Softops year updates ? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
Softops year updates ?

Is there a difference from the softtops sold in the 2011 models as compared to years prior?

JeepinGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,509
I'm not sure. I think they are still using the Sunrider soft tops on both 2010 and 2011.

__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,212
10 and 11 are different than earlier, but they will fit if you get all the parts, especially the door surrounds. The big difference is that prior to '10 the drip rails clipped into the surrounds. The new ones have a spring loaded cable or something to that affect.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 62
Images: 3
from 2007-2009 they used the same tops.. 2010 they changed it completely and from i've seen the 2011 have a different latch on the back.. soo i dno!
__________________
"To everyone is given the key to heaven; the same key opens the gates of hell."

2010JK Islander AKA BulletProof

2010BulletProof is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,212
What do you mean by "different latch"?
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 62
Images: 3
hatch* i was at the dealership and the back tailgate for some reason the back window is different then mine.. its hard to explain lol
__________________
"To everyone is given the key to heaven; the same key opens the gates of hell."

2010JK Islander AKA BulletProof

2010BulletProof is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Turbaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 154
The back window is larger (wider) for 2011.
__________________
Put your seatbelt on, I wanna try something....

Even if the voices are not real, they have pretty good ideas!
Turbaru is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
2007-2009 are the same.

2010 and 2011 are "cable tops" - they use a spring and cable system to hold the front part of the top down tightly over the doors. This makes it much easier to flip the top back for the Sunrider sunroof feature.

The cable tops use slightly different door surrounds. They do not need a lip to attach the plastic tabs/canards too, and instead need a flat "shelf" for the cable to sit on top of. It's a small difference, with basically a non-removable small plastic "shelf" put into the slot of the earlier surrounds.

In addition, 2011 has a larger rear window, as turburu points out.

The dimensions for all JK years are the same, so a 2011 top will fit a 2007, if as Daggo points out, you swap all the hardware too.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,212
Geoff, is there a difference in the rear section on the 2011's as some people are pointing out? I think someone mentioned that there is no longer a plastic clip for the bar and that it is now on the tub?
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Geoff, is there a difference in the rear section on the 2011's as some people are pointing out? I think someone mentioned that there is no longer a plastic clip for the bar and that it is now on the tub?
Are you talking abut the bows, or the tailgate bar?

Either way, I do not believe there have been changes to the hardware.

BUT, I work in aftermarket, and we don't always see the factory stuff. It's a different division, and since we don't sell it, or market it, we don't always hear the small details. Remind me next week when people come back to work, and I'll find out for sure (those guys all seem to have been here forever, and have like 40 weeks of vacation time).
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,212
Thanks, the tail gate bar. Maybe you should check with Britta!
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Maybe you should check with Britta!
The cute girl says it, so it must be true?

Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,212
That girl has a promising future as a political speech writer.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
My concern is that my 2011 was missing the soft top, so they gave me one from an 08 or 09 (not totally sure).. I want to make sure it has everything I SHOULD have gotten and will fit my new jeep properly.
JeepinGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,212
The older one will fit, provided it has all the parts. However if it was supposed to be part of a dual top option, I would not accept the older version if I were you.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
So got my new-in-a-box top today.. It's a mopar 2010 by the part number.. I'm assuming that the 11 and 10 are the same..?. I know the hardtop window is larger... is it the same on the soft top?

I think I just answered my own question....
Part number is IDENTICAL on both.. so this would make me believe that they are the same.

Bonus is that because it came separately, it's all in one giant box for me to assemble in the spring. (the dealership did offer if I have problems) the box JUST fit with the rear seats down.
JeepinGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BulletProof View Post
from 2007-2009 they used the same tops.. 2010 they changed it completely and from i've seen the 2011 have a different latch on the back.. soo i dno!

You're right. The 2010's are different around the door surrounds. The top is more of a press fit compared to having to push the top into the groves around the door.
cvt8474 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Turbaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl View Post
So got my new-in-a-box top today.. It's a mopar 2010 by the part number.. I'm assuming that the 11 and 10 are the same..?. I know the hardtop window is larger... is it the same on the soft top?

I think I just answered my own question....
Part number is IDENTICAL on both.. so this would make me believe that they are the same.

Bonus is that because it came separately, it's all in one giant box for me to assemble in the spring. (the dealership did offer if I have problems) the box JUST fit with the rear seats down.

The 2011 soft top back window is larger than the 2010.
__________________
Put your seatbelt on, I wanna try something....

Even if the voices are not real, they have pretty good ideas!
Turbaru is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
Newb
 
JKJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
2007-2009 are the same.

2010 and 2011 are "cable tops" - they use a spring and cable system to hold the front part of the top down tightly over the doors. This makes it much easier to flip the top back for the Sunrider sunroof feature.

The cable tops use slightly different door surrounds. They do not need a lip to attach the plastic tabs/canards too, and instead need a flat "shelf" for the cable to sit on top of. It's a small difference, with basically a non-removable small plastic "shelf" put into the slot of the earlier surrounds.

In addition, 2011 has a larger rear window, as turburu points out.

The dimensions for all JK years are the same, so a 2011 top will fit a 2007, if as Daggo points out, you swap all the hardware too.

Hi, I'm new to the Jeep all together. I bought my first one at the end of October. It is a '10, four door with the two top option. I've not experienced the soft top yet. What do you mean by the "Sunrider roof feature?" By chance does that mean I can pull back the top over the front seat only, and drive like that? (I hope - I hope - I hope) That's what I love about the hard top, is the ability to remove the panels over the driver seat only. It's quick and easy, and I can put it back on real fast to lock the Jeep in parking lots.
__________________
JK Jim
JKJim is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
Wonder why they have the same part number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbaru View Post
The 2011 soft top back window is larger than the 2010.
JeepinGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
adrenaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl View Post
Wonder why they have the same part number?
Maybe Geoff's girl can answer that?
adrenaline is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
I'd love to see a photo of a factory softop from a 10 and 11 installed.
JeepinGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJim View Post
Hi, I'm new to the Jeep all together. I bought my first one at the end of October. It is a '10, four door with the two top option. I've not experienced the soft top yet. What do you mean by the "Sunrider roof feature?" By chance does that mean I can pull back the top over the front seat only, and drive like that? (I hope - I hope - I hope) That's what I love about the hard top, is the ability to remove the panels over the driver seat only. It's quick and easy, and I can put it back on real fast to lock the Jeep in parking lots.
Yes, that is exactly what the Sunrider is.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl View Post
So got my new-in-a-box top today.. It's a mopar 2010 by the part number.. I'm assuming that the 11 and 10 are the same..?. I know the hardtop window is larger... is it the same on the soft top?

I think I just answered my own question....
Part number is IDENTICAL on both.. so this would make me believe that they are the same.

Bonus is that because it came separately, it's all in one giant box for me to assemble in the spring. (the dealership did offer if I have problems) the box JUST fit with the rear seats down.
If you value your time, and relationships let the dealer put it together.... Being familiar with our TJ softtop, my husband and I assumed the JK softtop would not be a problem to assemble...... Well, long story short, we did FINALLY get it put together, marriage in tact, but some mean things were said.. If the dealer had offered to put it together for us, we would have taken advantage of it...
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
Considering that the dealership did body damage to my rear quater panel just installing the gas door, I'm REALLY hesitant to let them ANYWHERE near my jeep. It took 2 hours of bending metal back to make it straight again I've had SOOO many issues with them already. I'm just glad to have my top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
If you value your time, and relationships let the dealer put it together.... Being familiar with our TJ softtop, my husband and I assumed the JK softtop would not be a problem to assemble...... Well, long story short, we did FINALLY get it put together, marriage in tact, but some mean things were said.. If the dealer had offered to put it together for us, we would have taken advantage of it...
JeepinGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl View Post
Considering that the dealership did body damage to my rear quater panel just installing the gas door, I'm REALLY hesitant to let them ANYWHERE near my jeep. It took 2 hours of bending metal back to make it straight again I've had SOOO many issues with them already. I'm just glad to have my top.
Oh......... Well, in that case, make sure the drill has a good charge, and you have plenty of room and adult refreshments available, and twice as much time as you think you'll need... We put ours together at least 3 times before we got it right...

__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
year 2 year soft top differences BobKnake TJ General Discussion Forum 10 11-04-2010 01:20 PM
Free 1 year NRA membership rallykid Off-Topic 9 03-28-2009 12:08 AM
How can you tell what year hardtop you have 1SGWBB TJ Tech Forum 3 02-21-2009 05:31 PM
What do you want this year? amerijeep Off-Topic 8 12-01-2005 05:50 PM
What are you thankful for this year? You can say Jeep if you want. amerijeep Off-Topic 8 11-30-2005 07:48 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC