Trade In help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Trade In help

Hey guys, I have never traded in a vehicle before, so any advice would be appreciated. I have decided to trade my 2012 sahara for a 2014 rubi. It just makes financial sense to me, and it's something I should have done from the start. For me to regear, add lockers, a PR44, etc to my rig would obliterate the cost difference of a trade in, so Im going to do it right this time.

First question, what would be a fair trade in value (what I should Aim for) for my rig

2012 JKU Sahara
Crush
Leather
Side Air Bags
730N
Heated Seats
Remote Start
Uconnect
Hardtop only.
23500 miles
No accidents, no scratches...mint condition.

Also, does anyone know when the 2014 ordering will open up?

Thanks for any and all advice.

NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Numbercruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 381
I always check kelley blue book and go to the library to get the NADA guide. NADA is the National Automobile Dealers Association and the publication they offer is what most people call the blue book.

KBB will have different trade in values based on condition of the vehicle. It will also be based on private party vs. trade in. Don't try to get private part from the dealer. They need to resell it to make money themselves or they won't take it on a trade.

NADA will have Loan, Wholesale and Retail. Loan is the most the bank will loan against the vehicle. Wholesale is what you would get for trade in and retail is what you or the dealer would sell it for.

Hopefully you are a member of tread lightly which means you get the new vehicle at a great price with no haggling. You only need to determine your trade value. If you are just going to haggle, lock down the new vehicle price before you talk trade in. I usually tell the dealer up front I am trading in as before I ever get to a dealer I know what the cash out of pocket should be based on what I want to pay for the new vehicle and what I want in trade. I'll happily pay ten grand over MSRP if they give me 13k more for my trade. That is where the games begin.

I am trying to trade my 2011 Mustang in on a new Rubi right now. There is a black one perfectly equipped for me but I am not sure about the color. White and I'd jump all over it. Then again I have never had a black car and a change would be nice.

NC

Numbercruncher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,749
Images: 13
Check to KBB, NADA, and Edmunds, along with a written quote from CarMax,
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
I always check kelley blue book and go to the library to get the NADA guide. NADA is the National Automobile Dealers Association and the publication they offer is what most people call the blue book.

KBB will have different trade in values based on condition of the vehicle. It will also be based on private party vs. trade in. Don't try to get private part from the dealer. They need to resell it to make money themselves or they won't take it on a trade.

NADA will have Loan, Wholesale and Retail. Loan is the most the bank will loan against the vehicle. Wholesale is what you would get for trade in and retail is what you or the dealer would sell it for.

Hopefully you are a member of tread lightly which means you get the new vehicle at a great price with no haggling. You only need to determine your trade value. If you are just going to haggle, lock down the new vehicle price before you talk trade in. I usually tell the dealer up front I am trading in as before I ever get to a dealer I know what the cash out of pocket should be based on what I want to pay for the new vehicle and what I want in trade. I'll happily pay ten grand over MSRP if they give me 13k more for my trade. That is where the games begin.

I am trying to trade my 2011 Mustang in on a new Rubi right now. There is a black one perfectly equipped for me but I am not sure about the color. White and I'd jump all over it. Then again I have never had a black car and a change would be nice.

NC
I am a member of TL, but even when I got the current rig, I got a better price than TL offers...which is 1% below. Hell, truecar will do 2% right off the bat. Im shooting for 4% below invoice for the new rig, but I need to make sure I get a good trade in price on my current rig.

KBB.com is telling me that my rig in excellent condition is worth $30,122. Is this a realistic number to want?
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
KBB.com is telling me that my rig in excellent condition is worth $30,122. Is this a realistic number to want?
no. esp when dealers will be looking to offload 2013 inventory. good luck with trade in, but keep expectations low.
__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Mutt
landi jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
CarMax is a great way to gauge the market and what to expect.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Overlander

WF Supporting Member
 
Milkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 447
Well I just placed an order this afternoon for a 2014 JKU Sport. 2% under invoice and got above clean trade on my vehicle I traded in.

I think it's all about finding a dealer that wants to sell, they are small, local and beat everyone else by $1500. When I spoke with the manager he said he knew I was a real sale and he could have the deal done in less than an hour to help this months numbers.
__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Sport
Dinoot Compact RTT Trailer
Milkman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
aypanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 311
You should try and sell it privately. Both you and the potential buyer will get a better deal than what you would get through a dealer. Both sides win. Besides, with the cash you have from the sale, you will have a lot more bargaining power with your 2014 purchase.
aypanthony is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,749
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
I am a member of TL, but even when I got the current rig, I got a better price than TL offers...which is 1% below. Hell, truecar will do 2% right off the bat. Im shooting for 4% below invoice for the new rig, but I need to make sure I get a good trade in price on my current rig.

KBB.com is telling me that my rig in excellent condition is worth $30,122. Is this a realistic number to want?

Tread Lightly/Affiliate pricing STARTS at nothing greater than 1% below invoice....meaning you can't be charged more than 1% below invoice. Chrysler actually rebates the dealer 2% of invoice when the program is used, which is why it is so many people end up at -2% to -4% below invoice when they use the Affiliate discount. It is good for both the buyer and the seller.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypanthony View Post
You should try and sell it privately. Both you and the potential buyer will get a better deal than what you would get through a dealer. Both sides win. Besides, with the cash you have from the sale, you will have a lot more bargaining power with your 2014 purchase.
if you sell privately, you lose out on tax credit. at least thats how it works here in Louisiana.
__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Mutt
landi jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by landi jeep View Post
if you sell privately, you lose out on tax credit. at least thats how it works here in Louisiana.
Maybe if you sell it for what its worth trade-in. Its worth around 3k more retail.
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,749
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypanthony View Post
You should try and sell it privately. Both you and the potential buyer will get a better deal than what you would get through a dealer. Both sides win. Besides, with the cash you have from the sale, you will have a lot more bargaining power with your 2014 purchase.
I agree that you normally get more when you sell privately.....but this is a tough situation.

If I'm buyer, I know I would get a better interest rate and a full warranty, and a clean car history if I buy new...especially if we are talking 3-4% below invoice. It would have to be a heck of a deal to make me go used.

If I'm the seller, I'm not sure if I want to wait on a private buyer to come up with $30,000 for a used vehicle. And depending on the state, the trade-in offset on the sales tax could be massive, and would offset any extra money made on a private sale.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
I'm trying to avoid private sale. I need a vehicle for ferrying my daughter around so I can't have a break in vehicles. Also took me nearly 3 months and a lot of hassle to privately sell my old Acura. Really would be ideal to trade this one, order a new one and drive mine in and pull off in the new one when it arrives.

Question, what happens to all the taxes I paid on the current Jeep? I financed it with $16000 down.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,294
you eat the taxes but you don't pay taxes on the trade diff. so say your new vehicle is 40K and you have to borrow 20K then you only pay tax on 20K.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,595
I traded in a '12 Rubi two door for a '13 four door, had 20k miles on it at the time. I got back 3,000 less than what I paid for the 2 door and got the '13 at USAA prices. Just ballparking but assuming you got a decent deal on your '12 and you can trade it in for between 4k and 5k less than what you paid for it, I think you did ok.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,749
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
I'm trying to avoid private sale. I need a vehicle for ferrying my daughter around so I can't have a break in vehicles. Also took me nearly 3 months and a lot of hassle to privately sell my old Acura. Really would be ideal to trade this one, order a new one and drive mine in and pull off in the new one when it arrives.

Question, what happens to all the taxes I paid on the current Jeep? I financed it with $16000 down.
Your best bet is a trade-in.....especially if you get a good dealer that won't hassle you too much on the miles.

When I ordered my Wrangler, I got the trade-in amount on my Libby from the dealer. They basically not to put a bunch of miles on it (or wreck it)....and that was it. I kept my Libby until I drove it to the dealer to pick up my Wrangler a month later. The tax credit on a high value trade-in is really nice. If taxes are 7.5%, and you get $20G for your trade-in...it is like selling it privately for $21.5G....only without the hassle.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I traded in a '12 Rubi two door for a '13 four door, had 20k miles on it at the time. I got back 3,000 less than what I paid for the 2 door and got the '13 at USAA prices. Just ballparking but assuming you got a decent deal on your '12 and you can trade it in for between 4k and 5k less than what you paid for it, I think you did ok.
I remember you were from Spokane what dealer did you go thru? I am trying to trade my unlimited sport on a rubi.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
I'm trying to avoid private sale. I need a vehicle for ferrying my daughter around so I can't have a break in vehicles. Also took me nearly 3 months and a lot of hassle to privately sell my old Acura. Really would be ideal to trade this one, order a new one and drive mine in and pull off in the new one when it arrives.

Question, what happens to all the taxes I paid on the current Jeep? I financed it with $16000 down.
What other forums are you on? I know your avatar/handle from somewhere. I had an Acura and used to get on Acura-zine or something like that. I'm also a mod on several other forums... just curious.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I remember you were from Spokane what dealer did you go thru? I am trying to trade my unlimited sport on a rubi.
I got the '12 from Dave Smith and traded it in at Barton up on the north side. They were actually pretty easy to deal with, some of their reviews weren't great but I thought I got a pretty sweet deal. We had it all worked out by email, guy there named John Berger.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post

What other forums are you on? I know your avatar/handle from somewhere. I had an Acura and used to get on Acura-zine or something like that. I'm also a mod on several other forums... just curious.
You know me from s2ki. A better question would be what forums I'm NOT on lol.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Thanks for the help guys. Will go tomorrow to the dealer and see what's what. Anyone have a clue when the 14 order banks open up? Would be pissed if crush is killed off.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
I'm trying to avoid private sale. I need a vehicle for ferrying my daughter around so I can't have a break in vehicles. Also took me nearly 3 months and a lot of hassle to privately sell my old Acura. Really would be ideal to trade this one, order a new one and drive mine in and pull off in the new one when it arrives.

Question, what happens to all the taxes I paid on the current Jeep? I financed it with $16000 down.
You pay taxes on the difference of your trade and the new jeep. Lets say you get 28K for your jeep and you pay 34K for the new one you only pay tax on 6K. It has nothing to do with what you finance.
peanut09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
You pay taxes on the difference of your trade and the new jeep. Lets say you get 28K for your jeep and you pay 34K for the new one you only pay tax on 6K. It has nothing to do with what you finance.
Thanks a lot. Going to hit two dealers tomorrow and pin them against each other. However, since I am looking for a 14, they may not care too much since they can't sell me anything "that day." I have noticed that usually dealers don't play ball unless you are willing to drive off that afternoon. Their loss, since in a few months I will be picking up TWO Diesel GC Summit's....maybe I'll let them know so that they try and treat me a little better.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
Overlander

WF Supporting Member
 
Milkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Will go tomorrow to the dealer and see what's what. Anyone have a clue when the 14 order banks open up? Would be pissed if crush is killed off.
14 ordering has been open for a month already. Crush is long gone, the color choices to order right now are:

Flame Red
Black
White
Dune
Billet Silver
Anvil

New colors this year (Not open yet)
Hydro Blue (Freedom Edition Only)
Amp'd
Granite Crystal
Copperhead

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ad-246873.html
__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Sport
Dinoot Compact RTT Trailer
Milkman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
You know me from s2ki. A better question would be what forums I'm NOT on lol.
Ha. me too.

I'm a mod on Teamspeed.com, 6speed.com, funcarsonline.com
and very active on
m5board.com, rennlist.com, audizine.com, lotustalk.com, and tired of typing... too many others to list.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Numbercruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypanthony View Post
You should try and sell it privately. Both you and the potential buyer will get a better deal than what you would get through a dealer. Both sides win. Besides, with the cash you have from the sale, you will have a lot more bargaining power with your 2014 purchase.
I have been trying that with my Mustang for over a month. Not one offer. I am asking $1,000 less than KBB's highest value. My 'stang has been a garage queen from day one. In three years it has 6,000 miles. It is pristine. So why is nobody buying it? My only answer is that at $28k, most buyers have to finance. I of course need a cash sale. The only way to finance a used vehicle is to buy it from a dealer. So unless a person happens across a buyer with a ton of cash, cars at this price point can really sit in a private party sale.

Also, you'll get a sales tax credit when you trade the vehicle in and once over 23k, you are talking about a $2,000+ credit. That makes trading it in a good deal if you can get close to your private party sale price. The big drawback is having to negotiate two numbers at the dealer.

NC
Numbercruncher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Numbercruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Will go tomorrow to the dealer and see what's what. Anyone have a clue when the 14 order banks open up? Would be pissed if crush is killed off.
Sorry bud but Crush got killed off about nine months ago. You can't even find a new 6 speed Rubicon anywhere on the West coast in Crush, Dozer or Gecko. Trust me I have looked.

NC
Numbercruncher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #28
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
Ha. me too.

I'm a mod on Teamspeed.com, 6speed.com, funcarsonline.com
and very active on
m5board.com, rennlist.com, audizine.com, lotustalk.com, and tired of typing... too many others to list.
Then it's probably 6speed. Im just not active on that or L4P anymore.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
Sorry bud but Crush got killed off about nine months ago. You can't even find a new 6 speed Rubicon anywhere on the West coast in Crush, Dozer or Gecko. Trust me I have looked.

NC
So both crush and gecko are dead!?
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Numbercruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
So both crush and gecko are dead!?
Yes and for a long time. Crush, Dozer and Gecko died in October, November and December of last year. There are NO cool colors yet for 2014. I have spent hours searching inventory for 6 speed Rubicons in the three aforementioned colors and have not found one in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Michigan and a half dozen other states. I am trying to work a deal on a black 2013 right now. Not crazy about the color but if the numbers make sense, I'll jump instead of waiting six weeks for a 2014. Summer in the PNW will be over by then.

NC

Edit: Dead means no more new JK's being produced in those colors. I have seen a few sport models still floating around but no Rubi's.

Numbercruncher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC