Synthetic vs Non-synthetic Motor Oil - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,019
We'll partially stone him with keystone ice.

__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
OP, I will try my best to answer your question and in a sincere way.
O.K., I use 5w20 Pennzoil Platimum. Do I think that it is the best oil available, no. Do I think that it is the worst oil available, no. It is competitively priced and will offer a quality lubercation under extreme temperatures, without leaving very little sludge, if any, while offering the Wranglers engines, a opportunity too achieve some longevity

Please take the above information with a grain of salt. It is in fact what I have chosen to use in my 3.6, but I am a 79 year old Coot with a very low IQ and I drink way to much Budweiser to be offering good sound advice!
You do know that Pennzoil Platinum IS FULL SYNTHETIC OIL don't you? Its their premium oil second to Pennzoil Ultra that's used in Ferrari's.

Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Sorry .. I'm not yelling, I made that BOLD so you can read it better.



.

__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20
I just run mobil 1 full synthetic. So many people rave on about royal purple and amsoil.... but I'm not going to pay that premium... nor am I going to run oil for 20k miles like amsoil prides itself on. I go 5k-6k between changes and check it every 1000 miles.
b-g-k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
My good man, 2012 calls for 5w30, 2013 calls for 5w20.
Where does this 10w-20 come into play? Maybe just a typo.........
Yep, just a typo while apparently being distracted yesterday.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
spurscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31
So what changed from 2012 to 2013... same engine, different recommended oil?
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic.
spurscar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbu View Post
RoadiJeff,

If you don't mind answering, what is the mileage or time interval for the oil changes?

Thanks ...
The way the free lifetime oil change program works where we bought it from is that they will change the oil and filter for free, up to 4x per year. They said that we MUST have those 4 changes done by them in order for the free program to continue the next year.

It's my wife's DD and she tends to average around 10,000 miles per year, meaning it looks like we'll have the oil changed every 2,500 miles. I know that's a bit of a waste to have it done that often but it's their rules. I figure on taking it in every 3 months, whether it has been 500 miles or 5,000 miles since the last visit.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
DJL2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The center of the universe, NC
Posts: 860
Spurscar - it's a MASSIVE conspiracy driven by RepublicanCommunistNaziAlienRobots designed to destroy your Jeep and replace it with a minivan!

Or, I hear it might be related to eeking out a little more fuel economy to help with CAFE standards. Actually, now that I think about it, where CAFE is concerned it IS a conspiracy.
DJL2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
spurscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31
Doubtful they'll go back and update the recommendation for the 2012s but thought that
was interesting that it was changed. Sounds like it's not that big of a deal regardless.
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic.
spurscar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #39
gsn
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 573
Ah, an oil thread...

Funny though. An RX-8 with a rotary engine that can rev up to 10K goes well with synth 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30 and even 10w-40.

The only reason a wrangler needs 5w-20 is for fuel economy or even possibly more, standards. You can run 10w-40 on it, and everything in the car will fail well before the engine, which if fails, will not be because of the oil. In high temp climates, 5w-20 may not be the best if the engine is used harshly. But chrysler couldn't get three flying birds as long as they meet emission standards. The same applies for synth vs conventional. The only noticeable difference is that probably, after 70,000 miles, a wrangler that was treated with conventional oil its entire life will have a bit more carbon deposits.
gsn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
I happen to use Mobil 1, in my Wrangler JK 3.6, but in the larger scheme, it still gets dirty and thin regardless of who's oil you run.
In the North, Oil Pan condensation is also a factor as water droplets form in your oil overnight in your garage; this will dilute lubricity.
So for me, changing it OFTEN is the key. Yes it costs more, but I figure good clean oil is the best insurance against engine/chain failure. (And controlling your torque through driving practices)
I have changed Mobil 1 in my old Saturn at 4K, and it was often barely still recognizable as 'oil'.
Almost water like, and black as tar. Dirt will STILL find it's way to your oil, regardless of type or brand. I think heat is a large factor too.
I never go past 3K before an oil change these days. Maybe slightly excessive, but my vehicle runs like a watch too....so far! (knock on wood)
The synthetics offer refining at consistent molecule size. It's not magic, and not really synthetic either. Just a bit better refining process control. Oil is STILL Oil.
Process quality makes a HUGE difference though! Smaller and consistent size molecules reduce friction better.
52Tele is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #41
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
You do know that Pennzoil Platinum IS FULL SYNTHETIC OIL don't you? Its their premium oil second to Pennzoil Ultra that's used in Ferrari's.

Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Sorry .. I'm not yelling, I made that BOLD so you can read it better.



.
Thank you my good man, for the BOLD!
Yes, my eye sight is failing and your thoughtfulness of Bold lettering is of a outstanding nature..............
I would really lean toward the Ultra, but it is just too expensive for this Old Dogger. Wait, let me think about it, yes, yes, if I could just back off on my Budweiser intake expense, and get a few more free handouts from Obama, then just maybe, Ultra will be in my future thinking! Obama, please help, I am in need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am also saving money, because I have switched my cell phone provider from Verizon to Mobile 1 and the additional volume from Mobile 1, also helps this O.D., because my hearing is diminishing on a daily basis.........., but maybe a DE waxing is in order??? O, WELL, Doctor LegitPoster say's that I have Dementia, my Psychiatrist say's just the opposite, which is Alzheimer's, so I just don't know who to believe, I guess that It is best too just go and indulge in a case of Budweiser and think about it..........I am just so mixed up
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #42
Jeeper
 
XtreemLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Mountians
Posts: 58
I haven't changed it yet but when I do I will use.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Reason???

I use it in my VW TDI and I am not going to keep more than one kind of oil around. Plus it taste great and is less filling...
__________________
2006 LJ, 35's and 4" Lift...
XtreemLee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
cannonballgsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 161
My 08 Jeep has 60,000 miles on it. I'm assuming that the previous owner didn't use synthetic (and dealer oil change when I bought it), so I decided to switch over to Mobil 1. Since walmart didn't have regular Mobile 1 in the 5 quart jug, I got the extended performance. It came out cheaper than buying 6 quarts of reg Mobil 1.

Sucks that I'm using a 15,000 mile oil for approximately 2,000 miles then changing it...
cannonballgsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtreemLee View Post
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Reason???

I use it in my VW TDI and I am not going to keep more than one kind of oil around. Plus it taste great and is less filling...
If it tastes great and is less filling, then goooooooooo for it!!!
The Pennzoil Platinum that I use, gives me heartburn and leaves me with a really bad taste, but that MOBILE 1 cell phone service is great!!!!
One out of two ain't bad.............
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu View Post
My 08 Jeep has 60,000 miles on it. I'm assuming that the previous owner didn't use synthetic (and dealer oil change when I bought it), so I decided to switch over to Mobil 1. Since walmart didn't have regular Mobile 1 in the 5 quart jug, I got the extended performance. It came out cheaper than buying 6 quarts of reg Mobil 1.

Sucks that I'm using a 15,000 mile oil for approximately 2,000 miles then changing it...
Why change it?
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
I like this explanation. You should watch the reply video also as it might answer some of the questions you will have.

Dingus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #47
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Thank you my good man, for the BOLD!
Yes, my eye sight is failing and your thoughtfulness of Bold lettering is of a outstanding nature..............
I would really lean toward the Ultra, but it is just too expensive for this Old Dogger. Wait, let me think about it, yes, yes, if I could just back off on my Budweiser intake expense, and get a few more free handouts from Obama, then just maybe, Ultra will be in my future thinking! Obama, please help, I am in need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am also saving money, because I have switched my cell phone provider from Verizon to Mobile 1 and the additional volume from Mobile 1, also helps this O.D., because my hearing is diminishing on a daily basis.........., but maybe a DE waxing is in order??? O, WELL, Doctor LegitPoster say's that I have Dementia, my Psychiatrist say's just the opposite, which is Alzheimer's, so I just don't know who to believe, I guess that It is best too just go and indulge in a case of Budweiser and think about it..........I am just so mixed up

Well now I'm really confused. In all your prior posts, I thought you were completely against synthetics.. but now see you are a convert.

Am I mistaken? Did someone influence your decision to change? Or did you simply grab the wrong oil off the shelf?



.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
Well now I'm really confused. In all your prior posts, I thought you were completely against synthetics.. but now see you are a convert.

Am I mistaken? Did someone influence your decision to change? Or did you simply grab the wrong oil off the shelf?



.
I have heard many on this Forum say, just go buy what is on sale, so yes I am guilty of making another serious mistake, but that is very common for me!
Each and every day now, when I start up my 3.6, well I am expecting it to lock up, because of my serious stupidity, I believe that it is called CHANGE. If I am not mistaken, and I probably am, well that word was used repeatedly in our last two elections. And just think how great everything has turned out. So I felt that I should just jump on board and also try CHANGE!
I guess that the biggest influencer was Obama...........
Hopefully, you are no longer confused!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
bcj366's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 106
Little off topic here but anyone have a suggestion on a good oil filter for the 3.6? I usually prefer K&N but they don't seem to make one for us yet
bcj366 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
DFW6ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FloMo
Posts: 847
Lots of Wix and Mopar users here for the 3.6 cartridge filters
__________________
2012 Black JKUR...stock for now
DFW6ER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
Miser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ, and cold Alaska
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Alzheimer's, I guess that It is best too just go and indulge in a case of Budweiser and think about it..........I am just so mixed up
Old Dogger, if you keep drinking all of that Budweiser, then maybe it will cure your Alzheimer's, what do you think???
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
Miser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ, and cold Alaska
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj366 View Post
Little off topic here but anyone have a suggestion on a good oil filter for the 3.6? I usually prefer K&N but they don't seem to make one for us yet
I just purchase the Mopar from my Dealer at a cost of $5.70 per filter.
It is as good as any and the pricing is competitive!
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #53
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,130
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
Old Dogger, if you keep drinking all of that Budweiser, then maybe it will cure your Alzheimer's, what do you think???
The Budweiser caused his forgetfulness to start.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
cannonballgsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post
Why change it?
Per Mobil 1's website, they recommend changing the oil at a shorter interval for the first couple of changes when switching from conventional oil. Synthetics could loosen up sludge that has built up and it needs to be changed quicker.

I'm just following Mobil's recommendations.
cannonballgsu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
The Budweiser caused his forgetfulness to start.
SP, it is as always good to hear from you!
Your kind and helpful comments are always welcomed, or are they?
It is hopeful, that you are enjoying the summer heat, wherever you are, because the heat is on.......... Yes, Yes, the game is this evening and James is going down. The Spurs are sharp and very dangerous!
Yes, goooooooooo Spurs gooooooooooo

On A serious note, did you check you Power Steering lines too transmission cooler lines for fretting? This is only applicable if you have a automatic as I do and is a 2012, or 2013. Mine has a rubber sleeve installed from the factory and still has about a 1/4 inch of clearance!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #56
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,130
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
SP, it is as always good to hear from you!
Your kind and helpful comments are always welcomed, or are they?
It is hopeful, that you are enjoying the summer heat, wherever you are, because the heat is on.......... Yes, Yes, the game is this evening and James is going down. The Spurs are sharp and very dangerous!
Yes, goooooooooo Spurs gooooooooooo

On A serious note, did you check you Power Steering lines too transmission cooler lines for fretting? This is only applicable if you have a automatic as I do and is a 2012, or 2013. Mine has a rubber sleeve installed from the factory and still has about a 1/4 inch of clearance!
The best lie is a believable lie. When you say it's good to hear from me, that's not a believable lie. If you don't wish for me to joke with you, just say the word. I will gladly oblige your request and ignore you.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
The best lie is a believable lie. When you say it's good to hear from me, that's not a believable lie. If you don't wish for me to joke with you, just say the word. I will gladly oblige your request and ignore you.
SilverSport, this is never personnel, but rather just to have some fun!
At my age life is too short to not have some fun, by mixing it up a little bit.
If I offended you in any way, or even thought that you would take me seriously, then I am sorry for the misconception and I apologize!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu View Post
Per Mobil 1's website, they recommend changing the oil at a shorter interval for the first couple of changes when switching from conventional oil. Synthetics could loosen up sludge that has built up and it needs to be changed quicker.

I'm just following Mobil's recommendations.
They also suggest flooring it at every stoplight, too, after every fill-up to dislodge any unburnt fuel.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #59
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
SilverSport, this is never personnel, but rather just to have some fun!
At my age life is too short to not have some fun, by mixing it up a little bit.
If I offended you in any way, or even thought that you would take me seriously, then I am sorry for the misconception and I apologize!
Misconception is a thing I have hoped for frequently after a night of heavy drinking.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post
Misconception is a thing I have hoped for frequently after a night of heavy drinking.
X2, That Budweiser really does a number on me. Maybe that is why my head is always hurting...........

Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC