Test-drove a 2012 auto Sport... it was gutless. Are the manuals any better? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsn View Post
Shift slow? O_o
You can't tell me you can shift the Jeep 6-speed like a Mustang or Corvette manual.....

__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic
'13 JK Sahara...too many other toys...

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Strokerswild is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #62
Jeeper
 
JeepJinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Just looked it up btw. It was a 2011, not a 2012. This is the exact wrangler I test drove:
Used 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport VIN 1J4AA2D17BL582111 For Sale | Durham NC .

Charles.
When I read your opening post of this thread....I guessed that you had indeed driven a 2011 or earlier JK.
I used the exact same word ,,,(guttless) to discribe my first test drive in a 2010 JK.
You will be pleasantly surprised when you drive one with the 3.6 aluminum block JK.

__________________
Rogue Squadron
JeepJinx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
Lotrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 179
I don't feel it back there. Plenty of power to pull and ample brakes to stop it. Even through the mountains. This JRUR manual is the best of the 4 Jeeps I've owned.

Lotrat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #64
gsn
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokerswild View Post
You can't tell me you can shift the Jeep 6-speed like a Mustang or Corvette manual.....
Hmm? like a corvette? probably not, that transmission is tuned too much for the track. Mustang? dafuq? really? :\ I dont know what kind of jeep you had or if it had any transmission problems but, shifting is not slow whatsoever. I just drove a friend's '13 mustang and you either put butter in the mustang's transmission you are mentioning or you are exaggerating, because the only "major" difference between shifting speed (not throttle) is that the mustang's has a much shorter shifter. You should have had your jk's trans checked out, because it shouldn't be truck-hard to shift.

You probably had a tighter than usual inner shifting boot or whatever. If it were to shift like a truck all the acceleration ratings for the pentastar wranglers would not be the same. Unless you were not shifting properly.

Just a quick search found this


And he doesn't even seem to be peaking it which would make the transition even much easier.
gsn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
Omar Brannstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 480
Hi

This is a 2012 wrangler with 3.21 and auto, pretty fast. Seems to be faster than the manual or what do you guys think

__________________
2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon, delivered in one week
Omar Brannstrom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
scuba_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 674
I am curious about how much better the manual is.

No doubt, you have more control. My last two Wranglers were manual, but my current 2013 JKR is an auto (first one I have ever owned)...and it seems to rock. If I stand on the accelerator, it goes pretty much to red line. In fact, I find that I back down a bit to let it switch gears. I am really loving driving it. The new 5-speed auto trans coupled with the new 3.6L and 4.10 gearing makes this thing a heck of a lot more fun to drive than my old manual trans TJ.

Either way though, if you were driving a BMW before, you are going to have to rebaseline your expectations.
scuba_steve is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #67
gsn
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
I am curious about how much better the manual is.

No doubt, you have more control. My last two Wranglers were manual, but my current 2013 JKR is an auto (first one I have ever owned)...and it seems to rock. If I stand on the accelerator, it goes pretty much to red line. In fact, I find that I back down a bit to let it switch gears. I am really loving driving it. The new 5-speed auto trans coupled with the new 3.6L and 4.10 gearing makes this thing a heck of a lot more fun to drive than my old manual trans TJ.

Either way though, if you were driving a BMW before, you are going to have to rebaseline your expectations.
Its not better, just the same, except for the fact you are doing the shifts. Its just not a hard-to-shift truck-like transmission O_O. Acceleration times rarely change among the two. Its not much about redlining, but how the computer chooses the gears. Too many times i've driven autos where I needed torque to maneuver out of an emergency situation and it just wasn't there. Pushing brakes, downshifting three gears to then switch lanes and catch up with oncoming traffic at the proper power band not to get rear ended, I have never been able to pull that off due to the small delay autos have when switching gears, unless its a bmw m5.

Its simple as preference, if the person knows how to properly drive a manual, he wouldn't use an auto for other than comfort and probably not on his aficionado car. Except on some drag racing cars where highly tuned autos are beneficial and better.
gsn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 291
So, I drove the 2013 today. Wow, I'm impressed. The motor is COMPLETELY different from the 2011. I mean, GOBS more power. I didn't find the manual to be a big deal, it shifted nicely, and I even got in a power shift or two on my test drive. Lots of kick. The automatic was the big surprise though. I could be happy with that. This the first automatic I've ever driven where I'm completely happy with it. I am actually having a hard time deciding which to get to tell the truth. Really the only reason to get the manual over the automatic is because nobody drives stick anymore, and I enjoy it. (Plus I guess, potential thieves are too stupid to drive stick).

That being said, the auto gives me much more legroom. The clutch on the manual is kind of out there in the way. Hrm, decisions decisions.

Charles.
ChopperCharles is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #69
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,420
Aha!

So you were driving a '11, that explains everything.

gsn, my '12 was a 6-speed, and that vehicle was my seventh manual trans vehicle. Pretty sure I know how to drive a stick. No way in hell that one would take my '13 with the auto in a drag.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic
'13 JK Sahara...too many other toys...

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Strokerswild is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #70
Jeeper
 
MichaelEdwardsDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
Manual or automatics is your preference. I've had many of both. Yes a manual is an aficionados choice but all of the new "halo" automobiles are electronically shifted automatics for a reason. A human simply cannot shift faster than one which is properly tuned. I drive around using the electronic shifter in my automatic jku all the time because I like to control shift points. I miss out on a little engine braking below 10mph. Oh well. And I may yet buy a manual trams next time. My advice go to every dealership within 20miles and drive ever single jeep they will let you get into. The more your try the more you are likely to figure out what YOU prefer.
MichaelEdwardsDO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #71
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Oh, okay. Wasn't aware the engines and transmissions were different, thought all the JKs were the same. I need to do more research I guess.

Charles.
Emoto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #72
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,790
I have both a 2 door and 4 door with 4.1 gearing and both standard. Mine (4 door) is not a slug but not a race car either. The new jeeps with the pentafarse engine are not much different from the first JKs with the 3.8 in it - the main difference being the transmission. My wife's jeep (2 door) seems to have more pep than mine but that is just because of the extra weight that the 4 door carries around.

This may be related to my mid 50's old man image while driving - yesterday while driving around the idiot in the muscle truck behind me passed me at a 4 way stop in a no passing zone in a residential neighborhood. Made me feel kind of small and old man-ish when it happened but it could also just be an idiot driver who also happened to be a young woopersnapper. This also made me feel a little sluggish in my jeep but it is not related to its performance. If you want race car performance buy a racecar. If you are looking for great off road capability and winter driving security then a jeep is a great choice.
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #73
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,790
BTW I tow a covered utility trailer that is purposed for camping when I'm on vacation. I is near the tow limit of 3500 lbs. I've towed it from Florida to Maine. It has issues going up hills with that kind of weight but no worse than a tractor trailer truck towing a full load uphill. I could keep up with those and even pass them occasionally when I had a long opening. At that weight, you will know it is back there.
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #74
Jeeper
 
JackedUpMedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroooom View Post
Research should start about 15" above the front bumper. You'll find a single, four letter word. It says "Jeep"

It doesnt say porche. Wasnt built to be fast. Doesnt want to be fast. Couldnt win a race against a bowling ball.

But I'd like to see a 911 Carerra go wheeling.

Every tool has a task (not referring to the human at the wheel).

Choose the right vehicle for what you want.

Doesnt sound like you're a wrangler sort of person, and that is completely ok.

Kinda like the guy who rides a jacked-up F-550 with riser stacks and chrome bling...but no hitch. Its a waste. Or the guy who puts tiny wheels on their camero so thay can get quicker accelleration...but lower top-end. Its a waste. or a guy who puts a rear spoiler on their "Mystery-Maching" conversion van. waste(d).

Dont buy a corvette and bitch that you cant haul lumber. Dont buy a Chevy 3500 and bitch that you cant fit in a drive through. Dont buy a morotcycle and bitch that you cant take your family of 7. Dont buy a Jeep and bitch that you dont like the accelleration.

My '12 is fast enough. I aint into drag racing. Almost everything out there is fast enough to pass me. But almost everything out there slows down to look at me (well...they look at my jeep...not at me)

I cruise 85mph on the toll roads near me. No problem. Ride 25mph on the gravel roads. No Problem. Wheel 1-2mph on rocky trails. No problem. Sit perfectly still on isolated hilltops and ridgelines. Nooooooooo ProblemS

I'm in no hurry.
Well put...
JackedUpMedic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #75
Jeeper
 
MichaelEdwardsDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedUpMedic View Post

Well put...
I disagree. You mod it however you like it. You drive to push whatever envelope you want. Yes it's a JEEP but when he buys it will be his not yours. Stop prejudging and don't eat the guy alive for asking questions.
MichaelEdwardsDO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #76
Jeeper
 
JackedUpMedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEdwardsDO View Post

I disagree. You mod it however you like it. You drive to push whatever envelope you want. Yes it's a JEEP but when he buys it will be his not yours. Stop prejudging and don't eat the guy alive for asking questions.
I was mostly agreeing with the whole "don't buy X expecting X" part of his post and even then not really in reference to the main post. Oh that and the "I'm in no hurry" part.

"Chill Winston..." mindset.
JackedUpMedic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #77
Jeeper
 
MichaelEdwardsDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedUpMedic View Post

I was mostly agreeing with the whole "don't buy X expecting X" part of his post and even then not really in reference to the main post. Oh that and the "I'm in no hurry" part.

"Chill Winston..." mindset.
Fair enough. I just don't want the beat the guy up for asking questions
MichaelEdwardsDO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #78
Jeeper
 
JackedUpMedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEdwardsDO View Post

Fair enough. I just don't want the beat the guy up for asking questions
Of course not. That's what all this is for anyways.

JackedUpMedic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Vendor Spotlight (Deals & More)
Jeep Parts - Jeep Wheels - Jeep Soft Tops
» Recent Threads

» Popular Tags
2.5 2014 advice audio battery bestop body lift build bumper camping clutch dana 44 electrical engine exhaust fenders for sale hardtop hard top help advice install jeep jeep jk jeep tj jeep wrangler jeep yj jku leak led lift lift advice lift kit lights mod mods newbie noise oem outdoorx4 overland parts radio regear rims rubicon sahara shocks soft top speakers sport springs steering stereo stock suspension suspension lift swap tire tires tires and wheels top transfer case transmission unlimited upgrade wheels wheels and tires winch wiring wrangler
Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC