Soft Top for a 2013 JKU - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Soft Top for a 2013 JKU

Hi All,

Last month I bought a 2013 JKU with a hard top. I live in New York and want to take advantage of the spring/summer warmth, so I'm in the market for a soft top.

I'll need one that can be used for daily driving, long trips, etc, but also is easily stripped for sun and put back up for the rain that catches you off guard. Preferably one that stays attached sitting on the back like the factory soft top can.

What suggestions might you all have?

Thanks,

Dan

Naiche is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,921
I'm a big fan of the bestop trektop NX. It's not completely like a real soft top in that it doesnt fold all the way back but it's really nice.

For a lot more $$$ bestop has the supertop nx which functions as a typical soft top.

__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
mike1158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 745
Craigs List buddy...original equipment 4 door tops are EVRYWHERE ! some never used.....
__________________
2013 Sahara 2dr BILLET, auto, hardtop, 430N, heated seats, auto temp., 3.73s, limited slip, tow pack, remote start ORDERED 2/26..Delivered 4/1
mods: Jeep 7 Spoke wheels & General Grabber AT2 275/65-18, WeatherTech liners
mike1158 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
whitej0606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27
Best top nx. Is the way to go!
whitej0606 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West Manitoba
Posts: 13
I went with the supertop nx. I liked the look of the trextop but couldn't see a good way to take it right down and keep it with the Jeep. Risk of pop up thunder storms is to high to get caught sans top.
__________________
2013 JKU Sahara, Rock Lobster,Auto, 3.73, Leather, 430N, Connectivity
ManitobaSky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Ponderosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 177
Factory style Supertop NX (in black twill if you have the money for it). The sunrider feature opens all the way past the back seat on the JKU meaning everyone gets a little sun but you still have a covered area in back for your stuff.

I also recommend you get the spyderwebshade in trail mesh. The sun can be really uncomfortable in summer, at least where I live.
__________________
2013 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sahara
Ponderosa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Commodore Perry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Factory style Supertop NX (in black twill if you have the money for it). The sunrider feature opens all the way past the back seat on the JKU meaning everyone gets a little sun but you still have a covered area in back for your stuff.

I also recommend you get the spyderwebshade in trail mesh. The sun can be really uncomfortable in summer, at least where I live.
X2,it's great and the fabric is awesome. We had a TJ w soft top and this is light years ahead of the old soft tops.
Commodore Perry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 156
The soft tops are all over Craigs list in new York. I got an oem off a 13 for 500
__________________
2013 JKU Oscar Mike
1993 YJ - Sold
underwaterdan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Factory style Supertop NX (in black twill if you have the money for it). The sunrider feature opens all the way past the back seat on the JKU meaning everyone gets a little sun but you still have a covered area in back for your stuff.

I also recommend you get the spyderwebshade in trail mesh. The sun can be really uncomfortable in summer, at least where I live.
So you're suggesting this one: $1563
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11103_0235_07.htm

Over this one: $1120
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11102_153X_PG.htm

Basically for the difference in fabric and ability to "sunrider" both rows of seating instead of just the front?

Also, the second one says 07-12 JKU - is that compatible with the '13?

And can the doors that come with this model be easily purchased later on without the top / are there different or cheaper ones anyone might suggest?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11102_2535_07.htm

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Very helpful. I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist and all I've seen of the factory 4dr tops near Westchester NY are going for $900-$1200 and not willing to come down in price. Is the Bestop Supertop nx any better/worse than the factory top? Should I save the money and just get a factory one if I get one brand new off Craigslist? I've also never had or really seen one before so I'd be afraid to not get ALL the pieces from a random person and then be screwed.
Naiche is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Also just spoke to someone on Craigslist who has the premium soft top brand new on the jeep he just bought (dual top, so just the framework is on there).

Has it listed for $1200, but willing to take $900 cash. I've seen em go for $800-850 though. Should I just get that one? He's about a 30 min drive away and will bring it to me.
Naiche is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
mike1158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiche View Post
Also just spoke to someone on Craigslist who has the premium soft top brand new on the jeep he just bought (dual top, so just the framework is on there).

Has it listed for $1200, but willing to take $900 cash. I've seen em go for $800-850 though. Should I just get that one? He's about a 30 min drive away and will bring it to me.
i don't think you can beat that deal for that PREMIUM top...and delivered !.. you can get a standard one cheaper..but for the 4 door i'd go premium if you can afford it...thats much cheaper then you'd pay for it from the factory...if you go from Hard top to Dual Top Group (which adds the PREMIUM soft top) it adds about $1200 to the price.. that top aftermarket 9Besttop NX TWILL) will run you a good $1,500
I'd say do it and be done....
__________________
2013 Sahara 2dr BILLET, auto, hardtop, 430N, heated seats, auto temp., 3.73s, limited slip, tow pack, remote start ORDERED 2/26..Delivered 4/1
mods: Jeep 7 Spoke wheels & General Grabber AT2 275/65-18, WeatherTech liners
mike1158 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,128
Agreed, for that price a premium top is hard to beat.

Make sure if you get it, you get the top, the the boxes of stuff and the roll bar bracket.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks for all the replies! Made a deal with a different gentlemen - from our forum - and he was kind enough to even agree to assist in taking it off his brand new jeep and installing it on mine.

Premium soft top just in time for Spring!
Naiche is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Congrats on scoring a deal!
Debjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Morris4x4Center's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiche View Post
Hi All,

Last month I bought a 2013 JKU with a hard top. I live in New York and want to take advantage of the spring/summer warmth, so I'm in the market for a soft top.

I'll need one that can be used for daily driving, long trips, etc, but also is easily stripped for sun and put back up for the rain that catches you off guard. Preferably one that stays attached sitting on the back like the factory soft top can.

What suggestions might you all have?

Thanks,

Dan
Any of these soft tops are perfect for your JKU.

Bestop® Supertop NX

Bestop Trektop NX

Bestop Twill Supertop NX
__________________
Morris4x4Center.com
Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM - with any questions or Price-Matching!
Morris4x4Center is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
FloridaFeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center View Post
Any of these soft tops are perfect for your JKU.

Bestop® Supertop NX

Bestop Trektop NX

Bestop Twill Supertop NX
How similar is the Bestop Twill Supertop NX to the Mopar OEM Premium Soft Top? I really like the ease of lowering and raising the factory soft top and was wondering if the Bestop is just as easy?
FloridaFeMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,746
Images: 13
I just scored a premium top as well.

I ordered a Trektop NX a few weeks ago....but never really wanted it. I posted about it on another forum, and a someone sent me a PM asking if I wanted to trade.

I was shocked...

I asked him if he was sure, and explained what I knew about the Trektop NX. It is funny how things work. Everything that I didn't like about the Trektop was exactly what he was looking for and vice versa. I was so happy I kicked in $100 just because it was such a good deal. (Thanks Drew!)

I can now rock my Spiderwebshade under the soft-top. The wife is happy because I'll be able to keep the sun off of the new kid that will be here this summer, and I extra room in the cargo area to haul stuff.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Jaxpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 34
Will the bestop quick disconnects work on a 2013 unlimited with the premium soft top?
Jaxpilot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxpilot View Post
Will the bestop quick disconnects work on a 2013 unlimited with the premium soft top?
No, they won't work on any of the 2013 Unlimited tops, standard or premium. It's because they added the spring assist feature, so you don't remove it by those 4 bow ends on the JKU anymore.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Jaxpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post

No, they won't work on any of the 2013 Unlimited tops, standard or premium. It's because they added the spring assist feature, so you don't remove it by those 4 bow ends on the JKU anymore.
Any instructions on how to take it completely off?
Jaxpilot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxpilot View Post

Any instructions on how to take it completely off?
There should be 2 retaining straps that snap to the soft top frame. Unsnap those and slide down the bow. There is a tab on the bracket they will hook on. You have to make sure they are hooked, or yours spring assist will unwind itself and it's very difficult to get back. After the straps are hooked, com in from the back doors and you should see 2 Torx bolts on each side where the soft top bracket attaches to the roll bar bracket. Remove those bolts on each side. Take the top and pull up to make the straps you installed previously tight. Then slide up on the brackets to disengage them from the roll bar brackets. After that you have normal removal of the door surrounds if desired.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post
There should be 2 retaining straps that snap to the soft top frame. Unsnap those and slide down the bow. There is a tab on the bracket they will hook on. You have to make sure they are hooked, or yours spring assist will unwind itself and it's very difficult to get back. After the straps are hooked, com in from the back doors and you should see 2 Torx bolts on each side where the soft top bracket attaches to the roll bar bracket. Remove those bolts on each side. Take the top and pull up to make the straps you installed previously tight. Then slide up on the brackets to disengage them from the roll bar brackets. After that you have normal removal of the door surrounds if desired.
Any possibility of a video of this for us visual folks?
Naiche is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiche View Post

Any possibility of a video of this for us visual folks?
I'm down in Disney World for the rest of the week, maybe when I get back I can throw something together.

__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC