Thoughts on Smittybilt products? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
Owned smittybuilt- they are not high quality, but some people have not compared them to anything else. They rusted to nothing even though I had a buddy with a wand spray the internals of their tube bumpers with a 3M protectant. The warn bumpers I replaced them with outlasted the Jeep (310,000 miles when I sold it).


Don't believe me? Then check out these time tested idioms/proverbs/sayings:

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH

I realize OP already bought but this post is for the next reader to factor in to their decision

__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
At $300 for a pair of rocker rails, if they fall off my Jeep in a pile of rust in two years' time I won't feel cheated.

__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,976
Mine are nearly two years old and have seen some of the worst salt imaginable. There is not a single ounce of rust on them. People also need to take into account the owner. Some Jeep guys don't wash their rigs for the entire winter season, letting the salt sit on their parts for months at a time. My rampage bumper also has ZERO rust.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Mine are nearly two years old and have seen some of the worst salt imaginable. There is not a single ounce of rust on them. People also need to take into account the owner. Some Jeep guys don't wash their rigs for the entire winter season, letting the salt sit on their parts for months at a time. My rampage bumper also has ZERO rust.
Interesting. I've never seen a bumper that didn't have rust on it even brand new. Delivery always finds a way to knock even the best quality powder coat off a corner or somewhere that's inconspicuous.

Glad your is holding up very well. It's a sweet looking bumper for sure. Minnesota winters killed all smitty built products I've owned (never again- no offense) and Colorado's mag-chloride is not far behind in harsh environments. I read a report about temperature changes being one of the most damaging aspects of weather related corrosion. People recreating in the mountains and returning to the foothills among the truckloads of mag-chloride being laid down is an extremely corrosive cocktail (below freezing temps in the Rockies and near 70 degree temps in Denver). I wash the whole jeep, including undercarriage, before I even pull in the garage.

LoD had past issues with rust creeping through and they now do a 5 step (2 stage zinc enriched powder coat) painting process. I would be very surprised to see smitty built outlasting LoD. Although maybe they get painted the exact same way for all I know. My experience is only with smitty builts tube bumpers, and they looked great until one day the rust consumes them seemingly overnight. Thank goodness I didn't try hooking up to it for a recovery when it was structurally compromised- that right there is why I won't own smitty built- my safety and the safety of others around me trumps a dollar saved. That's just my opinion, based on first hand experience.
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
sinbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fresno Ca
Posts: 728
I have a Smittybilt XRC frt bumper with a Warn 9.5HS winch no problems with fitment and it has been almost 3 yrs now no rust. I was up last year on the Dusy Ershiem trail and didn't quite turn fast enough and bounced off of this boulder Yeah that turned me faster boulder dust all over the place....got out looked at the bumper and nothing but a little powder coat missing

I also have the SRC rear bumper and tire carrier....no issues.

A lot of people don't like Smittbilt because it is made in China.....but, isn't just about 90% of the things we have made somewhere else.

Once I rip off my nerf bars I will get their rock sliders and maybe the flat fenders too.
If you compare the rock slider material it is the same. I know because I have. Smittybilt comes powder coated, a lot of other manufacturs don't ,so you have to factor in those costs too.
I would love to have Poisen Spider or Metal cloak.....but who can afford them...not me
__________________
It's not about getting out of the Storm, but learning to dance in the rain.
When I die I am going to be buried with my Jeep, cause I haven't yet found a hole it can't get out of!!!!!
06 TJ Rubi 4.0 and alot of other crap
sinbob is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #36
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider View Post
Interesting. I've never seen a bumper that didn't have rust on it even brand new. Delivery always finds a way to knock even the best quality powder coat off a corner or somewhere that's inconspicuous.

Glad your is holding up very well. It's a sweet looking bumper for sure. Minnesota winters killed all smitty built products I've owned (never again- no offense) and Colorado's mag-chloride is not far behind in harsh environments. I read a report about temperature changes being one of the most damaging aspects of weather related corrosion. People recreating in the mountains and returning to the foothills among the truckloads of mag-chloride being laid down is an extremely corrosive cocktail (below freezing temps in the Rockies and near 70 degree temps in Denver). I wash the whole jeep, including undercarriage, before I even pull in the garage.

LoD had past issues with rust creeping through and they now do a 5 step (2 stage zinc enriched powder coat) painting process. I would be very surprised to see smitty built outlasting LoD. Although maybe they get painted the exact same way for all I know. My experience is only with smitty builts tube bumpers, and they looked great until one day the rust consumes them seemingly overnight. Thank goodness I didn't try hooking up to it for a recovery when it was structurally compromised- that right there is why I won't own smitty built- my safety and the safety of others around me trumps a dollar saved. That's just my opinion, based on first hand experience.
You are right....I should have been a bit more clear. When delivered, one of the corners was damaged and had a slight showing of rust. I sanded it off and threw on a coat of plastidip (not the spray) to protect it. I didn't bring that up because that wasn't really a quality thing, but rather delivery damage.

As for winters, NY/NJ salt the piss out of their roads, and this past winter, I spent a few weeks in Canada where my Jeep was literally coated in a layer of that spray crap (probably the same thing they use in Minnesota and Colorado.)

Dont know if you can tell, but you can see the coating of salt all over the thing....


When installing my Zeon winch, I had clearance issues that required me to modify a few things on the bumper. When I was cutting and drilling, the powdercoat in the surrounding area didn't even budge...something very rare, and I have owned many MANY high end parts over the years for my sports cars (German, Japanese, Australian and USA made.)

I have said it before...if I lived in Colorado where I had endless trails, and was constantly banging my jeep into rocks, I would probably look elsewhere. However, for most people, for a little style, the use of a step, and some protection for the occasional bang I think these products are great, particularly at this pricepoint.

I do see your point though, you owned a product that rusted through on you. You have every right/reason to not recommend it. Just like you though, I can only go by my experience and the smitty parts I own (very few, just the siderails and the A pillar light mounts) have had zero rust.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

You are right....I should have been a bit more clear. When delivered, one of the corners was damaged and had a slight showing of rust. I sanded it off and threw on a coat of plastidip (not the spray) to protect it. I didn't bring that up because that wasn't really a quality thing, but rather delivery damage.

As for winters, NY/NJ salt the piss out of their roads, and this past winter, I spent a few weeks in Canada where my Jeep was literally coated in a layer of that spray crap (probably the same thing they use in Minnesota and Colorado.)

Dont know if you can tell, but you can see the coating of salt all over the thing....

When installing my Zeon winch, I had clearance issues that required me to modify a few things on the bumper. When I was cutting and drilling, the powdercoat in the surrounding area didn't even budge...something very rare, and I have owned many MANY high end parts over the years for my sports cars (German, Japanese, Australian and USA made.)

I have said it before...if I lived in Colorado where I had endless trails, and was constantly banging my jeep into rocks, I would probably look elsewhere. However, for most people, for a little style, the use of a step, and some protection for the occasional bang I think these products are great, particularly at this pricepoint.

I do see your point though, you owned a product that rusted through on you. You have every right/reason to not recommend it. Just like you though, I can only go by my experience and the smitty parts I own (very few, just the siderails and the A pillar light mounts) have had zero rust.
It never happened if you cover it up!

Ya winters are extreme out there from what I hear. Oh yes, the salt or mag-chloride or whatever it is can't be good and it is quite clear in that crystal clear photo that you pump out consistently well as usual! Very nice. Make me wish I did some winter wheeling- wait, there's plenty left one hour west. They just got snow at A Basin and I'm going skiing Thursday (normally they are open till July 4th)

I just have to say again how I love your bumper. It definitely looks beefy and is not comparable to a tube bumper to be fair.

The LoD did require some extra spacers to push it out far enough to clear the power plant and to allow the grill to come off. LoD said theirs cleared the proper plant on the house rig. No two Jeeps are ever the same I guess.

Oh and the trails may seem endless in Colorado compared to many places but they get closed so fast it makes your head spin- damn greenies. Can't we all just have a little piece of public land to responsibly recreate on? As for quality stuff and wheeling hard yes, it goes hand in hand. I just don't wheel the way I used but I still like to get the best quality I can afford and I'm willing to hold out and wait for it so that I can afford it; lift @ 20,000K, bumper&winch @ 35,000K etc

I do agree on the good points people have been making- it is a USA owned company (4wheel part bought them right?), and shipping industry here UPS, price, and so on

I should also add the front smitty bumper took some hits but the rear bent to $hit after one big drop and I couldn't even open the tailgate until I got some tools on it (Cherokee Sport) . In comparison the rear warn took such a hit that it bent a little on a huge drop on the rubicon trail that the downward force and sudden stop bent the rear-most body mount tab that is welded to the frame even though I had the Rokmen frame brace gusset things (LJ)
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
Jeeper
 
JKhardrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramhunter9 View Post
Everything on my jeep is Smitty .. bumpers, sliders , fenders even doors ... not in the pic. It all went on fantastic no issues and the finish is awesome .. I recommend them

I have the same side rails as in the picture above; however, when i received them the passenger side was damnaged. The powdercoating came off and there was a larger dent in the bottom part of the tube near the front. I contacted 4wd and they put me in contact with smittybilt. They replaced the rails with a new set, but to my dismay the new set arrived and the drivers side was damaged almost in the same spot. Fortunately, I needed to replace the passenger side, so it ended up in my favor. I did contact smittybilt on this again and they noted it..I told the guy that I really like their products, but the QC sucks and makes me a bit leary of buying other products. As far as them holding up, I give them a thumbs up.
__________________
"Powered by Pentastar...Protected by Glock."
JKhardrox is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #39
Jeeper
 
Rmiller31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 455
300$ is more then I paid for my ace rails shipped to my door. I've owned a few smittybuilt products in the past that were fine but they weren't bumpers or sliders.

Some pics I have seen of the rails bending in on 4 doors was enough to make me not even consider them.
Rmiller31 is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Blkfenderslookbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
..... Just be honest with yourself, something that many Jeepers here refuse to do.


My vote for "most accurate comment" of the day
__________________
If I told you I was a pathological liar... would you believe me?
Blkfenderslookbetter is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
hipshot33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Near Houston Texas
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post
Well, now I'm torn. On the one hand there are enough people decrying the quality of the Smittybilt stuff to give me cause for concern, on the other hand I haven't seen anything else that looks anything like as good as the SRC Side Armor. Can anyone recommend an alternative product that looks like it? I've looked at the Ace stuff and while it's nice enough, I really like the three dimensional design of the Smittybilt product.
look at the ACE rock sliders.... they are the only one that I know of that can be installed and leave in place the stock Rubicon rock rail.. they work well and look good with or without the Rubicon rail... im not sure where they are made...
hipshot33 is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
l2abbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 323
I have smitty mod bumper , SRC rails , xrc8 , & soon to purchase the smitty atlas rear bumper!
Let me start by saying , " I beat the hell out if my jeep" no smitty gear has failed me yet. Then again I clean and take care of my stuff.
I repaint my rails when I drop them on rocks. I clean my bumpers and winch almost every week because I love my jeep.
Also like said earlier I would rather buy a pair of rails for $250-300 a then at $700-$800. Because either way they are going to get scratched & dented. I've put my entire jeep on the src's and was shocked that they held up as well as the did.
Smitty is a company that builds quality products at a affordable budget. Not everyone is blessed with the money tree in the back yard. It's all a matter of perspective and personal preference. But I say thank you to smitty for making good gear at a great price
__________________
Pro comp stuff...Smittybilt Things & stuff
l2abbit is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #43
Newb
 
GalvestonSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Galveston, TX
Posts: 11
Smitty is good bang for the buck stuff, and looks good too. Do what you want, I did! And I love the way my ride looks with smitty front bumper and sliders! Nothing like going down the beach on a sunday afternoon and having all the truck guys drop their jaws cause your ride looks bad ass but they are still saving up for what they think is the best stuff. Just put it on, and use it. If it falls off in two years big deal your out max 1000 bucks for front bumper and sliders. Then, go get a different set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrangler 001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	280667  
GalvestonSahara is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
CollegiateJeeperDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by somis View Post
I would personally support another company. Shittybilt is low quality. Yeah, it may work for some people, but with my personal experience the stuff is junk. Also there is a reason they have a bad reputation. I would recommend you look elsewhere and stimulate the american economy
What personal experience do you have? "There is a reason" - what's that? Don't chime in and bash a product or company without proof of some sort.

I run Smittybilt front and rear src bumpers along with rock rails. I do moderate wheeling - I've hit rocks, I've literally run down trees a good 8 inches in diameter that were in my way on trails and the most damage done has been a couple minor scrapes. In fact, I was sitting at a red light at night in the rain one night, and 70+ year old woman didn't have head lgihts on and rammed the back of my jeep going around 20-25 miles an hour. I had just enough time to get moving to about 5 mph before impact. Her car was totalled. Hood smashed up and front end absolutely crumpled (it was a toyota camry). My bumper? A slight scrape off the powder coating on one side.

Can't speak much for the rock rails - though I've heard from other members that they crumble compard to ACE and the likes. I just havn't hit anything hard on them so I wouldn't know.

Lastly - the only bad thing other than the rock rails I've ever heard is the whole shebang about not being an American product. Yes, it is nice to support the US economy and workers, but what it really comes down to is finding the product that gets the job done for you, for a price that doesn't break the bank.

OP - Please take my post as a definite reason to purchase these products. I even slapped one of their decals on the top of my windshield after that accident because I felt like I had gotten much more bang for my buck and that they deserved to have me be proud as a customer.

Done, ranting...just can't stand when people bash a product that they havn't had extensive experience with. Just because you have one bad experience with a single product of theirs doesn't mean they deserve to be called "Shittybilt".
CollegiateJeeperDB is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,859
I purchased a bikini top a few weeks ago. apparently plastic hooks are designed to hold a 5x4 piece of cloth on the top of the jeep at 75mph. they snapped on the highway almost taking my head off so I replaced them with brackets that attach to the hardtop mounting points. now it is literally tearing itself apart every time I go faster than 55. terrible product.
Tweak is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #46
Jeeper
 
TiltMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 100
Its all the same. Smittybilt uses the same thickness of metal as everyone else. Metal is metal. They can just produce it for less.
TiltMaster is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #47
302
Jeeper
 
302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 221
I don't own smitty products, but their stuff is probably some of the most best looking stuff on the market. With that said, I was behind a guy wheelin one time and he had the smitty bumper/tire carrier combo. The thing rattled like crazy. That's the only downside I've seen personally on their products. A lot of guys in my local jeep club run their stuff and I have seen no negatives about breakages, etc.
__________________
2013 JK Sport /CG/33" Duractracs/ProComp 7069's/Teraflex 2.5" lift/RK Lowers/ACE Rock Rails/Spiderwebshades/etc

And now the waiting game: JCR Stubby stinger, JCR rear bumper/tire carrier,warn powerplant...
302 is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #48
Jeeper
 
redbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 264
I have XRC bumpers on my Jeep and so far they have held up just fine. They have been on for 7 months now. I have noticed some minimal chipping on the hinge of the rear tire carrier, but no big deal.

I chose these because the mod line allowed me to choose the options that I wanted on the front bumper. (Ie full width end caps, bull bar, etc.).
redbilly is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #49
Jeeper
 
gr8fulKID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 787
I have quite a few smitty products, front bumper and rear tire carrier, rock sliders, fenders, and tailgate pouches and I think a fire extinguisher too. I bought them because of the price, and I like the way most of their stuff looks

For me, the fitment of the bumpers was fine but the sliders just took a little drilling/grinding to get on. I would recommend to use some bedliner on all of their products and switch out the hardware whenever possible. I have been happy with everything I have gotten from them.

If your looking for a bumper that is going to be at moab every week for the next year, you might want something a little more stout.
gr8fulKID is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
ahsumtoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 541
Good and Bad

I have a 2013 JKU and put on a Smittybilt Tire Carrier. It supports up to 37" tires. I do some heavy 4x4ing and haven't had any problems with it. It bolted directly on with no problems. However, my friend had a 2013 JKU and bought a Smittybilt bumper. It looks nice but he had to cut out places to make it fit. So I talked with my local Jeep parts manager and he told me they use the tire carriers but don't recommend the bumpers due to most of them just not bolting on correctly without some modifications. Don't know about the rock sliders.
ahsumtoy is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wildomar
Posts: 1,364
I have their xrc carrier and I am very happy with after all these years

Jaker jk is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC