Speakers for soundbar - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Speakers for soundbar

What size speakers fit in the overhead sound bar?
Any recommendations for a pair?
The stock ones sound pretty bad

silverjeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
IP0VV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,114
6.5". Nearly any speaker with same diameter and mounting holes will fit. As far as brand, it depends on how much you want to spend and what quality you want

__________________
Zack
IP0VV3R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
What's a top brand where I'll here the sound difference that has base too
silverjeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
IP0VV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,114
The sound bar speakers are mid range speakers so they won't have nearly the bass out put of subs. Kicker, Polk Audio, Rockford Fosgate, and JL Audio are some of the top brands
__________________
Zack
IP0VV3R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
I need to find a speaker that fits and uses the same cover as factory
Don't want some to steal the new ones
Any idea which ones would fit using the original covers ?
silverjeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 157
is it an infinity system?
mathjak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
I ran into a problem yesterday trying to install my 6.5 JL Audio C2-650x speakers. The trim ring on the speakers are to small to mount. The factory is a 6.5 but the plastic trim with the tabs are bigger than the diameter of my JL speakers. So now, I'm either adding a trim piece of wood and mounting mine to it. Don't want to return the speakers. I guess the kicker upgrades have the bigger trim ring.
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
igf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 48
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_B1R View Post
I ran into a problem yesterday trying to install my 6.5 JL Audio C2-650x speakers. The trim ring on the speakers are to small to mount. The factory is a 6.5 but the plastic trim with the tabs are bigger than the diameter of my JL speakers. So now, I'm either adding a trim piece of wood and mounting mine to it. Don't want to return the speakers. I guess the kicker upgrades have the bigger trim ring.
You can buy a plastic adapter bracket from crutchfield or amazon. Search for your speakers on crutchfield and you'll find the correct bracket. While you're at it, buy xtc speaker baffles to make a tight seal and avoid distortion (cut out the bottom)...and remember to polyfill.
igf101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
igf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 48
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjeep1 View Post
I need to find a speaker that fits and uses the same cover as factory
Don't want some to steal the new ones
Any idea which ones would fit using the original covers ?
I have Polk db 651s in the soundbar (or you can get the dxi 650s...newer version). Look on Amazon...Best Buy doesn't carry the "s" versions. They sound great.
igf101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Lynskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_B1R View Post
I ran into a problem yesterday trying to install my 6.5 JL Audio C2-650x speakers. The trim ring on the speakers are to small to mount. The factory is a 6.5 but the plastic trim with the tabs are bigger than the diameter of my JL speakers. So now, I'm either adding a trim piece of wood and mounting mine to it. Don't want to return the speakers. I guess the kicker upgrades have the bigger trim ring.
I have the exact same speakers in my sound bar and they went in perfectly? It was close but I got all 4 screws into solid plastic on the soundbar.
__________________
2012 Dozer JK Sahara
Lynskey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
unionjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Matthews, NC
Posts: 188
Tons of thread on here about speakers. Get the Kicker 77kick10. Plug and play.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------
“May you always have a Beer in your Hand, Toes in the Sand, and a Cheeseburger in Paradise!” -- Jimmy Buffett
unionjewel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Do the kickers fit with the original/factory covers?

Do the polk also fit with the factory covers?

Tough decision
silverjeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
igf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 48
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjeep1 View Post
Do the kickers fit with the original/factory covers?

Do the polk also fit with the factory covers?

Tough decision
I can speak for the Polks. Yes, the dxi 651s and db 650s fit with the original covers. But note the "s" models. The dxi 651/db 650 do not fit with the factory covers.
igf101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynskey

I have the exact same speakers in my sound bar and they went in perfectly? It was close but I got all 4 screws into solid plastic on the soundbar.
It sits right at the lip...also where the factory ones screw in there is a gap on all of them that would let air escape. If I tried using the metal clips from the jl's it'd be close even getting it mounted. Wish I had taken a pic. Its almost like the hole is bigger than it should have been. I looked on Crutchfield for the adapters may try those but the site states some 6 1/2 come out to be 6 3/4 and that will be to big...I'll give an update soon
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
unionjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Matthews, NC
Posts: 188
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------
“May you always have a Beer in your Hand, Toes in the Sand, and a Cheeseburger in Paradise!” -- Jimmy Buffett
unionjewel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
jlr551cfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by igf101

I can speak for the Polks. Yes, the dxi 651s and db 650s fit with the original covers. But note the "s" models. The dxi 651/db 650 do not fit with the factory covers.
+1 Polks fit well with the stock grilles... thats what ive got!
jlr551cfd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
What is the difference between the mopar ones for $84 and the Quadratec ones for $159?
__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Is the sound quality of the polks much better then the factory?
Will I here the difference ?
What's the difference between the two pairs of polks?

Do the kickers hAve more base then the Polk?

The Polk have more watts
silverjeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,977
I upgraded the factory speakers in both my 2008 Corvette and 2008 Tacoma to Polk db-series speakers. It was a huge improvement. It seems like no matter what quality OEM is, you can realize a big quality improvement from just the smallest upgrade in speakers.
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
igf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 48
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjeep1 View Post
Is the sound quality of the polks much better then the factory?
Will I here the difference ?
What's the difference between the two pairs of polks?

Do the kickers hAve more base then the Polk?

The Polk have more watts
With the Polk "s" versions, the tweeter is mounted shawllower. That being said, the speaker's rubber surround is smaller, which has some effect on bass response. You can do a quick google search...there's a side by side comparison showing the differences out there. The dxi are the newer version of the db...no real differences other than price.

Up front, I installed the Polk dxi 6500 component set. The sound quality is much better than the factory setup. I have the base stereo and kept it, so it doesn't put out enough power by itself to keep the speakers happy (but they still sound better than factory). I'm now powering the speakers with an Alpine ktp-445u amp. It's a nifty four-channel amp that provides 4x45 and fits in the dash.

If you're interested, I'm thinking about typing up a post about my install. Overall, I'm very happy with the sound and do not have plans to buy a sub...at least for now. (I was looking at the Kicker Hideaway).
igf101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by igf101 View Post
Up front, I installed the Polk dxi 6500 component set. The sound quality is much better than the factory setup. I have the base stereo and kept it, so it doesn't put out enough power by itself to keep the speakers happy (but they still sound better than factory). I'm now powering the speakers with an Alpine ktp-445u amp. It's a nifty four-channel amp that provides 4x45 and fits in the dash.

If you're interested, I'm thinking about typing up a post about my install. Overall, I'm very happy with the sound and do not have plans to buy a sub...at least for now. (I was looking at the Kicker Hideaway).
That's the exact amp I used in my Tacoma. The Alpine Power Pack was perfect for my needs. And, like you stated, fit right in the dash to left of my glove box. I plan to do the same setup in my Jeep.

I'd be interested to see your DIY guide if you do post it up.

For the front components, did you run the tweeters to replace the factory tweeters?
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
igf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 48
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post
That's the exact amp I used in my Tacoma. The Alpine Power Pack was perfect for my needs. And, like you stated, fit right in the dash to left of my glove box. I plan to do the same setup in my Jeep.

I'd be interested to see your DIY guide if you do post it up.

For the front components, did you run the tweeters to replace the factory tweeters?
Yes, I installed the Polk tweeters. You do have to dremmel out the tombstone a bit for them to fit, which seems scary, but it was my first time dremmeling and it looks stock.
igf101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Ya show me the some pics
silverjeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 572
should i even mention ohms?
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
igf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 48
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler2012 View Post
should i even mention ohms?
Good point. Silverjeep, do you have the base or Infinity stereo? JKWrangler, correct me if I'm wrong, but the base stereo is 4 ohm and the Infinity is 2.
igf101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 572
i'm not sure about the base.. i have the 2 ohm infinity. there are aftermarket 2 ohm availabilities... but not nearly as many as 4 ohm, and crutchfield stocks zero in 2 ohm. was just on the phone with the yesterday about this.

i run 4 ohm bostons in the sound bar, but i can't help but think that 2 ohm speakers would sound even better
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
rewbeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WI
Posts: 84
I have the Polls, they did not sound much better than the stock until I poly filled the sound bar. Now they sound great !!! Whatever you choose make sure you poly fill that sound bar !
rewbeez is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 233
I used the Infinity Reference 6502ix in soundbar and dash and IMHO sounds fantastic.
xjrguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Those infinities fit with the factory covers
silverjeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Lynskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 798
I was not worried about the air space around the speaker as 99% of my bass comes from the sub. I set-up the rears as rear fill for the most part.

But even so, the JL's fit in fairly nice. I guess you could use a small spacer to fully seal and have a good mounting surface. But you need something thin so the speaker covers can still fit.

In this pic, I took it before installing the 4th screw. Overall a good fit. I could have used butyl rope as a seal but for my set-up, I am not too worried about a tight fit.


__________________
2012 Dozer JK Sahara
Lynskey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC