Synthetic vs Non-synthetic Motor Oil - Page 6 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #151
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
This thread is both great and hilarious!
It reminds me of far left Liberals and far right Conservatives. Each thinks that the others oil is no good and just doesn't work, or at least is inferior.
Is it just possible in today's world that they both are of some quality???
As for BEER, well least everybody agrees that Coors Light is the best of the best!
I never said conventional oil isn't any good. There are quality conventional oils out there. But synthetic oil has advantages conventional oil doesn't.

Ans Coors Light is not the best!

__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #152
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
I never said conventional oil isn't any good. There are quality conventional oils out there. But synthetic oil has advantages conventional oil doesn't.

Ans Coors Light is not the best!
First of all I didn't single you out as saying, or promoting either Conventional, or Synthetic oil in this Thread! I may have missed one of your oil preference Posts, but if I did, I don't recall it.
But, thank you for responding anyway! It is also nice to see that you have stated that there are some quality Conventional oils out their. I also feel that there are quality oils available in both Conventional, and Synthetic.

As for Coors Light, well if everybody liked it, then there wouldn't be any left for me.

Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #153
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post

First of all I didn't single you out as saying, or promoting either Conventional, or Synthetic oil in this Thread! I may have missed one of your oil preference Posts, but if I did, I don't recall it.
But, thank you for responding anyway! It is also nice to see that you have stated that there are some quality Conventional oils out their. I also feel that there are quality oils available in both Conventional, and Synthetic.

As for Coors Light, well if everybody liked it, then there wouldn't be any left for me.
I can't drink coors light. Gives me headaches and makes my stomach do flips lol the next morning is a s**t show. Literally lmao
tab22092 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #154
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post
I can't drink coors light. Gives me headaches and makes my stomach do flips lol the next morning is a s**t show. Literally lmao
Now you got me thinking! That's probably why my Gastro Doctor has me on Carafate for my stomach and Levison for my Colon.
Maybe I should try Budweiser like the OD drinks, but then again, he has Alzheimer's and maybe that is from that ROT GUT Beer that he drinks. I am probably better off to cross over and stay with Ice Tea. Ice Tea, Boy have I ever become a wimp!
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #155
Jeeper
 
TJeepman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 669
^ ............................................. ^
__________________
2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms
TJeepman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #156
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Synthetic orange kool-aid today, all day.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #157
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
How can you guys stand Budweiser beer? Yuck!

Coors Light, Kirin Light, Heineken or Corona..

Let the beer wars begin ...

This oil thread has run its course.



Bud rules...I have tried them all, can buy whatever I please, and Bud is the best.

Open a Heineken and smell it....it reminds me of a dirty navel.....an innie, a very deep innie, and then triple filtered through an old sweat sock....
BLK2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #158
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK2012 View Post
Bud rules...I have tried them all, can buy whatever I please, and Bud is the best.

Open a Heineken and smell it....it reminds me of a dirty navel.....an innie, a very deep innie, and then triple filtered through an old sweat sock....
Freaking hilarious but I don't want to know how you determined this.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #159
Jeeper
 
Rock_Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 37
I can tell you I just converted my differentials and transmission (still have to do transfer case), to synthetic. I have seen an increase in MPG. Maybe about 1 mpg improvement, it's not a lot and I will keep checking to be sure. But any improvement is good.
Rock_Crusher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #160
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK2012 View Post
Bud rules...I have tried them all, can buy whatever I please, and Bud is the best.

Open a Heineken and smell it....it reminds me of a dirty navel.....an innie, a very deep innie, and then triple filtered through an old sweat sock....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Freaking hilarious but I don't want to know how you determined this.
Yes BLK2012 ... tell us your experiences with dirty navels and old sweat socks.



.
__________________
:: 2013 Wrangler JKUR 10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 2009 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #161
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK2012 View Post
Bud rules...I have tried them all, can buy whatever I please, and Bud is the best.

Open a Heineken and smell it....it reminds me of a dirty navel.....an innie, a very deep innie, and then triple filtered through an old sweat sock....
Yes, Yes, another BUD MAN and for that you deserve a hand.......
It is also great to see that you are a sampler of all kinds, HUUUUUUUM and also believe in the filtering process for purity, Well enough said about that one, before Admin locks the thread!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #162
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
Maybe I should try Budweiser like the OD drinks.
You stay away from my Budweiser, because it is reserved for real men like me.............
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #163
Jeeper
 
TJeepman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Crusher View Post
I can tell you I just converted my differentials and transmission (still have to do transfer case), to synthetic. I have seen an increase in MPG. Maybe about 1 mpg improvement, it's not a lot and I will keep checking to be sure. But any improvement is good.
Wasn't your transmission fluid synthetic already?
__________________
2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms
TJeepman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #164
Jeeper
 
Rock_Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 37
I really couldn't tell you. Not sure what was in there from the factory.
Rock_Crusher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #165
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeepman View Post
Wasn't your transmission fluid synthetic already?
Yes, synthetic is standard from the factory!
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #166
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
Yes, synthetic is standard from the factory!
Automatic has ATF+4 which is synthetic. Manual comes with conventional.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #167
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Crusher View Post
I can tell you I just converted my differentials and transmission (still have to do transfer case), to synthetic. I have seen an increase in MPG. Maybe about 1 mpg improvement, it's not a lot and I will keep checking to be sure. But any improvement is good.
Wishful thinking, placebo affect................
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #168
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Wishful thinking, placebo affect................
Why?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #169
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Why?
No way to quantify, but a wild a-s guess...............
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #170
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
No way to quantify, but a wild a-s guess...............

Old Dogger is just pissed the budweiser baby he's carrying shaves off a couple mpgs, fact.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #171
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ
Posts: 972
The auto Industry is under tremendous pressure from the Fed's, and is mandated for them to achieve gas mileage improvements, certain target numbers by certain dates "CAFE".
If there was any validity to improve MPG by using synthetics in the gear boxes and engine, then Chrysler would already have jumped on the band wagon.
But as of current, subject to change, that is not what the Wrangler are coming off of the line with, so that say's it all!
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #172
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
raythom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Las Vegas
Posts: 673
There is only one reason that I use synthetic and is related to life span. Synthetic has been proven to last longer which allows me to be comfortable with changing oil based on manufacturers recommendation.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Altitude - Deep Cherry Red
Ace Rock Rails
Cobra 75 with Firestick
3.5 Rubicon Express Standard Lift with Bilstien 5100
Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R/18 on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers
raythom3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #173
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post
Old Dogger is just pissed the budweiser baby he's carrying shaves off a couple mpgs, fact.
No not pis-ed, but very happy!
The spurs were sharp and cut James down to size last night, YA, YA,
I picked up a case of Budweiser today and am getting ready to indulge!

It's time for another oil war, YES, YES, I LOVE IT, let's do it.........
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #174
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
The auto Industry is under tremendous pressure from the Fed's, and is mandated for them to achieve gas mileage improvements, certain target numbers by certain dates "CAFE".
If there was any validity to improve MPG by using synthetics in the gear boxes and engine, then Chrysler would already have jumped on the band wagon.
But as of current, subject to change, that is not what the Wrangler are coming off of the line with, so that say's it all!
Then perhaps you can explain why Chevy and Ford use synthetic as the factory fill for the diffs on their pickups? If I don't believe in something does this mean the benefits don't exist?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #175
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post

Then perhaps you can explain why Chevy and Ford use synthetic as the factory fill for the diffs on their pickups? If I don't believe in something does this mean the benefits don't exist?
I can tell you my front diff exploded on my 05 silverado ss lol granted i did like to hear her scream at me when i dropped the pedal to the floor
tab22092 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #176
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post
I can tell you my front diff exploded on my 05 silverado ss lol granted i did like to hear her scream at me when i dropped the pedal to the floor
Blame it on the synthetic. LOL
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #177
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Then perhaps you can explain why Chevy and Ford use synthetic as the factory fill for the diffs on their pickups? If I don't believe in something does this mean the benefits don't exist?
As to why Chevy and Ford use synthetics: Since I don't work for them, or represent them in any way, then any answer that I would give you would come from no substance and or validity. I would suggest that question be addressed directly to Chevy And Ford.

Does this mean that the benefits don't exist: I don't know of anybody, me included that can tell you that because I or somebody don't believe or agree in something, that a benefit in using it doesn't exist. But also weighed in the equation needs to be proof by somebody, or a way to measure/substantiate a issue to make it clear and valid to everybody.
Just making a statement without something tangible to support it, leaves a lot to be desired!!!
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #178
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post

Blame it on the synthetic. LOL
That damn chevy synthetic cool aid lmao
tab22092 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #179
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
As to why Chevy and Ford use synthetics: Since I don't work for them, or represent them in any way, then any answer that I would give you would come from no substance and or validity. I would suggest that question be addressed directly to Chevy And Ford.

Does this mean that the benefits don't exist: I don't know of anybody, me included that can tell you that because I or somebody don't believe or agree in something, that a benefit in using it doesn't exist. But also weighed in the equation needs to be proof by somebody, or a way to measure/substantiate a issue to make it clear and valid to everybody.
Just making a statement without something tangible to support it, leaves a lot to be desired!!!
I simply asked because in an earlier post you stated if their was any validity in improving MPG by using synthetics, Chrysler would have jumped on the band wagon. Was that a statement without tangible proof to support it?

I do know GM did a study about a decade ago using synthetic gear lube in the rear diffs of 2WD pickups and netted a 5% increase in MPG. 5% of 20 MPG would be a 1 MPG increase. Synthetic gear lube has a lower pour point than conventional gear lube. In cold weather I wouldn't be at all surprised if this resulted in a slight increase in MPG compared to conventional due to less drag from thick. I like to think common sense will sometimes serve to validate an idea without concrete proof always being required.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #180
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
. I like to think common sense will sometimes serve to validate an idea without concrete proof always being required.
Agree, but common sense is in the eyes of the beholder!
What is common sense to one may not be to another!
Some of us are just more gullible to statements without proof than others.
That doesn't make us bad, or good, but rather just different!

Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC