TrueTrac Setup Please Help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
oliver_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monticello, IN
Posts: 342
TrueTrac Setup Please Help

At some point I'd like to put the TrueTrac limited slip onto my Jeep as it was the only thing it didn't come with. I'm not a huge offroader and I don't think lockers are what I need being its also my DD. I do however go out into my woods that can get sloppy quick and a limited slip front and rear could come in handy? Can someone please show me exact links on what I would need to buy for this kind of setup? I prefer to order from Quadratec or 4 wheel parts or someone large... Excuse my lack of knowledge also. I won't be doing the install myself I'm friends with some guys that will help me I just have to pick what I want.

My Jeep Specs
2012 JKU
Next Gen. Dana 30 Solid Front Axle
Next Gen. Dana 44 HD Rear Axle


Im looking at this:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_602.htm &
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_612.htm

Am I way off?

oliver_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,116
They will help for what you do. They don't work when hanging tires but if you don't see yourself doing that often then you should be fine. Also the front will only work when in 4wd so that is nice too.

As for the kind you need. If you don't have the max tow package then you have 3.21 gears and if you don't plan on regearing, need appropriate spline 27 and 30 for D30 and D44 and numerically lower gear if I am not mistaken.

-Dan

__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Rock Krawler package deals available
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/roc...ml#post9982953
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Just as a FYI--


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
They will help for what you do. They don't work when hanging tires but if you don't see yourself doing that often then you should be fine. Also the front will only work when in 4wd so that is nice too.

As for the kind you need. If you don't have the max tow package then you have 3.21 gears and if you don't plan on regearing, need appropriate spline 27 and 30 for D30 and D44 and numerically lower gear if I am not mistaken.

-Dan
If you're gonna take a chance and open the front/rear diffs----you should regear and add a locker in front--

As Daniel says, the addition in front will ONLY WORK IN 4WD, so an "on Demand" locker in front is a better idea, than a LSD !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
oliver_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monticello, IN
Posts: 342
Ok, Sorry I do have the 3.73 Gear. I could see the point of the Locker for the front.

So I can put this in the rear differential:
Eaton Performance Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip Differential for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Dana 44 Rear Axle - Quadratec

What should I put into the front Dana 30? Does quadratec carry it so I can make the purchase at one vendor?
oliver_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,116
Ok then 3.73 and numberically higher will work for you.

For front I suggest the Eaton E Locker. It is a electric selectable locker, working as an open diff when in 2wd, 4wd but in 4lo have the option of switching to locked. It functions much like the OEM Rubicon locker by the push of a button. Also a bonus for the D30 E Locker is that it is a 4 pin design making it stronger than its D44 counter part which is a 2 pin design. Q-Tec does sell it as well.

As Jimbo said better to purchase gears too and regear while they have your diff apart. I am in the process of collecting parts too, 5.13, E lockers, new diff covers.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Rock Krawler package deals available
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/roc...ml#post9982953
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
oliver_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monticello, IN
Posts: 342
So I would need:
Detroit Locker 19818-010 - Eaton Performance ELocker™ for 27-Spline Dana 30 with 3.73 and Numerically Higher Gear Ratio - Quadratec
and this: Superior Axle and Gear 3700 - Superior Axle & Gear Super Dana® 30 & 44 Bearing Set for OX, Detroit & Ected Lockers - Quadratec

right? Anything else I would need to order? Does the locker come with the switch or do I have to buy something to wire in?

Also, the rear LSD is apparently ready for any gear ratio?
oliver_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
DrHolliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver_jeep View Post
Ok, Sorry I do have the 3.73 Gear. I could see the point of the Locker for the front.

So I can put this in the rear differential:
Eaton Performance Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip Differential for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Dana 44 Rear Axle - Quadratec

What should I put into the front Dana 30? Does quadratec carry it so I can make the purchase at one vendor?
A guy local to me actually run the truetracs in both the front and rear of his TJ. The only time he has ever had an issue is if he gets a tire off the ground, and then he only has to ride the brakes a little bit for it to work. Most people that don't know what he has think he's locked. For what you do I wouldn't even think about a selectable locker in the front (only b/c of the cost difference).
__________________
2011 JK Rubicon 2 door, 3.5" X-Factor mid arm, 1.25" Daystar body lift, 40x13.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers.
DrHolliday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
oliver_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monticello, IN
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHolliday View Post
A guy local to me actually run the truetracs in both the front and rear of his TJ. The only time he has ever had an issue is if he gets a tire off the ground, and then he only has to ride the brakes a little bit for it to work. Most people that don't know what he has think he's locked. For what you do I wouldn't even think about a selectable locker in the front (only b/c of the cost difference).
I was just thinking about that too, as much as a locker is cool we have no rocks to crawl on and at least for 4 or 5 years I won't be taking this out on any major crawls that would get my wheels off the ground and if I did It just seems like I'd want a lift, regear and more so no point in doing that right now when im not sure...
oliver_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHolliday View Post
A guy local to me actually run the truetracs in both the front and rear of his TJ. The only time he has ever had an issue is if he gets a tire off the ground, and then he only has to ride the brakes a little bit for it to work. Most people that don't know what he has think he's locked. For what you do I wouldn't even think about a selectable locker in the front (only b/c of the cost difference).
But there is a difference with the LSD and locker. A locker will lock both wheels, distubuting power evenly to them and LSD will distibute power to ONLY the wheel with traction, I don't think it is capable of full spool. Wheeling just a rear LSD like the OP is contemplating may be worth it and he may rarely need the front locker but it is nice to have that traction capability if needed.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Rock Krawler package deals available
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/roc...ml#post9982953
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
oliver_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monticello, IN
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
But there is a difference with the LSD and locker. A locker will lock both wheels, distubuting power evenly to them and LSD will distibute power to ONLY the wheel with traction, I don't think it is capable of full spool. Wheeling just a rear LSD like the OP is contemplating may be worth it and he may rarely need the front locker but it is nice to have that traction capability if needed.

-Dan
I do agree and I do understand the difference. In my instance for mud and slick fields I shouldn't have any tires leaving the ground. I realize lockers would work better but is it $500 better is my main question...
oliver_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
baytownbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 468
TRUE TRAC DANA 30 FRONT, 3.73 UP (TT 912A585)

I swear by them. YMMV You never know it's working, but you keep going forward. No fighting the steering wheel.

baytownbert is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC