even if the device is connected when you start your vehicle or power on the 430n, devices listed under AUX (media hard button, AUX soft button) don't show up until they are recognized by the scan. So if you start let's say on Sat Radio and press media/AUX it will switch back to Sat Radio if the device isn't ready yet. You just have to give it a couple of seconds to register
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara / Flame Red
Saddle Leather / Dual Tops / 430N / Max Tow / 3.73 / Connectivity Group / Heated Seats / Remote Start / 18" 7-spoke

Proudly built on Sept 11, 2011
Red Sector A is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 14
Not to jack the read, but Has anybody noticed after downloading music to the HDD, that certain music was missing on the device but not the iPod. I had issues in my 09 and it annoyed me to all hell. It also scrambled and made up names to my music. I'm hesitant to put on the 430N. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone came across this on the new systems
enwhypetey is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
I use multiple ways:
1. An ipod Nano (or my iPhone) connected to either USB
2. iPhone connected through USB.

The only issue I've seen is that if I start on SAT/AM/FM I sometimes I have to select whether I want USB or Bluetooth. Given that, sometimes there is a bit of lag too. I'm hoping a software update alleviates that issue.

Speaking of which, I've been searching for the best place to get NAVTEQ updates too. If anyone could PM where they get them from that would be awesome!

Buy the DVDs from Chrysler/dealer directly. They will cost about $150. The price is set by Navteq, so it doesn't matter where you get it, and for what system. My aftermarket Alpine navigation in my s2000 is the same price, my acura, and my friends lexus are all $130-$150.

However, unless you....

1)Live in a part of the country where they build a new road every 3 weeks
2)You MUST have the latest POIs and restaurant locations

Don't waste your money updating any more often than once every 5 years.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westwood,nj
Posts: 6
Thx RED SECTOR....
Jifney is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
NJRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
I have a '12 JK Rubicon with the 430N and uConnect. I put all the playlists I wanted from iTunes on to my old 4 gig iPod Nano. It lives in the center console hooked up to the USB. I access everything thru the head unit...playlists, artists etc. I can also use the voice recognition to choose a particular song (among other things I'm sure, but that's the only one I've used). I'm sure shuffle is in there somewhere, I haven't looked for it. The head unit isn't all that intuitive to use. I haven't tried streaming via bluetooth because I read on this forum that the audio quality is far worse than with a USB connection.

MY question is: when you listen to music via your iPod the way I do, and you turn the Jeep off, does your iPod come back on the next time you start it? Almost all the time, when I start the Jeep, it defaults to satellite radio. I always hit the media button to switch to my iPod. Once in a while, when I start it, the iPod comes on automatically. It's driving me nuts, I want it to always default to iPod but I don't know if it can. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has an answer, I'd love to hear. Thanks
NJRubicon is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Bulldawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Morinville, Alberta
Posts: 201
MY question is: when you listen to music via your iPod the way I do, and you turn the Jeep off, does your iPod come back on the next time you start it? Almost all the time, when I start the Jeep, it defaults to satellite radio. I always hit the media button to switch to my iPod. Once in a while, when I start it, the iPod comes on automatically. It's driving me nuts, I want it to always default to iPod but I don't know if it can. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has an answer, I'd love to hear. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Okay mine does that as well but just the opposite, the majority of the time the head unit finds the device and starts to play where I left off and on the occasion it defaults to the sat radio. interesting...
__________________
Proud Owner of a 2012 JKU Rubicon

Ordered (02/08) Took Posession (13/09): White, 6 Speed Standard, Auto A/C, Heated Seats, Max Tow Package, 730n RHR, Dual Tops and Conectivity Group
Bulldawgs is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,210
I have found that this seems to be a time related thing. It seems that if you're listening to the iPod when you turn the key off and come back with a short time (I haven't really got the time down) the iPod will continue play where it left off. But if you come back past 30-45 minutes, the iPod play will need to be started.
I'll look more into this when I get some time. I'm out of town this week for work.



Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRubicon View Post
I have a '12 JK Rubicon with the 430N and uConnect. I put all the playlists I wanted from iTunes on to my old 4 gig iPod Nano. It lives in the center console hooked up to the USB. I access everything thru the head unit...playlists, artists etc. I can also use the voice recognition to choose a particular song (among other things I'm sure, but that's the only one I've used). I'm sure shuffle is in there somewhere, I haven't looked for it. The head unit isn't all that intuitive to use. I haven't tried streaming via bluetooth because I read on this forum that the audio quality is far worse than with a USB connection.

MY question is: when you listen to music via your iPod the way I do, and you turn the Jeep off, does your iPod come back on the next time you start it? Almost all the time, when I start the Jeep, it defaults to satellite radio. I always hit the media button to switch to my iPod. Once in a while, when I start it, the iPod comes on automatically. It's driving me nuts, I want it to always default to iPod but I don't know if it can. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has an answer, I'd love to hear. Thanks
xsdbs is offline   Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
I have found that this seems to be a time related thing. It seems that if you're listening to the iPod when you turn the key off and come back with a short time (I haven't really got the time down) the iPod will continue play where it left off. But if you come back past 30-45 minutes, the iPod play will need to be started.
I'll look more into this when I get some time. I'm out of town this week for work.
I've noticed the same behavior with my 2012 730N/iPhone4/Nano 6G. Has anyone found a way to boost the volume for devices such as the iPods thru the USB ports? My MINI Cooper had an AUX level adjuster.
devicemanager is offline   Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
Mile high Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
isitme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by devicemanager View Post
I've noticed the same behavior with my 2012 730N/iPhone4/Nano 6G. Has anyone found a way to boost the volume for devices such as the iPods thru the USB ports? My MINI Cooper had an AUX level adjuster.

This may be a dumb question, but is your iPod volume up all of the way? if so, play with the different EQ settings on the iPod itself.
__________________
Cliff

2012 JKU Rubicon Sahara Tan
3.5" Rock Krawler Max Travel, Teraflex- Elka Shocks
34.6" General Red Letters on Procomp 7069's
isitme is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by isitme View Post
This may be a dumb question, but is your iPod volume up all of the way? if so, play with the different EQ settings on the iPod itself.
The iPod volume and EQ have zero effect on sound while hooked up to the Jeep's usb port.
devicemanager is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Morrisville, NC
Posts: 75
Have a 2012 with 430n and connectivity group.

I've used Bluetooth and the USB to connect my iphone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4 to the system. If you are on iOS 5 or higher you can stream Pandora just fine, once it connects, just start Pandora up. Once it gets going, it tells you artist, album,title info. You can also use the radio or steering wheel controls to skip tracks.

One thing I've noticed is that the bluetooth on the jeep has a ridiculously long range. This morning I went to get breakfast and her phone was in the house, upstairs and probably 50+ feet away and it connected.
__________________
Used to have:
2001 Cherokee, 2002 TJ, 2005 LJ

Now have:
2012 JK Unlimited
Sherifftruman is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,210
This is an issue with the radio SW. Each media section has a gain adjustment within the SW. Hopefully Harman will come out with a radio update to fix this issue for the 730N owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicemanager View Post
I've noticed the same behavior with my 2012 730N/iPhone4/Nano 6G. Has anyone found a way to boost the volume for devices such as the iPods thru the USB ports? My MINI Cooper had an AUX level adjuster.
xsdbs is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
I've used my ipod by plugging it into the USB port in my center console. (I've got a '12 with the 430N and uConnect option.) Also my iphone, via bluetooth.

Never messed with the ipod or iphone themselves to select a song, though.

The first week I bought it I copied all of the music from my i-tunes library to a 16G memory stick, and downloaded all of into the 430N's HDD library. So now, if I'm not listening to satellite or local radio, I use the "Random Play" setting on the HDD, and can skip songs with my steering wheel controls. If I add songs to my i-tunes library, I copy only the new ones, and add them to the HDD.

Not sure if that made sense.

Condensed version: I no longer use my iphone or my ipod plugged into my stereo; all music is on my HDD drive.

ahhh...just found the "random play" button. It was becoming very frustrating listening to the same songs in the exact same order everytime i got into the car
Jeep4Vin is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
NJRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Vin

ahhh...just found the "random play" button. It was becoming very frustrating listening to the same songs in the exact same order everytime i got into the car
Where is the random play button for the hdd? And do you happen to know if there is a random play button for the iPod as well? Thanks
NJRubicon is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRubicon

Where is the random play button for the hdd? And do you happen to know if there is a random play button for the iPod as well? Thanks
While listening, hit "menu" then check "shuffle".

__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Wrangler usb ipod connectivity issue with 130 RES media center radioscooter JK General Discussion Forum 27 11-11-2014 01:22 PM
2012 Wrangler usb ipod issues HELP! radioscooter Communications and Electronics 12 07-18-2013 11:51 AM
HELP ME PLEASE!!! ipod adapter not responding poppop Communications and Electronics 5 07-15-2010 10:45 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC