Soft Top Issue on my JK - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Soft Top Issue on my JK

Just went ahead and removed the hard top and put on the soft top because summer is right around the corner! I have a 2008 4 door Unlimited with both stock tops. So, my problem is that soft top is not fitting in flush with the back doors. There is this gap right where the door is suppose to shut. Does anyone have any help/adivce for this problem? I'll try to get pictures up to help explain the problem I've had.

eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Pics will help. Are you talking about the windows or the top itself. If it's the windows you need to clip them into the C channel on the door surrounds.

__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
redz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 280
I agree pics will help. If you're talking about the little gap under where the window and zipper meets, large enough for you to fit your finger through, thats normal.
redz1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasting32 View Post
So, my problem is that soft top is not fitting in flush with the back doors. There is this gap right where the door is suppose to shut.
See if this thread addresses how to fix the problem.
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
Pics will help. Are you talking about the windows or the top itself. If it's the windows you need to clip them into the C channel on the door surrounds.
I'll have pictures up by tomorrow or the day after. What is the C channel? Yeah it's not the the actually window but it's those clips that fit right near where the door shuts.
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasting32 View Post
Yeah it's not the the actually window but it's those clips that fit right near where the door shuts.
You can forget the pics. This is the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
See if this thread addresses how to fix the problem.
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
redz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 280
Did you not get the door surrounds? If you don't have door surrounds there will be a gap between your door and your soft top.
redz1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
You can forget the pics. This is the answer:
Yes, this thread is awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz1 View Post
Did you not get the door surrounds? If you don't have door surrounds there will be a gap between your door and your soft top.
Yeah, I installed the L looking thing that fits above the door. Is their something that goes over the physical door or no? I was thinking no but, still new to everything.
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
redz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasting32 View Post
Yeah, I installed the L looking thing that fits above the door. Is their something that goes over the physical door or no? I was thinking no but, still new to everything.
No, nothing else.
Did the other post answer your question?
redz1 is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
No, actually it didn't quite solve my problem. To try to explain it more, the problem is where the side of the rear windows meets the door. Is there an area I should be looking for to tuck the window into the side of the door? It flaps and becomes undone at speeds of 55-75mph.
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Bumpppp, someone help me out here.
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
carsonx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 75
need to make sure that the windows "lock" into the frame right where the door meets..if that makes any sense...similiar to the way the top locks into place...hope that helps..
__________________

2007 Jeep Sahara
2" lift
Ultra Gauntlet Black Wheels
Jeff Carson, Cibolo, TX
carsonx4 is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasting32
No, actually it didn't quite solve my problem. To try to explain it more, the problem is where the side of the rear windows meets the door. Is there an area I should be looking for to tuck the window into the side of the door? It flaps and becomes undone at speeds of 55-75mph.
I promise the other thread is the answer. Read it more carefully--that's precisely the problem I was having when I started that other thread.

If you still disagree, post pics showing the problem.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
JeepJKRiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 586
The L shape bracket you're talking, is the the large L- bracket under the roll bar, or are you referring to the small L- Brackets along the stitching of the vinyl top?

You need the large L- bracket in place, and when they are, there are groove slots along the under edge of the roof top portion of the bracket, then those small L brackets need to be tucked inside the groove slots.. Hope that helps.
JeepJKRiders is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 31
that is a good video, I actually saw that a couple days ago, I admit, I am a little nervous about this new soft top. I figured out the top on my TJ without any help, but when I picked my shiny new 2011 JKU up yesterday after the dealer installed the soft top, the cargo area is full of parts, and attachments, and doo-hicky's.

I am still waiting for a friend to come over and help me remove the hard top, before attempting the soft top. I am confident I can figure out putting the soft top up/down, but all those do-hickey's are what I need to decipher.
Domenico is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Yeah I took pictures, I've just had a hard time trying to resize the file because it says its too large. Anyways tho, its right when I shut the door the soft top windows don't fit flush because I'm confused on where to tuck it in. Sorry if I'm confusing you haha just new to the soft top and the manual wasn't helpful for me.
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Should I fold the the edge of the window into somewhere on the door frame? Pretty confused so if anyone had a picture of how their soft top windows fit around the doors would help!
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
1) use Velcro to loosely hold window in place.
2) zip only about 4 inches of zipper.
3) fold the solid strip of the door-side of the window 180 degrees into the channel in the black plastic "door surround" that abuts the door when the window is out. The strip will literally have been folded over such that it wraps around the door surround.
4) zip the rest of the window.
5) pop in the lower edging of the window into the channel along the upper edge of the jeep. This is very much like what was done in step 3.
6) fix the Velcro.
7) admire own handiwork.

Window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
1) use Velcro to loosely hold window in place.
2) zip only about 4 inches of zipper.
3) fold the solid strip of the door-side of the window 180 degrees into the channel in the black plastic "door surround" that abuts the door when the window is out. The strip will literally have been folded over such that it wraps around the door surround.
4) zip the rest of the window.
5) pop in the lower edging of the window into the channel along the upper edge of the jeep. This is very much like what was done in step 3.
6) fix the Velcro.
7) admire own handiwork.

Window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.
+2+2+2 best set of instructions!!! Thanks a bunch man that solved my problem! The dealer didn't even fix it but your set of instructions did! Haha I never realized how easy that was
eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasting32
+2+2+2 best set of instructions!!! Thanks a bunch man that solved my problem! The dealer didn't even fix it but your set of instructions did! Haha I never realized how easy that was
FINALLY!

Great. See? Simple. Now go enjoy that Jeep.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
FINALLY!

Great. See? Simple. Now go enjoy that Jeep.
MTH my friend, you are the man. Saved me from the most annoying flapping and unwanted breezes flying in from those windows.

eastcoasting32 is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
doors , issue , jk 2008 , not fitting , soft top

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oem soft top thor44 JK General Discussion Forum 13 11-05-2010 12:54 AM
Issue with retention clip on the soft top Door Surrounds. bwyman74 JK General Discussion Forum 12 10-16-2010 01:44 PM
Bestop Soft Top Liner....Problem#2 steam JK General Discussion Forum 2 09-02-2010 10:00 AM
Soft top removal issue; 2000 TJ. Ageless Stranger TJ Tech Forum 3 08-29-2010 05:38 PM
Hard top to soft top parts?? gntjeep TJ Tech Forum 3 07-29-2009 09:36 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC