Teraflex HD Tire Carrier - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
foxsat71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 499
Teraflex HD Tire Carrier

Anyone have any problems with the tire carrier? I heard the tire portion breaks off???

foxsat71 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 124
great i just ordered one this morning ..

BIOHAZARDCYCLES is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
AverageJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,392
Images: 1
yep, happens on 100% of them.


There are plenty of threads about the carrier lately, havent seen that except one persons.
__________________
2013 Moab
"Insert mod list here."
My Average JK Build Thread
My Jeep Profile
AverageJK is online now   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
foxsat71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 499
Thanks AverageJK. I was contemplating buying one. I'll research it more.
foxsat71 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Vin
Jeeper
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,487
Anyone have the link to the one that broke off? I find it hard to believe.
Vin is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Sponsoring Vendor
 
TeraFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 645
We had a few instances where one of the portions did break because the tire carrier was not properly adjusted. We have since added some gusseting to the part and are providing them free of charge to anyone that has the old style and is concerned about it. Just give us a call at the shop if you want to swap it out.
TeraFlex is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
J33P4M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 151
I just took delivery of my Teraflex HD carrier from Northridge 4x4. How can I tell if it is the "new" design?
J33P4M3 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
brighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
We had a few instances where one of the portions did break because the tire carrier was not properly adjusted. We have since added some gusseting to the part and are providing them free of charge to anyone that has the old style and is concerned about it. Just give us a call at the shop if you want to swap it out.
Is this the tire mount only, not the hinge? I'm using the stock mount with the Tereflex hinge, I'm assuming the hinge itself was not the issue based on what previously posted.
__________________
'10 JKU Mango Tango 6sp
brighton is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Sponsoring Vendor
 
TeraFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJK View Post
yep, happens on 100% of them.


There are plenty of threads about the carrier lately, havent seen that except one persons.
To our knowledge this has only happened on a few Jeeps. We have guys running the stock style with 37's, and beadlocks, here that have not had a problem. Can you point me to where you saw all of them are breaking or are you just slandering?

Brighton the few that did break were just the tire mount plate, not even the mount.

We take pride in our products and take product failures very seriously. If we see even the smallest of issues appear we take action to fix them. In the case of the mount breaking it has been less than 1% of them sold that have failed and were reported to us. There is a reason we offer a lifetime warranty on most of our products and a 1 year warranty on our bushings. We design our stuff with abuse in mind and try to account for all situations, sometimes we get it wrong and we admit when we do. But we never leave the customer out to dry.
TeraFlex is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,247
Yea .... I've only seen one report of the TF carrier breaking. This can happen with any product and If there's one company to make things right it's Teraflex.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Kennyksu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
This can happen with any product and If there's one company to make things right it's Teraflex.
I second that. I put their hinge and tire carrier on last week and this thing feels STOUT. I'm running 35s right now and will stop up to 37s. I misaligned a stud and damaged it during installation through my own fault. When I called Teraflex to see if I could buy a replacement from them they shipped me out a couple at no charge, allowing me to finish the install the same week. I took it up a pass last weekend and it doesn't rattle, shake, or make any noise (that's with the top off AND their high lift mount installed). Stuff happens, but TF seems to treat the customer right.
__________________
Kenny
Kennyksu is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJK View Post
yep, happens on 100% of them.
Wow, way to overreact and drag a reputable company through the mud without a single piece of credible evidence.

I personally have the hinge and tire carrier. Both are incredibly solid pieces. I have had 0 issues with either (there goes your 100% estimate).
__________________
-Lou
'12 JK Rubicon
Matador is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
County98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 530
Pretty sure he was making a joke.

I have the full setup and love it. I've only seen pictures of one cracked and looks like it was an installation issue. Looked like the weight of the tire was free floating instead of snugged up.

There's always gonna be a freak mishap here and there, but I certainly dont foresee any issues with mine.

I run 33's and a tailgate table.
__________________
Cheers!
-USAF Retired

2013 CG Rubi, AEV Hood, AEV 2.5", ACE Sliders, Method Wheels, Rockhard Skid, Teraflex Hinge
County98 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
AverageJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,392
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post

Wow, way to overreact and drag a reputable company through the mud without a single piece of credible evidence.

I personally have the hinge and tire carrier. Both are incredibly solid pieces. I have had 0 issues with either (there goes your 100% estimate).
Way to miss a joke followed up by me saying I've only seen it on one person's.
__________________
2013 Moab
"Insert mod list here."
My Average JK Build Thread
My Jeep Profile
AverageJK is online now   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
brighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJK View Post
Way to miss a joke followed up by me saying I've only seen it on one person's.
Unfortunately, jokes don't always translate well over the interweb. I actually did a double-take myself. Although I'm not a huge fan of smilies, this was probably a case where one of these would have prevented the reaction from some.

I run with a 35 on the TF HD hinge and love it. I'll be getting the tire mount at some point, but the hinge has been fantastic and everything I'd hoped - well-engineered and solidly constructed yet light weight.
__________________
'10 JKU Mango Tango 6sp
brighton is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJK View Post
Way to miss a joke followed up by me saying I've only seen it on one person's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton View Post
Unfortunately, jokes don't always translate well over the interweb. I actually did a double-take myself. Although I'm not a huge fan of smilies, this was probably a case where one of these would have prevented the reaction from some.

I run with a 35 on the TF HD hinge and love it. I'll be getting the tire mount at some point, but the hinge has been fantastic and everything I'd hoped - well-engineered and solidly constructed yet light weight.
Yeah, throw up some or just "JK". Believe it or not there are some over exaggerating complainers on these internets.
__________________
-Lou
'12 JK Rubicon
Matador is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
BostonStrong77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 449
Glad I kept reading to see that Teraflex is a good brand. Was just about to place an order! Does anyone know if the have a WF discount?
BostonStrong77 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,064
Best price if found is $600 shipped. Just saw a post on here of a guy selling his. Month old, $600 or best offer.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
kEat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 428
Mine sits cockeyed, and I'm not really sure why. The passenger side of the tire sits closer to the tailgate than the other side (this can clearly be seen by how much more squashed the bumpstop is). I was told by Teraflex that my setup is correct... So look out for that, I guess.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the tire carrier alone does anything to protect the integrity of the spot welds. I'm sure the carrier itself can support a heavier tire than the cheapo OEM carrier, but it's still attached to the tailgate in the same exact holes and it's all being supported by the tailgate. The description claims to spread the load out to more mounting points... But it's the same mounting points. Unless of course this description is a copy/paste from the hinge, I don't see how it works.

Also, it wobbles like crazy when I shut the tailgate. It makes me nervous seeing it shake that much. I can only assume this is because the tire doesn't sit exactly center with the tire mount (slightly above it, and even hire if you have a larger tire), so the inertia keeps the top of the tire moving backwards. This may not be a problem, I'm not sure how Teraflex tests their products, but like I said it just makes me nervous.

So that's my 2 cents. I don't like the terrible wobble, and I don't like their "that's normal" answer to my cockeyed seating issue. I'm kind of wishing I went with the OR-FAB carrier, but I'm also kind of weighing my options of getting the hinge for it as well. Maybe it'll cure my ailments, maybe it wont. I'm just unimpressed at the moment and don't know if I want to risk that much money and continue to have the same seating issue.
__________________
2011 Detonator Yellow JK | RK 2.5" Max Travel | 15" MB TKO | 33" Falken Rocky Mountain | 4.56 | Truetrac Rear LSD | Teraflex HD Tire Carrier | AIRAID Intake | Magnaflow Exhaust | ACE Midwidth Front Bumper | ACE Rear Bumper | ACE Rock Sliders | Polk DXi650s | Polk db1001 | JL Audio Stealthbox | JL Audio JX500 | JVC KWR800BT
kEat is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
photostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 163
just out of curiosity, what is the stock carrier rated for? Can it handle a 35" tire?
photostu is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
County98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kEat View Post
Mine sits cockeyed, and I'm not really sure why. The passenger side of the tire sits closer to the tailgate than the other side (this can clearly be seen by how much more squashed the bumpstop is). I was told by Teraflex that my setup is correct... So look out for that, I guess.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the tire carrier alone does anything to protect the integrity of the spot welds. I'm sure the carrier itself can support a heavier tire than the cheapo OEM carrier, but it's still attached to the tailgate in the same exact holes and it's all being supported by the tailgate. The description claims to spread the load out to more mounting points... But it's the same mounting points. Unless of course this description is a copy/paste from the hinge, I don't see how it works.

Also, it wobbles like crazy when I shut the tailgate. It makes me nervous seeing it shake that much. I can only assume this is because the tire doesn't sit exactly center with the tire mount (slightly above it, and even hire if you have a larger tire), so the inertia keeps the top of the tire moving backwards. This may not be a problem, I'm not sure how Teraflex tests their products, but like I said it just makes me nervous.

So that's my 2 cents. I don't like the terrible wobble, and I don't like their "that's normal" answer to my cockeyed seating issue. I'm kind of wishing I went with the OR-FAB carrier, but I'm also kind of weighing my options of getting the hinge for it as well. Maybe it'll cure my ailments, maybe it wont. I'm just unimpressed at the moment and don't know if I want to risk that much money and continue to have the same seating issue.
I think the carrier itself would just give adjustable height and is more heavy duty than stock. It's still bolted to flimsy tailgate and stock hinges? The hinge seems rock solid and takes all the weight of tire/carrier/tailgate/table.

Just my. 02. I have both and seems very sturdy. I also have no wobble, but its very new...
__________________
Cheers!
-USAF Retired

2013 CG Rubi, AEV Hood, AEV 2.5", ACE Sliders, Method Wheels, Rockhard Skid, Teraflex Hinge
County98 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kEat View Post
Mine sits cockeyed, and I'm not really sure why. The passenger side of the tire sits closer to the tailgate than the other side (this can clearly be seen by how much more squashed the bumpstop is). I was told by Teraflex that my setup is correct... So look out for that, I guess.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the tire carrier alone does anything to protect the integrity of the spot welds. I'm sure the carrier itself can support a heavier tire than the cheapo OEM carrier, but it's still attached to the tailgate in the same exact holes and it's all being supported by the tailgate. The description claims to spread the load out to more mounting points... But it's the same mounting points. Unless of course this description is a copy/paste from the hinge, I don't see how it works.

Also, it wobbles like crazy when I shut the tailgate. It makes me nervous seeing it shake that much. I can only assume this is because the tire doesn't sit exactly center with the tire mount (slightly above it, and even hire if you have a larger tire), so the inertia keeps the top of the tire moving backwards. This may not be a problem, I'm not sure how Teraflex tests their products, but like I said it just makes me nervous.

So that's my 2 cents. I don't like the terrible wobble, and I don't like their "that's normal" answer to my cockeyed seating issue. I'm kind of wishing I went with the OR-FAB carrier, but I'm also kind of weighing my options of getting the hinge for it as well. Maybe it'll cure my ailments, maybe it wont. I'm just unimpressed at the moment and don't know if I want to risk that much money and continue to have the same seating issue.
The tire carrier itself is mainly designed to move the tire up and into the body If your wheels are running a lower offset. The side advantage is that its made of stronger aluminum and is a beefier set up compared to the stock tire carrier. It won't necessarily help with the prevention of spot welds popping when your running a heavier tire.
__________________
-Lou
'12 JK Rubicon
Matador is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
kEat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by County98 View Post
I think the carrier itself would just give adjustable height and is more heavy duty than stock. It's still bolted to flimsy tailgate and stock hinges? The hinge seems rock solid and takes all the weight of tire/carrier/tailgate/table.

Just my. 02. I have both and seems very sturdy. I also have no wobble, but its very new...
Yeah that's what I expected as well. It's definitely a just more rugged carrier, and it tucks my tire in nice and close to the tailgate with the lower offset. It's just the way they describe it is sort of misleading, saying it takes the load off the tailgate by spreading the mounting points out, when in reality it's the same exact load at the same exact points. The load only gets spread out if you buy the hinge as well.

But nonetheless my still sits at an awkward angle and shakes like hell. And I didn't buy it for to save my tailgate, I wasn't worried about that with a 33" tire.
__________________
2011 Detonator Yellow JK | RK 2.5" Max Travel | 15" MB TKO | 33" Falken Rocky Mountain | 4.56 | Truetrac Rear LSD | Teraflex HD Tire Carrier | AIRAID Intake | Magnaflow Exhaust | ACE Midwidth Front Bumper | ACE Rear Bumper | ACE Rock Sliders | Polk DXi650s | Polk db1001 | JL Audio Stealthbox | JL Audio JX500 | JVC KWR800BT
kEat is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
Sponsoring Vendor
 
TeraFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 645
You guys are correct. If you are running just the tire carrier portion and not the hinge portion the tail gate is still carrying the load. I see where you mean about the description on the website under the tab. That does look like a paste from the whole carrier kit and I'll let the website guys know it's in the wrong place and they can hopefully get it changed.
TeraFlex is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
brighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 976
Maybe this is just semantics, but so everyone is speaking the same language, I think of the individual kits as follows:

1. HD Hinged Carrier
2. Adjustable Tire Mounting Kit

Put them together, and you have the HD Hinged Carrier and Adjustable Tire Mounting Kit. These links are from Q-tec because they're easier to link to, but they are basically the same as Teraflex's descriptions.

It's the Hinged Carrier that spreads the load, the Adjustable Tire Mounting kit adjusts the height and how close the spare sits against the tailgate. The stock tire mount can be used with the Hinged Carrier, but with the caveats that the stock mount is probably not as strong as Teraflex's and can't be raised or adjusted closer to the tailgate.

I agree the description of the Adjustable Tire Mounting kit is misleading as it looks like a copy and paste from the HD Hinged Carrier kit.
__________________
'10 JKU Mango Tango 6sp
brighton is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
KurtVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 437
I installed my hd carrier back in February. No issues, no concerns. I have little doubt that it is the sturdiest part of my jeep!
KurtVW is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #27
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,064
Sorta off-topic but since we're all here....

How much does this thing weigh? It's aluminum so I assume its pretty light?
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
Sponsoring Vendor
 
TeraFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 645
43Lbs for the whole kit.
TeraFlex is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
43Lbs for the whole kit.
Thanks.

Planning to buy. Just working on finding best deal. People keep offering to price match but no one wants to step up and give me the lowest price period. LOL
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
AverageJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,392
Images: 1
I think you are safe with $650 shipped, seems to be the standard price lately.

__________________
2013 Moab
"Insert mod list here."
My Average JK Build Thread
My Jeep Profile
AverageJK is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC