I set out to do this mod for as cheap as humanly possible. $200 was my maximum. I will include a full shopping list so that you can have everything you need with as little leftover as possible. I spent about 3 days prepping and spraying. This can easily be done in 2 days and I have amended the timeline accordingly.
***Be advised, all materials were purchased for a 2 door JK. The 4 door models will obviously require more materials. Plan ahead.***
DAY 1: Shopping and Prep Work
Shopping list: 1- Raptor kit (including gun), 1- trim/panel popper, 1- small bottle acetone, 2- large rolls crappy masking tape, 1- large roll blue painter's tape, 1- roll plastic sheeting (10'x50yds), 1- 10-pack coarse sanding sponges, 1- 10-pack pack nitrile gloves, 1- 5-pack nose/mouth masks, *purchased but didn't use 1 can of self-etching primer*
Other items used and already owned: air compressor, ear plugs, wood chisel, heat gun, various tools for tearing apart the Jeep.
Step 1: Tear that MOFO apart. I don't have a rear seat or carpet so I started with the front seats. If you don't have an air impact, you'll need a breaker bar. Those bolts are torqued in there pretty damn good. Next was the plastic trim that goes around the door sill and seat belts. That's where you'll need the trim/panel popper. I used a rag under the tool so that I didn't scratch the plastic but, I'm not certain it's necessary. Next I removed the seat belts. This requires a T50. I recommend detaching the bottom bolt first that way when you remove the top bolt you can hang the seat belt on a nail. This keeps the belt from retracting into the spool (I hear it's a b*&!h to get back out). Then the sub enclosure came out followed by the plastic pieces on the tailgate. At this point the only thing left in the Jeep was the center console. You can choose to tape it off or remove it. I chose to remove it. Start by removing the shifter knobs. The transfer case knob is a PIA but, it does come off with some elbow grease. Once the e-brake is pulled all the way back, use the trim/panel popper to remove the top plate of the console. Then remove the 4 large screws at the base of the console. This should allow you to lift the console from the rear and remove it from the Jeep. Voila! Jeep dismantled.
Step 2: Wiring. I opted to disconnect the tail lights and pull all the wiring to the front of the Jeep. It was easier to me than taping it all off. I used the trim/panel tool to disconnect the wiring from the body, put it into grocery bags, and laid them on the dash.
Step 3: Hell. Or peeling sound-deadening gunk. Whichever you prefer. It wasn't pleasant but, in my opinion, absolutely necessary. The material is porous and I had water, mud, and sand under mine. I used a 1" wood chisel and a hammer. It took about 2 hours to get it all. It was 90 when I did this. If it was 70 I would recommend a heat gun to soften the gunk.
Step 4: Wash the tub. This was a necessary step for me. I had a crap ton of mud and dirt all over the place. Oops.
Step 5: Tape. This is where the blue painter's tape saved my project. I decided to "pre-tape" all edges. This meant using the blue tape as a bottom layer (without plastic attached). I figured that the masking tape and plastic would fail me at some point. I was right. The blue tape prevented any overspray from getting on the body when the plastic peeled up. Just something to keep in mind. I used plastic all over the sound bar and roll cage. It wasn't necessary. Halfway up would have sufficed. If you somehow get bedliner on the sound bar, you've got bigger problems.
And that ends Day 1. All-in-all about 5-6 hours worth of work. Next post will be Day 2: Sanding and spraying.