Stuff for Off roading and Beach Trips - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 146
Stuff for Off roading and Beach Trips

I want to have everything I need for off road and for Beach driving trips. I'm also looking for stuff that I could use to protect the jeep when I bring offroading or to the beach. Basicly anything I could use to protect the carpet from getting too sandy at the beach or muddy when off roading. Suggestions there?

As far as what to bring this is my list of things I think I will need but I'm pretty sure it is incomplete:

Recovery Strap (30,000 pound rating, no metal hooks)
Small folding shovel
fire extinguisher (recommendations on this?)
Torex bits for hard top/door removal
Various tools (what tools would be most beneficial?)
Air pressure gauge maybe an air release tool
flash light
rags

What else should I bring so I don't get stuck or can help me get unstuck?

__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
chalex807 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
sinduda216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manasquan, Monmouth County, New Jersey
Posts: 123
Images: 3
a winch to get unstuck. for the carpet you will NEVER get all the sand out i'm a lifeguard in Jersey, the vacuum on a carpet wont be enough, so im getting rid of mine in the spring and rhino-lining everything where the carpet was, also i picked up the quadratec rubber floor mats couldnt be happier with the mud and snow i trek into my jeep they do a good job. fire extinguisher just a dry chem. ABC will do enough. for off roading at least an evap. canister skid plate will help

__________________
Jim-
2010 Natural Green Pearl 2dr JK 6spd. hard top

"No Hesitation"
sinduda216 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
^^^^ x2. Don't forget the sunscreen.. Seriously, if you're gonna play offroad, it's gonna get filthy inside.. everywhere. Not just the carpet... kinda like this..
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Kansas Coyote

WF Supporting Member
 
J.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Kansas
Posts: 575
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
^^^^ x2. Don't forget the sunscreen.. Seriously, if you're gonna play offroad, it's gonna get filthy inside.. everywhere. Not just the carpet... kinda like this..
Man! Jimbo would have a heart attack!
__________________
J.B.
2010 JK Sport S Pkg.
Black, Hardtop
6 Speed Manual
J.B. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Nevada
Posts: 1,259
Come alongs. More work but you can angle them different ways if you need to.
popstop785 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,824
Winch and sand anchor.
Waffleboards.
Hi-Lift and some training for it (I recommend Overland Experts)
X-Jack or other air jack device.
Good tires.
Leaf blower for cleaning sand after.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalex807 View Post
fire extinguisher (recommendations on this?)
This is the mount I use. Keeps it quickly and easily accessible.
JK Seat Mounted Fire Extinguisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalex807 View Post
Various tools (what tools would be most beneficial?)
I carry a pretty comprehensive set, but most commonly used are:
18mm, 19mm, 21mm combination wrenches
18mm, 19mm, 21mm sockets with socket wrench
T20, T30, T40 torx drivers
Torque wrench that goes to 140 ft/lbs
Multi-bit screwdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalex807 View Post
Air pressure gauge maybe an air release tool
Tire deflators and air compressor to air back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalex807 View Post
What else should I bring so I don't get stuck or can help me get unstuck?
A buddy (as in another Jeep) and a tow strap
and/or
A winch, Pull-Pal winch anchor (especially if you don't have a buddy), tow strap, tree hugger, snatch block, clevis shackles.
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
ilmjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 233
Send a message via Skype™ to ilmjumper
Water/coolant, maybe extra rad hoses as well...down here during the summer I see so many people that get over heated out on the beach, hot sand/100 degree weather/slow speeds are not your rad's friend. I take my carpet out during the beach months and put it back in during the winter.
Not a tool exactly but please please please pay attention to the high tide/low tide lines...atleast once a year someone gets stuck in the water cause they parked at low tide and didn't pay attention to the rising tide
ilmjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 21,457
I drive on the beach at Assateague Island all the time. I highly recommend deflators. I have the Smittybilt ones and they work great. You will also need a means of putting the air back in. I use the MV-50.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmjumper View Post
Water/coolant, maybe extra rad hoses as well...down here during the summer I see so many people that get over heated out on the beach, hot sand/100 degree weather/slow speeds are not your rad's friend. I take my carpet out during the beach months and put it back in during the winter.
Not a tool exactly but please please please pay attention to the high tide/low tide lines...atleast once a year someone gets stuck in the water cause they parked at low tide and didn't pay attention to the rising tide
Interesting, how much do the tides vary at wilmington? I hear there are two beaches you can get day passes at for beach driving. Which one is better to go to? I'd prefer the one with more chics of course!!
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
chalex807 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Reel Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
Good information thanks for sharing. Looking forward to cruising the beach this spring summer and will be sure to have most if not all the mentioned items here.
__________________
2009 Wrangler Unlimited 4x4
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2007 Parker 21SE
Reel Joy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalex807 View Post
Interesting, how much do the tides vary at wilmington? I hear there are two beaches you can get day passes at for beach driving. Which one is better to go to? I'd prefer the one with more chics of course!!
I might see you down there. I'm going for my first beach ride this spring. I've heard that Freeman park by Carolina Beach is more the party beach and Fort Fisher at the south end is more the fishing beach.

David
drowe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
ilmjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 233
Send a message via Skype™ to ilmjumper
Freeman is indeed the party beach, be prepared for super slow moving traffic, lots of drunk people and show up early if you expect to park near the water! Also way more expensive $20 per day/$100 for the year was last years price..not sure if the daily price went up but the yearly went up to $150 this year when only a few years ago it was free. Ft Fisher is more of fishing beach (if you do surf fishing, it's got some great holes) and you can ride for a longer time not having to crawl along, about $12 per day $60 per year i think.

I'm gonna guess on tide differences (not awesome with distances!) and say it's between 15-20 feet difference, more or less depending on the cycle of the moon. There's normally a pretty easy to spot difference between high tide ground and low tide ground if there's not a tide line (line of sea weed, shells, driftwood, trash ect) Just keep an eye on the water
ilmjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #14
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 21,457
Don't forget to check if the particular beach you are driving on has required equipment. Assateague Island is a National Park and has specific requirements for what you have to be equiped with. Park Rangers do patrol the beach and you are open to inspection at any time.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
mowbizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Salem, NH
Posts: 399
Send a message via Yahoo to mowbizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
^^^^ x2. Don't forget the sunscreen.. Seriously, if you're gonna play offroad, it's gonna get filthy inside.. everywhere. Not just the carpet... kinda like this..

Holy Moly...Your legs go all the way up to your....dashboard!
mowbizz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmjumper View Post
Freeman is indeed the party beach, be prepared for super slow moving traffic, lots of drunk people and show up early if you expect to park near the water! Also way more expensive $20 per day/$100 for the year was last years price..not sure if the daily price went up but the yearly went up to $150 this year when only a few years ago it was free. Ft Fisher is more of fishing beach (if you do surf fishing, it's got some great holes) and you can ride for a longer time not having to crawl along, about $12 per day $60 per year i think.

I'm gonna guess on tide differences (not awesome with distances!) and say it's between 15-20 feet difference, more or less depending on the cycle of the moon. There's normally a pretty easy to spot difference between high tide ground and low tide ground if there's not a tide line (line of sea weed, shells, driftwood, trash ect) Just keep an eye on the water
Well thanks for the info. Quick question though, it's ok to drink on the beach out there? Obviously not drinking and driving.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
chalex807 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
Holy Moly...Your legs go all the way up to your....dashboard!
Hey Mo! Yes. Yes they do....
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Dogzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
Holy Moly...Your legs go all the way up to your....dashboard!
And NICE legs they are!
Dogzilla is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
ilmjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 233
Send a message via Skype™ to ilmjumper
Can drink at Freeman park, just no bottles...get a ticket just for having them. Ft Fisher is a State Park so no drinking
ilmjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
captblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Woodbine, GA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
And NICE legs they are!
And, she looks good in mud ...
__________________
Bill

"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert A. Heinlein
captblack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
sinduda216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manasquan, Monmouth County, New Jersey
Posts: 123
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
I drive on the beach at Assateague Island all the time. I highly recommend deflators. I have the Smittybilt ones and they work great. You will also need a means of putting the air back in. I use the MV-50.
hows the MV-50 on the battery?
__________________
Jim-
2010 Natural Green Pearl 2dr JK 6spd. hard top

"No Hesitation"
sinduda216 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 21,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinduda216 View Post
hows the MV-50 on the battery?
It's completely a non-factor.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
sinduda216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manasquan, Monmouth County, New Jersey
Posts: 123
Images: 3
seems like a pretty good idea, found one for like 56 bucks, as long as it wont kill my battery in the process of refilling my tires

__________________
Jim-
2010 Natural Green Pearl 2dr JK 6spd. hard top

"No Hesitation"
sinduda216 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC