Teraflex Leveling kit or Budget Boost - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 23
Teraflex Leveling kit or Budget Boost

Hi Everyone, I just got a 2012 JKU Altitude the other day. I eventually want to put 33's on my JKU but that's once my tires need to be replaced.

Right now i'm between a 2" Teraflex Leveling kit and a 2.5" budget boost without shocks, I do occasionally go off roading but nothing insane, my JKU is also my every day vehicle. Just wanted to know peoples opinion of which one they liked.

Also if I go with the BB should i invest the extra money and get the shock adapters?

Thanks in advance!!!

Dashyl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
I went the leveling kit route and wasn't happy with it. I may just had a bad experience but wasn't happy with it at all. Of course I had 19/60 coils also so I was a little higher then just on a set of say 15/54's. Mine had a popping noise on hard turns and I just didn't like the feel. Rear was fine it was just the front I had issues with. It felt floaty for lack of a better word. I ended up taking mine off after a month and putting 3" coils up front. Still have the rear but just didn't like the way the front felt.

I would recommend a budget boost but thats just me. The leveling kit is definitely cheap to get but if you don't like it then you end up paying more in the end to replace them with coils like I did.

__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
^ Yep.

Get a 2.5 coil lift and call it a day.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jsmithtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,189
Images: 4
Teraflex 2.5" with Bilsteins, you won't be sorry. We love ours. Check with Northridge on price, good people.
jsmithtx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 23
Awesome!! thanks guys!! I was leaning towards the 2.5 budget lift from the beginning but just wanted other people's opinions!!
Dashyl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Firemedic552's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 74
I'm also torn btw both
Firemedic552 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Teraflex coil leveling kit. Best of both worlds. 2" front, 1" rear. Rides and handles like stock, if not a bit better.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC
Teraflex coil leveling kit. Best of both worlds. 2" front, 1" rear. Rides and handles like stock, if not a bit better.
Is there any real difference between the two? Seems like waste IMO
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Is there any real difference between the two? Seems like waste IMO
Whenever I mess with suspension (from my car racing experience) I always do it the right way. Throwing spacers on IMHO throws the entire geometry out of wack. Sure, it's not by much, but personally, I rather do it the right way. In my personal opinion, spacers on a Jeep to raise it is the same as cutting springs on a civic to lower it. Both achieve the desired outcome, but far from an ideal solution. I don't want to start a war on the subject, it is my personal opinion and nothing more. I wouldn't mind using spacers to COMPENSATE (ie, to fix the sag from a bumper or winch because this brings the geometry back into line) but not to "lift".
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC

Whenever I mess with suspension (from my car racing experience) I always do it the right way. Throwing spacers on IMHO throws the entire geometry out of wack. Sure, it's not by much, but personally, I rather do it the right way. In my personal opinion, spacers on a Jeep to raise it is the same as cutting springs on a civic to lower it. Both achieve the desired outcome, but far from an ideal solution. I don't want to start a war on the subject, it is my personal opinion and nothing more. I wouldn't mind using spacers to COMPENSATE (ie, to fix the sag from a bumper or winch) but not to "lift".
Yea but "lifting" is your general goal right?
Both have a effect on geometry.
Plus, being that it's only a leveling kit that provides a minimal lift, the cost of new coils makes no sense to me.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Yea but "lifting" is your general goal right?
Both have a effect on geometry.
Plus, being that it's only a leveling kit that provides a minimal lift, the cost of new coils makes no sense to me.
Components are rated for certain parameters. When you install spacers, you are throwing the parameters off the springs, the shocks, and the endlinks. Getting coil springs with the correct lb rating will bring the geometry back in line. I paid $350 or something like that for my coil spring kit. Personally, for piece of mind, I would rather do it the right way. Like I said, as with anything car related, there is a right way, and the cheap way. You can get wider wheels with the correct backspacing or you can run spidertrax. To me, one is the right way, one is the cheap way.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Raz65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Components are rated for certain parameters. When you install spacers, you are throwing the parameters off the springs, the shocks, and the endlinks. Getting coil springs with the correct lb rating will bring the geometry back in line. I paid $350 or something like that for my coil spring kit. Personally, for piece of mind, I would rather do it the right way. Like I said, as with anything car related, there is a right way, and the cheap way. You can get wider wheels with the correct backspacing or you can run spidertrax. To me, one is the right way, one is the cheap way.

Well, I used the levelling kit and Spidertrax, lol. I couldn't be happier with the look and the ride/handling. Sometimes spending more is not necessary. I also would say if you are lifting it doesn't matter how you lift, it's how much you lift that effects the geometry.

As far as the spacers I just check them when I rotate the tires and never a problem.
Raz65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
jlr551cfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC

Components are rated for certain parameters. When you install spacers, you are throwing the parameters off the springs, the shocks, and the endlinks. Getting coil springs with the correct lb rating will bring the geometry back in line. I paid $350 or something like that for my coil spring kit. Personally, for piece of mind, I would rather do it the right way. Like I said, as with anything car related, there is a right way, and the cheap way. You can get wider wheels with the correct backspacing or you can run spidertrax. To me, one is the right way, one is the cheap way.
Ok, I'm a little confused by this... if we are talking about "lifting" the vehicle and the weight of the vehicle has not changed, there should be no difference in "lb rating" the stock springs should be able to handle the load, correct? And whether you use a longer spring or a spring with a spacer, the distance between the top spring plate and the bottom spring plate will be the same, correct? So the only difference I can see is that a larger "lift" can be achieved by using a longer spring... also changing geometry, right? Thanks in advance!
jlr551cfd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr551cfd

Ok, I'm a little confused by this... if we are talking about "lifting" the vehicle and the weight of the vehicle has not changed, there should be no difference in "lb rating" the stock springs should be able to handle the load, correct? And whether you use a longer spring or a spring with a spacer, the distance between the top spring plate and the bottom spring plate will be the same, correct? So the only difference I can see is that a larger "lift" can be achieved by using a longer spring... also changing geometry, right? Thanks in advance!
X2 there's not much difference with the geometry .

A 2" lift is a 2" lift. Spacer or spring.

Maybe I am missing something
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
peck1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 161
Does adding the JKU Teraflex leveling kit, or coil lift, effect the warranty? And, is this something a guy with basic mechanical skills can install? Thanks.
peck1959 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by peck1959
Does adding the JKU Teraflex leveling kit, or coil lift, effect the warranty? And, is this something a guy with basic mechanical skills can install? Thanks.
Nope and yep
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #17
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
A TF leveling kit and trimmed flares could work well too.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr551cfd View Post
Ok, I'm a little confused by this... if we are talking about "lifting" the vehicle and the weight of the vehicle has not changed, there should be no difference in "lb rating" the stock springs should be able to handle the load, correct? And whether you use a longer spring or a spring with a spacer, the distance between the top spring plate and the bottom spring plate will be the same, correct? So the only difference I can see is that a larger "lift" can be achieved by using a longer spring... also changing geometry, right? Thanks in advance!
Not entirely correct. Springs have many parameters that can change their behavior. The amount of coils. The distance between coils. The compression of each coil, etc. While in a Jeep, this is MUCH less pronounced than a sports car, the notion that "a spring is a spring" is not correct. I don't want to clog this thread up with a spring/suspension debate, but we can start and talk about this in a different thread.

BTW, the spring "weight" you are talking about is not simply the weight of a vehicle sitting on the springs. The "lb" figure you see slapped onto springs is force/weight, not just weight.

Good read for basic spring understand. You will be amazed at how complex a spring is when it comes to the suspension of a vehicle.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/spgtech.htm
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Spacer leveling kit here and have had no problems at all. Of course, I plan to upgrade to something like the 2.5" coil kit or RK Stock Mod eventually (if I keep the Jeep ). That's the whole reason I went with the cheap spacer kit. $115 and can resell it for around $70 or so whenever the time comes.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
jeepkingtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spring City
Posts: 268
Is there anything different about installing the leveling kit on a Rubicon? Also does anyone know if there is an installation video. Thanks.
__________________
2012 FLAME RED JK UNLIMITED RUBICON
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio/5 Speed Auto/Connectivity Group/Heated Front Seats/Remote Start System/ACE Rock Sliders/Front Stubby Bumper

Job 19:26
jeepkingtn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
jlr551cfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkingtn
Is there anything different about installing the leveling kit on a Rubicon? Also does anyone know if there is an installation video. Thanks.
I wouldn't think so... in my experience, find a copy of the AEV 2" spacer lift instructions... they are alot more detailed than TF...
jlr551cfd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 533
Teraflex leveling kit, cut flares, and 35s. 35s definitely made the ride harsh and track every single rut in the road. Looking to install a 2.5" or 3.5" lift soon.

TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #23
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Teraflex leveling kit, cut flares, and 35s. 35s definitely made the ride harsh and track every single rut in the road. Looking to install a 2.5" or 3.5" lift soon.
Looks great. Chalk test those bad boys.
I finally did so and made a huge difference in handling. I am at 28 front and 26 rear (cold)
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 533
I'm running 30 psi, wearing fine so far. I think it's just the E rating.
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
aypanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
I'm running 30 psi, wearing fine so far. I think it's just the E rating.
only 30psi for an E rated tire? Isn't the max 80psi? I was thinking you were a little under inflated for the tire you have.
aypanthony is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 533
Says 65 here: Trail Grappler

When I was at 35 psi, the edges weren't touching the ground with the chalk test.
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #27
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Teraflex front coil spacers

My story:
I've had a 3" lift for some time but decided to level out the front end by using 1.25" front coil spacers from Teraflex. I actually had them installed since I don't have a lift or larger jack (& stands) to get the front end up in order to remove the front springs to install. I had them for a month, no off-roading (too hot in AZ right now) and the left front exploded while pulling out of my driveway. I called the shop that I bought them (and installed them) and there is no warranty on them. It seems Teraflex will not stand behind them. I would highly suggest not going with Teraflex spacers. I mean, for $50 for two spacers and they can't even handle the driveway?? how are they going to handle abuse on the trail? Anyone know anything about topguncustomz.com? They sell steel spacers for the same price as the Teraflex polyurethane ones. I guess I wouldn't be so upset if I strained them and they broke under use, but my driveway? And the fact that Teraflex won't stand behind their products. One month old, come on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0256.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	142753  
Forewheeler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
jeepkingtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spring City
Posts: 268
That is terrible! I'm getting ready to install the leveling kit. I hope I don't have that problem.
__________________
2012 FLAME RED JK UNLIMITED RUBICON
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio/5 Speed Auto/Connectivity Group/Heated Front Seats/Remote Start System/ACE Rock Sliders/Front Stubby Bumper

Job 19:26
jeepkingtn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #29
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkingtn
That is terrible! I'm getting ready to install the leveling kit. I hope I don't have that problem.
I have had nothing but good things to say about Tera's CS.

I would not worry IMO

For the post above -
Were the factory isolators installed along with the spacers ?
I've seen where they can be installed crooked which would put stress on them.
Or maybe just a bad batch of rubber. I have no doubt TF would send a new pair of $50 spacers out to you if you call/email and be nice about it.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forewheeler View Post
My story:
I've had a 3" lift for some time but decided to level out the front end by using 1.25" front coil spacers from Teraflex. I actually had them installed since I don't have a lift or larger jack (& stands) to get the front end up in order to remove the front springs to install. I had them for a month, no off-roading (too hot in AZ right now) and the left front exploded while pulling out of my driveway. I called the shop that I bought them (and installed them) and there is no warranty on them. It seems Teraflex will not stand behind them. I would highly suggest not going with Teraflex spacers. I mean, for $50 for two spacers and they can't even handle the driveway?? how are they going to handle abuse on the trail? Anyone know anything about topguncustomz.com? They sell steel spacers for the same price as the Teraflex polyurethane ones. I guess I wouldn't be so upset if I strained them and they broke under use, but my driveway? And the fact that Teraflex won't stand behind their products. One month old, come on!
Thank you. This was my point above. The suspension on a vehicle is a very critical component, as well as sensitive. There are plenty of places to save money on a Jeep. In my personal opinion, suspension is NOT one of them. It is your Jeep, as well as your money, so you are free to do whatever you wish, these are just my .02.

NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC