soft top question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Newb
 
pski00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
soft top question

I am a new happy owner of a 2012 Wrangler sport. I love my Jeep and I am only having one issue. On the highway my rear side windows blow open if I drive above 70mph. I have tried to pull the windows forward weekly. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to fix this? Or is it just something soft top people deal with? Thanks

pski00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by pski00
I am a new happy owner of a 2012 Wrangler sport. I love my Jeep and I am only having one issue. On the highway my rear side windows blow open if I drive above 70mph. I have tried to pull the windows forward weekly. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to fix this? Or is it just something soft top people deal with? Thanks
Welcome,
U need to pull the fabric tight into the "U" channel in the door surrounds.

Support the window with the velcro
Only zip about 1"
Tuck into the U channel
Zip fully
Keep pulling from the rear, keeping that fabric tight in the channel.
Velcro
Body channel and done.

A lot of folks don't even know of the channel in the door surrounds and have the same issues.

kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
TK-213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
It sounds like you might not have them tucked into the door surrounds correctly. Un velcro them completely, unzip them all he way back to the start and un hook them at the bottom from the jeep.
Open the door- and tuck the leading edge down into the channel on the door surround - so that one seam is showing when the door closes. Once you have that all tight, the rear window should look like it's wrapped around the surround and into the car when the door is closed-
From there, zip the window in.
Then start at the back and attach the bottom of the window moving forward to the door. Once that's done, velcro everything up.
That's how i do mine - super tight and right.
TK-213 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Welcome,
U need to pull the fabric tight into the "U" channel in the door surrounds.

Support the window with the velcro
Only zip about 1"
Tuck into the U channel
Zip fully
Keep pulling from the rear, keeping that fabric tight in the channel.
Velcro
Body channel and done.

A lot of folks don't even know of the channel in the door surrounds and have the same issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-213
It sounds like you might not have them tucked into the door surrounds correctly. Un velcro them completely, unzip them all he way back to the start and un hook them at the bottom from the jeep.
Open the door- and tuck the leading edge down into the channel on the door surround - so that one seam is showing when the door closes. Once you have that all tight, the rear window should look like it's wrapped around the surround and into the car when the door is closed-
From there, zip the window in.
Then start at the back and attach the bottom of the window moving forward to the door. Once that's done, velcro everything up.
That's how i do mine - super tight and right.
^Right. You're installing them incorrectly. When done correctly, nothing flaps in the breeze.

My write-up from another thread:

(1) With top otherwise up and done, hang a window using the Velcro.

(2) Zip the zipper NO MORE than 6". Just get it started.

(3) Fold the part that you're currently seeing flap in the breeze in toward the plastic door surround behind it, tucking the hard plastic that's embedded in the window fabric into the channel in the door surround. It folds over in a "u" shape. This is the step you're presently missing.

(4) Zip the zipper the rest of the way.

(5) Stretch and leverage the plastic strip on the bottom of the window into the channel on the jeep's body. You may need to go back to step 3 and retuck a bit to make sure it's still in tight after doing this.

(6) Fix the Velcro and admire handiwork.

The window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.

In essence, the window is secured on the top and rear by the zipper, and on the bottom and front by attached/embedded plastic that's folded into a channel on the jeep/door surround. You're missing the step to secure the front.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,979
Pretty sure you are not tucking the outer hard lip into the door surround channel. If done correctly, the leading edge is actually pointing to the rear of the vehicle.

Bob K.
nwbronco is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
smokintaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
pretty sure you are not tucking the outer hard lip into the door surround channel. If done correctly, the leading edge is actually pointing to the rear of the vehicle.

Bob k.
+1
__________________
If you think you can't....you've already lost.....
smokintaps is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Newb
 
pski00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks everyone! I had no idea that u locks were even there. My 2012 is my first Wrangler. Now I have zero complaints with my Jeep!
pski00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
TK-213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
Solid!
TK-213 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 897
This is for an unlimited but the window removal & putting them back on should be the same.


Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC