Sound Upgrade - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
KEITHC69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
Sound Upgrade

I've got the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with the factory stereo with Subwoofer, but I'm looking to upgrade the factory speakers, does anybody have any recommendations for a great sound?

KEITHC69 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
I'm new, so I think I can get away with posting this and not sounding rude... Search. There are a TON of threads on this subject.

Not to mention, you didn't give us any information on what your car has now... 430 or 720, etc. But search is your friend on this subject.

Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,647
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
I'm new, so I think I can get away with posting this and not sounding rude... Search. There are a TON of threads on this subject.

Not to mention, you didn't give us any information on what your car has now... 430 or 720, etc. But search is your friend on this subject.
Well done....
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,974
I still have my stockers but I've read many posts with guys that upgrade to Polks and Kickers and really like the sound.
wassup8687 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
j0nx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NoVa
Posts: 848
JL C2-650 and 650x. BEST speakers you can buy for the money. Simply amazing sound when paired with a decent amp and the tweeters slide right into the stock tombstones with no modification.
__________________
Natural Green 2012 JKU Sport with S Package | Freedom Top | Auto | Side Steps | Max Tow | Connectivity | Remote Start
j0nx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 12
I just replaced all of my speakers and subwoofer about 5 weeks ago in my Wrangler Unlimited. I put in JL Audio components and coaxials speakers with a JL Audio amp. I also installed the JL Audio Subwoofer Stealthbox for Wrangler Unlimiteds with a JL Audio dedicated amp for that sub. The systems sounds amazing and its night and day compared to the infiniti system that came with my 2012. I kept the same 730N radio system and the only issue that I encountered was the JL Audio Stealthbox required additonal parts I had to order from Jeep. The Stealthbox mounted nicely and didnt take away from my cargo space in the back but as a result of removing the infiniti subwoofer and panel there were 2 pieces that I needed to add to complete the installation. If anyone decides to get the JL Audio Stealthbox ( highly recommended) here are the Jeep part numbers to the addiotional pieces you will need for the installation:

1PU12DX9AG - $80.25
1PU18DX9AD - $19.00


Here are my sound systems specs:

JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 - amp
JL Audio XD 600/1 - amp
JL Audio C2 - 650 - components
JL Audio C2 - 650x - coaxials
JL Audio Stealthbox - 13" woofer
730N HU
phllyntv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Ltblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
JL C2-650 and 650x. BEST speakers you can buy for the money. Simply amazing sound when paired with a decent amp and the tweeters slide right into the stock tombstones with no modification.
I have those too and yes they are nice
Ltblue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Newb
 
bbrunick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
I am looking to install this exact JL audio set up in my new Jeep. Do you happen to have pictures of your amp Installation? I am debating between under the seats and in the cargo area. Would love your advice!
bbrunick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
KEITHC69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
I really do appreciate your information. What were the 2 parts that you ordered for though?
KEITHC69 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
DaveStruggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 32
I did the JL change too......JL C5 650 in the dash....and JL C5 650x in the soundbar,but those in the soundbar cause avery loud rattle,vibration even on spoken channel on the radio a very tiny volume,so my audio dealer put tape to secure the wirring and the crossover and add a liitle piece of acoustic tissue now I ve got no rattle but no High too they sound like crap exactly like my old Infinity with their original amplifier...It sucks hard......no ratlle or no high.
I put a JL AUDIO 12w6 v2 in a custom kind of sthealthbox (very good job on this from my audio dealer ).I love this sub.
I had an Alpine PDX5 with Pioneer AVH-P4400BH to run those speakers and sub....oh my god this little Alpine amplifier is realy realy bad....at every loud bass part he shut off and i have to restart my JK...It suppose to handle well those speakers and sub...Like it s wrote in the manual 75watts rms 4 channels and 300Watts at 2-4ohm mono.......What a joke......
So I about to purchase a factory refurbished JL HD900/5 on ebay,what do you think on thise refurbished units.

p.s. sorry for my english I am a french canadian
__________________
Chef,BBQ lover,frontman of Sons of Disgrace and a newest Jeep lover
DaveStruggle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
fishmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStruggle
I did the JL change too......JL C5 650 in the dash....and JL C5 650x in the soundbar,but those in the soundbar cause avery loud rattle,vibration even on spoken channel on the radio a very tiny volume,so my audio dealer put tape to secure the wirring and the crossover and add a liitle piece of acoustic tissue now I ve got no rattle but no High too they sound like crap exactly like my old Infinity with their original amplifier...It sucks hard......no ratlle or no high.
I put a JL AUDIO 12w6 v2 in a custom kind of sthealthbox (very good job on this from my audio dealer ).I love this sub.
I had an Alpine PDX5 with Pioneer AVH-P4400BH to run those speakers and sub....oh my god this little Alpine amplifier is realy realy bad....at every loud bass part he shut off and i have to restart my JK...It suppose to handle well those speakers and sub...Like it s wrote in the manual 75watts rms 4 channels and 300Watts at 2-4ohm mono.......What a joke......
So I about to purchase a factory refurbished JL HD900/5 on ebay,what do you think on thise refurbished units.

p.s. sorry for my english I am a french canadian
I think you got a bad Alpine PDX5 amp. I have had mine for about a year and it has been a champ.
fishmd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Mr.Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 349
Its all in the amp. replace the amp, get the aftermarket polks or kickers, and youre set. The infinity component system in the JK uses 2 ohm speakers in the soundbar, and in front. replacing them with the kickers isnt going to give you better sound at all. Yeah you can believe that the polyfil will work, but its just the same.
Mr.Dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,835
I've just recently suffered what sounds like a cone fracture in one of my sound bar OEM speakers.....which is downright annoying even though I don't listen much.

Gotta do something.

The old sub is worthless too.
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITHC69 View Post
I really do appreciate your information. What were the 2 parts that you ordered for though?

Once you remove the factory infiniti subwoofer the seat belt area and where the sub used to sit is open. The two pieces are plastic panels that make it look factory. Its basically how it would look if a wrangler didnt come with the infiniti subwoofer.
phllyntv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 146
I still say dont worry about the speakers. Replace the head unit first then see if you want to replace the speakers. I replaced the factory head unit with a Kenwood unit, and the sound is a lot better. I may replace speakers down the road, but it made a world of difference just getting a head unit with enough power to utilize the speakers appropriately.
bigkevj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Tribefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkevj
I still say dont worry about the speakers. Replace the head unit first then see if you want to replace the speakers. I replaced the factory head unit with a Kenwood unit, and the sound is a lot better. I may replace speakers down the road, but it made a world of difference just getting a head unit with enough power to utilize the speakers appropriately.
I 100% agree. I just installed a Kenwood DDX-419 over the weekend and the difference in sound is huge. At least with the hard too on, there's no need for me to change out the speakers. Hopefully that'll still be my opinion once I take the top off in spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2703932439.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	185324   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-346402201.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	185325  

__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Banks Power Monster Exhaust & Cold Air w/Superchips Flashpaq
Paramount Restyling Modular Front Bumper w/Engo E9000 Winch
Mountain Edition Wheels w/285/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs
Kenwood DDX-419 DVD Receiver w/Kicker Speaker Upgrade
Some other minor upgrades & mods...
Tribefan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
fishmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribefan

I 100% agree. I just installed a Kenwood DDX-419 over the weekend and the difference in sound is huge. At least with the hard too on, there's no need for me to change out the speakers. Hopefully that'll still be my opinion once I take the top off in spring.
It won't be. ;-)
fishmd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Tribefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmd

It won't be. ;-)
Doh!

__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Banks Power Monster Exhaust & Cold Air w/Superchips Flashpaq
Paramount Restyling Modular Front Bumper w/Engo E9000 Winch
Mountain Edition Wheels w/285/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs
Kenwood DDX-419 DVD Receiver w/Kicker Speaker Upgrade
Some other minor upgrades & mods...
Tribefan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC