Soft Top - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Soft Top

Hi everyone,
Im a new Jeep owner. I just bough a 08 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. It came with a hard top. Im looking for a soft top and I found a factory one on craigslist from a 12 Rubicon with the frame. My question is will that fit on my 08?

So would the 12 Rubicon fit my jeep or should I look for aftermarket ones and if so what brand is the best?

brichar2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
I think if you get all the hardware from that 2012 top you should be fine. If you look for aftermarket try bestop there cheaper and do the same thing but are heavy fabric that lasts long. Make sure whatever softop you buy, ask for a sunrider with the softop because its easy and fast cool sunroof that flips open.

jerseywild is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
NJJeep Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 92
Get all the parts and enjoy. Only difference in the tops are window size and the change to the cable securing edges.
NJJeep Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
keviper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJJeep Guy View Post
Get all the parts and enjoy. Only difference in the tops are window size and the change to the cable securing edges.
I think they use totally different hardware...I could be wrong, but I think there are a couple threads on here that talk about this.
__________________

JKU Willys - Granite Crystal Half Doors
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO-

()_)()_)=°°=)_)
keviper1 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
Ya just make sure the windows are the same year as the top fabric itself because some are wider and some smaller. It will fit as long as the hardware is the same year as the soft top and windows.
jerseywild is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Smokinjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: InyoKern, CA
Posts: 630
I have a 09 Rubi just picked up a 2013 soft top it will fit no problem only if it comes with all hardware. Loving the soft top got the premium top and is nice
Smokinjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
I might be able to get this factory top for $750. Do you think it would be worth it to spend a little more money for the bestop brand? Is the quality that much better?
brichar2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
Build Thread Queen

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
StarBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichar2 View Post
I might be able to get this factory top for $750. Do you think it would be worth it to spend a little more money for the bestop brand? Is the quality that much better?
Bestop MAKES the OEM top for Chrysler. You're getting the same workmanship, but I believe the quality on the Premium OEM top is better.

If it's a Premium soft top for $750, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. If it's a standard soft top, then maybe not so much...
__________________
2014 JKU FE - 'Celticon' - Hydro Blue Pearl - Auto - 3.73 - Premium Soft Top - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift w/Rancho 9000xl Shocks - 15" MBTKO/33" DuraTracs - ACE Rock Sliders/Cargo Basket - Rampage Recovery Bumper
My build thread: StarBrite's Celticon

Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
StarBrite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite View Post
Bestop MAKES the OEM top for Chrysler. You're getting the same workmanship, but I believe the quality on the Premium OEM top is better.

If it's a Premium soft top for $750, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. If it's a standard soft top, then maybe not so much...
How would I be able to tell the difference? Just by looking at the quality? He told me he bought it for $1800 and it came with a bikini top too. But who knows if thats the truth.
brichar2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Smokinjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: InyoKern, CA
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichar2 View Post
How would I be able to tell the difference? Just by looking at the quality? He told me he bought it for $1800 and it came with a bikini top too. But who knows if thats the truth.
If you order a Premium OEM soft top that price shoul be about $1500 so it's close. The premium is much thicker and just looks heavy duty also 2013 and 2014 has larger windows. Premium OEM soft tops come with dual top options on Rubi and Sahara, so if you find some one willing to sell the soft top go for it.
Smokinjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinjoe View Post
If you order a Premium OEM soft top that price shoul be about $1500 so it's close. The premium is much thicker and just looks heavy duty also 2013 and 2014 has larger windows. Premium OEM soft tops come with dual top options on Rubi and Sahara, so if you find some one willing to sell the soft top go for it.
I was thinking about getting a Bestop Trektop NX Soft Top. Any experience with those?
brichar2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichar2 View Post
I was thinking about getting a Bestop Trektop NX Soft Top. Any experience with those?
I've had mine for about a month now. Couldn't be happier, and IMO it looks much better than the stock soft top.
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Build Thread Queen

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
StarBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichar2 View Post
I was thinking about getting a Bestop Trektop NX Soft Top. Any experience with those?
There's another user, Nuke73 (I think that's the number... I know it starts with. Nuke) has written several posts comparing Premium, trektop NX and one other one. The best one was in a thread started by user QTKids, I think, but I can't remember the name of the thread.

If you don't have any luck searching for those threads, you might send Nuke a PM. He's posted some great write ups, and owns all three tops so you get a real world comparison.
__________________
2014 JKU FE - 'Celticon' - Hydro Blue Pearl - Auto - 3.73 - Premium Soft Top - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift w/Rancho 9000xl Shocks - 15" MBTKO/33" DuraTracs - ACE Rock Sliders/Cargo Basket - Rampage Recovery Bumper
My build thread: StarBrite's Celticon

Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
StarBrite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Bubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson
Posts: 107
I've done a lot of research on this recently and bought a 2014 Premium top the other day (haven't had time to install it yet). The tops were all revised in mid-2010 to include a cable-type tensioner along the side. You probably want one of these styles for their ease of use.

In 2013 they started offering the Premium top, which is a three layer material. You'll be able to tell the difference for sure by looking at the inside--Premium is black and standard is white/grey. Around me (Tucson) I have a like new 2011 and 2012 version for sale on CL in the $500 range. Premiums are rare but I was able to find a good deal for $650.
Bubb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 199
great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb View Post
I've done a lot of research on this recently and bought a 2014 Premium top the other day (haven't had time to install it yet). The tops were all revised in mid-2010 to include a cable-type tensioner along the side. You probably want one of these styles for their ease of use.

In 2013 they started offering the Premium top, which is a three layer material. You'll be able to tell the difference for sure by looking at the inside--Premium is black and standard is white/grey. Around me (Tucson) I have a like new 2011 and 2012 version for sale on CL in the $500 range. Premiums are rare but I was able to find a good deal for $650.
The best I could find was a 2013 premium for 850. Picking up this weekend.
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
Premium tops are expensive, could you imagine how much it is to replace a window when it gets cut open by a thief!
jerseywild is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 199
I did end up picking up my soft top the other weekend. Condition was immaculate for a '13. Seller said it was only used for 3 months, you could tell he took care of his stuff by looking at his 2 BMWs and BMW bike in the garage! ...that's always a good sign on a CL purchase: some times you never know if you're going to roll up in the getto. He also threw in a bunch of gear he no longer needed since he sold his jeep, so I feel like it was a good deal.
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 134
Here's one on Ebay. I think this one will be sitting for quite a while! Dude's asking $1600, plus $169 in shipping! Ouch!

Brand New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Premium Soft Top – Never Used | eBay

hypobid is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC