Spare tire carrier/tailgate hinge issues - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
That Jeep Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 378
Spare tire carrier/tailgate hinge issues

I would really like to hear from those of you who have mounted heavy wheels/tires on the factory spare tire carrier.

I have read reports of spot welds failing and hinges that have sagged severely and even failed.

I'm not necessarily referring to those who have oversized tires, but to those who have added weight.

The user manual states that the tire carrier can support 50 lbs., but I read that the 18" Sahara wheels with the factory equipped Bridgestone Duellers weighs 69 lbs. and that Rubicon wheel/tire combinations weigh 71 lbs.

I am considering a wheel/tire combination that is closer to 87 lbs. and want to find out how many people are running this kind of weight on the stock carrier without issues and how many have had spot weld, sheet metal, or hinge failure.

Yes, I am already aware that there are after market solutions.

Please chime in with your input.

That Jeep Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 593
I'm running 35" km2's on 17" Trail Ready rims. This combo weighs right at 100lbs. My spare has been on the tailgate for a year and 17k miles. No issues so far with any sagging or broken welds. I did fab up new bumpstop isolators to keep the spare from vibrating or rattling around. I also have an aftermarket rear bumper with a larger spare cutout so I don't have to run any extension bracket off the spare tire carrier.

hair2831 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,639
Since you are also looking at added weight ill chime in.

I have stock tires but I used to have a ski rack on the back all winter. The rack itself may have weighed 20 pounds and sticks out 18 inches from the tire. I used to carry up to 4 skis or snowboards. So that is also a decent amount of weight, maybe 60 pounds total including the rack and race skis.

Given that it stuck out so far that when it was loaded up I could tell it was wiggling a decent amount when I was on bumpy roads. Also when I opened it and close it I could tell that it was twisting the tailgate a little bit(it didn't quite close the same). This is why I decided to switch to roof racks.

Tires don't stick out quite as far as that rack so it would twist the tailgate less than i experienced. With the tailgate its hit or miss. Some people have issues and some don't. As a general rule the less weight you put on it, the less chance of problems.
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Kitebeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
I just took my spare off the rear gate as it was rattling quite a bit and I could tell it was getting worse. I have 35's and the ext to accommodate the extra large tire. Think I am going to get an after market rear bumper with tire carrier. Any recommendations?
Kitebeach is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Avondale
Posts: 7
I'm using Daystar tailgate bump stops and it appears to very solid, nice because you cut to fit. Jut my opinion
Bubba2010 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
OKCRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edmond
Posts: 15
When I first installed my lift and tires I was running my Nitto Terra Grapples 295/70/18 on the stock carrier. It would rattle on every little bump and I was always scared it would break something. I ran it that way for 3 months before I installed the TeraFlex HD hinge and carrier. I highly recommend it. No more issues.
__________________
2011 JKUR Sahara Tan: 4in Lift, JKS TB, Tereflex HD Carrier, LoD Front Bumper, 295/70/18 Nitto AT on 18" XD's.

Ex Jeeps: 05 Rubicon. '85 CJ7
OKCRubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
That Jeep Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 378
Anybody with this installed?

I found this while rummaging round the interwebs:

Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit

Link: Off Camber Fabrications 130903 - Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Has anyone installed this? Impressions?

What do those of you with any kind of engineering skills think of the concept? Would it really alleviate the extra load and stress factors being placed upon the tailgate, hinges, and stock spare tire carrier by a heavier spare wheel/tire combination?

It would certainly be an inexpensive solution were it to work.
That Jeep Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
FXnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy View Post
I found this while rummaging round the interwebs:

Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit

Link: Off Camber Fabrications 130903 - Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Has anyone installed this? Impressions?

What do those of you with any kind of engineering skills think of the concept? Would it really alleviate the extra load and stress factors being placed upon the tailgate, hinges, and stock spare tire carrier by a heavier spare wheel/tire combination?

It would certainly be an inexpensive solution were it to work.

I'm not an engineer, but to me personally this looks rather useless.

If I understand correctly, the spot welds that give are along the top of the seam of the gate, and I can't see any way this device would prevent that or help take the extra weight off the factory hinge, in fact you would be adding more weight to the gate.

I haven't read any reports of guys having the factory tire carry bolts pull through the gate, but if they did, this device would help but I can't see it for anything other than that.

Gimmick! My $0.02
FXnut is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
TreyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Inola, OK
Posts: 316
Attachment 407913

I had this happen after one wheeling trip with my 35" nitto trail grapplers... Tailgate was fine though
TreyJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
That Jeep Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 378
Thanks to all who have posted so far

It really does appear to be hit or miss. I know two fellow jeepers here with oversized and overweight combos on the factory carrier. One says no issues after almost a year. The other guy's carrier looks like TreyJK's - although he stated that he thinks he "may have backed into a tree".

This has really got my worry up about the heavy tires I had planned on getting. I won't pay the kind of money they are asking for something like an HD hinged carrier just to go up an inch in tire diameter. And I don't want to pay the kind of money Chrysler would want for replacement parts if/when something broke.

Please keep your posts coming as I'd like to know how common this is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyJK View Post
Attachment 407913

I had this happen after one wheeling trip with my 35" nitto trail grapplers... Tailgate was fine though
TreyJK - What would you estimate the 35" Nittos and wheel weigh?
That Jeep Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
DANNY-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St Lawrence county,northern ny
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCRubicon View Post
When I first installed my lift and tires I was running my Nitto Terra Grapples 295/70/18 on the stock carrier. It would rattle on every little bump and I was always scared it would break something. I ran it that way for 3 months before I installed the TeraFlex HD hinge and carrier. I highly recommend it. No more issues.
I agree,the TF is made strong.
DANNY-L is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Fwalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 77
My daughter is running 35x12.5 on her original carrier, but hasn't offroaded much, hers is holding for now, I think I'll be setting her up for a reinforcement carrier soon just to be safe. I am running the same and have switched to a rampage rear bumper with tire carrier. I love it, works great, no rattles and no worries of messing up the rear gate.


__________________
Live by the philosophy that the man who dies with the most toys wins!!
Fwalter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
TreyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Inola, OK
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy View Post
It really does appear to be hit or miss. I know two fellow jeepers here with oversized and overweight combos on the factory carrier. One says no issues after almost a year. The other guy's carrier looks like TreyJK's - although he stated that he thinks he "may have backed into a tree". This has really got my worry up about the heavy tires I had planned on getting. I won't pay the kind of money they are asking for something like an HD hinged carrier just to go up an inch in tire diameter. And I don't want to pay the kind of money Chrysler would want for replacement parts if/when something broke. Please keep your posts coming as I'd like to know how common this is. TreyJK - What would you estimate the 35" Nittos and wheel weigh?
I'd say it's a good 90 to 100 lbs. Those nittos have a lot of heavy rubber!
TreyJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 221
I had a 35/12.5 Toyo Open County A/T II with an 18" Moto Metal 962, weighed in around 95 pounds I believe. Had it on the stock tire carrier from June - October. Went mudding, crawling, & fording with it & have had no problems at all. I recently just replaced my back-end with the ACE rear bumper that comes with a heavy duty tire carrier & after inspecting it my tailgate is perfectly fine. The stock tire carrier doesn't have any cracks or anything either.

As others have said, it is a total hit or miss though. Some people have no problems at all & others have all the problems in the world. Just depends how lucky you are I guess. Lol.

it_felt_so_good is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC