Surfboard on Soft Top/Topless? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Question Surfboard on Soft Top/Topless?

Hey guys. Anyone on here have a good way to carry a surfboard/surfboards on top of an unlimited w/ a soft top. I was thinking about hooking a strap to the little latch thing in the top center of the windshield and then the other strap to the roll bar on the side, and putting the other set of straps on the sound bar, but then I would only be able to do this w/ the top down/off. I don't want to have to hang it out the back because a lot of times I need to have people/cargo in the back. It'd be nice to be able to carry the surfboards, people, and cargo all while having the top up in case of rain. Anyone have a solution where you can put surfboards on top w/ the soft top up and down? Thanks for your help!

CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
scottrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 236
Images: 1
I've had good success with the soft racks that you can pick up from your local surf shop. They work with the top up or down.

I run one up on the windshield frame and the other over the sound bar. It works well and keeps wax off your top.

scottrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I've had good success with the soft racks that you can pick up from your local surf shop. They work with the top up or down.

I run one up on the windshield frame and the other over the sound bar. It works well and keeps wax off your top.
Where do you strap them? And are those the things that are one piece (the pad and the strap as on piece)? right now, what I was thinking about using, is my two pads that I put on a roof rack and my straps that I looped around the bar of the rack.
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
MCG
Jeeper
 
MCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tampa
Posts: 541
I ussualy use a regular sock for my bord or a travel bag and just attach to the roll bar with bungee cords, thats if I have people in the jeep other whise I just stick my boards on the rear seat.
I usually use a short 6'3" and a fish 6'6".
__________________
2000 Sahara
MCG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
VARedLeg82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Schofield Barracks, HI
Posts: 76
I'm gonna second the soft racks. I'm heading out in a few for an early day (8-10 on the North Shore today!! ), and I'll snap some pictures with it up there. They work great top down, and if you've got two boards up there you'll stay pretty dry even if it does rain (as it has here... every day... for almost a month.....)

On occasion I'll leave the uppers on my doors if it's a rainier day, just for good measure. The soft racks work even better with a bikini top on, since everything's flush with the roll bars.
__________________
kickin' it Hawaiian-style, topless year-round

yeah, it is another red wrangler....
VARedLeg82 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARedLeg82 View Post
I'm gonna second the soft racks. I'm heading out in a few for an early day (8-10 on the North Shore today!! ), and I'll snap some pictures with it up there. They work great top down, and if you've got two boards up there you'll stay pretty dry even if it does rain (as it has here... every day... for almost a month.....)

On occasion I'll leave the uppers on my doors if it's a rainier day, just for good measure. The soft racks work even better with a bikini top on, since everything's flush with the roll bars.
Pics would be awesome. Some showing your soft rack and how it's hooked on would be especially helpful. Thanks!
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
scottrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 236
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapptainObvious View Post
Where do you strap them? And are those the things that are one piece (the pad and the strap as on piece)? right now, what I was thinking about using, is my two pads that I put on a roof rack and my straps that I looped around the bar of the rack.
Mine is just like this one.

Amazon.com: FCS Premium DOUBLE SOFT Surfboard Car Racks: Sports & Outdoors

I route the front straps over the A pillar, between the door and windshield frame routing the strap along near the visors. Rear straps go over the soundbar or soft top bow and route between the top, rear corner of the door or if no back windows are in, just under the top... little hard to explain and I don't have any pics currently. I also use it to cushion my tandem kayak when I haul it to the beach though I don't tote that with the top up as it's too heavy.

edit: huh, I guess I can't post amazon links??

Do a search on amazon for "FCS Premium DOUBLE SOFT Surfboard Car Racks"
scottrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Mine is just like this one.

Amazon.com: FCS Premium DOUBLE SOFT Surfboard Car Racks: Sports & Outdoors

I route the front straps over the A pillar, between the door and windshield frame routing the strap along near the visors. Rear straps go over the soundbar or soft top bow and route between the top, rear corner of the door or if no back windows are in, just under the top... little hard to explain and I don't have any pics currently. I also use it to cushion my tandem kayak when I haul it to the beach though I don't tote that with the top up as it's too heavy.

edit: huh, I guess I can't post amazon links??

Do a search on amazon for "FCS Premium DOUBLE SOFT Surfboard Car Racks"
Thanks for the info. I can't see much from the pic. Is that meant to go on top of a car without a roof rack and straps around the whole roof of the car or are they meant to go on a hard rack?
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
scottrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 236
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapptainObvious View Post
Thanks for the info. I can't see much from the pic. Is that meant to go on top of a car without a roof rack and straps around the whole roof of the car or are they meant to go on a hard rack?
They are for cars without roof racks and hold two boards
scottrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Anyone able to post some pics of their surfboard(s) on their jeeps w/ and w/o the soft top on? Thanks
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 42
Here is my 9'4" longboard on our unlimited in St. Augustine last fall. I use the soft racks (Destination Surf) that I use when I travel. Works fine. I just route the straps around the sound bar and roll bar. I padded the windshield area with a towel. I want to get a Kongo Cage eventually for kayaks and bikes, and then the board goes on the Yakima Strap Thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1031091158.jpg
Views:	1804
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	18523  
Double Dawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 42
Oh yeah. The top was down, but works the same with the top up.
Double Dawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dawg View Post
Oh yeah. The top was down, but works the same with the top up.
So it doesn't mess up the metal bars of the soft top at all when you tighten it down?
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 42
Not on mine, because my soft racks have about a 4 inch wide pad that the board sits on. You have to take a look at the soft racks out there, but I'd guess they are all similar. Basically the pad sits on the bar, the strap goes through the vehicle and you strap it down. Then the remaining strap is used through the soft racks to hold the board down to the pad. Good system actually. I've carried two longboards together that way very securely.
Double Dawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
I feel like an idiot asking so many questions about this, I just don't wanna mess anything up when I do it (my soft top or board). Any chance you could post pics of the straps/how you rig it up? Thanks for putting up with my crap.
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 42
I will try to take some pics of the straps and send them later. Never dinged the board. Gets hot here in the south. My biggest problem is making sure not to get soft wax over everything. Not a big deal.
Double Dawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: League City (Houston) TX
Posts: 916
I would love to see some more detailed pics too double dog. I have a half hour trip to the beach...on the highway...think this system would work at highway speed?? Oh yeah...turn that board around double dog...ya got it backwards!!!!FINS FIRST!!!!
clear lake jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
hig4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 439
I leave the top up, throw the back seats down, unzip the back window, set the tail of the board on the arm rest between the seats, and bungee the nose to the spare tire.
__________________

.....____
/l ,[____],
l---L []lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)----)_)
http://honpol.blogspot.com/
08 JK Unlimited, soft top, 6 speed, 3.73 tow package, cruise, limited slip, 265/75-16s
hig4s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by hig4s View Post
I leave the top up, throw the back seats down, unzip the back window, set the tail of the board on the arm rest between the seats, and bungee the nose to the spare tire.
Yeah. I know I could do that, but I was also looking for a solution for when I have people/cargo in and wouldn't be able to do that. Preferably something that would work with the top up and down.
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
hig4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapptainObvious View Post
Yeah. I know I could do that, but I was also looking for a solution for when I have people/cargo in and wouldn't be able to do that. Preferably something that would work with the top up and down.
I actually carry quite a bit of cargo that way too, it helps that I have an Add-A-Trunk 82210313 - Add-A-Trunk for 2007-09 Wrangler (4 Door) | ShopJeepParts.Com

as far as people go, rarely carry people to the beach, usually just me my wife and a couple of dogs.
__________________

.....____
/l ,[____],
l---L []lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)----)_)
http://honpol.blogspot.com/
08 JK Unlimited, soft top, 6 speed, 3.73 tow package, cruise, limited slip, 265/75-16s
hig4s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 42
guys, sorry I have not responded to the additional requests for pictures. Need to make some close up and work/life standing in the way at the moment. Fixing to go to New Orleans with the old pop-up tonight, so might not be until next week before I can get anything better.
Double Dawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 42
Here is a picture of one of my soft racks. You can see that there are two sets of cam locks. One you use to secure the rack to the vehicle. In a regular car I just run it through with the door open and then close the door. Secure the strap through the cam lock and snug it down.

Once secured to the vehicle place your stick on the rack and run the strap over the board and secure the strap through the second cam lock. Simple as that.

I usually run the extra strap around the board and make sure that it doesn't slide around and then secure the strap well so it doesn't come loose while driving. You will figure out a system that works.

Anyway, hope that helps some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00117.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	18589  
Double Dawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 284
Do you have a link to where I could get these?
CapptainObvious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 42
Just google destination surf soft racks. All over the web. Try your local surf shop and keep a poor guy in business - should be able to order you something just like this. That's how I got mine. There are other good products, I have a Destination Surf travel double bag which is very nice. I do recommend their products, but there are other good ones too.

Double Dawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of soft top do I need? Help please :) GoodsOfLiveng TJ General Discussion Forum 4 04-05-2010 10:04 AM
Tight budget, but need new soft top TJSportGirl TJ General Discussion Forum 12 03-28-2010 02:16 PM
Looking for full soft doors 1995 YJ nccaddie Classifieds Archive 5 12-14-2009 06:39 PM
TSBs for 09 Wrangler JeepCan24 JK General Discussion Forum 5 11-23-2009 10:31 PM
Hard top to soft top parts?? gntjeep TJ Tech Forum 3 07-29-2009 09:36 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC